• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check

Check out Jason's one step drill. He explains how to change your posture so that you are catching your weight on the front side inside of tipping over like you are currently:

Check out Jason's one step drill. He explains how to change your posture so that you are catching your weight on the front side inside of tipping over like you are currently:
I actually was watching that yesterday and tried a couple throws like that before I filmed my one leg ones. I'll try it again today probably

Some more one leg tosses today, also threw in a couple of the HUB knee together throws because variety is the spice of life.

I tried to get my weight on my right inner part of my foot before the throw to feel it, not sure if it's visible. I also tried to consciously lead with my rump.
However throwing my hips forward puts me outside the plant on every single throw here...

Why are you throwing your hips forward ? Looks extremely uncomfortable.

Leading with the hips can't really happen in a standstill. I mean it slightly does, but doing a one step will actually allow the hips to lead the motion. In a standstill/one leg drill the hips are pretty much already as forward as they are going to get. The will wipe towards the target (buttwipe drill) but they won't move laterally towards the target much at all. More of a rotation at that point. You are trying to slide laterally instead of rotating and you never get the hips turned back.

You need to really bend those knees more. Almost pretend like you are sitting in a chair. Exaggerate if you need to. Stick the butt out.

I couldn't figure out what it was that looked so wrong with that hip but Negative has it right. That exaggerated hip movement is actually late... AND reinforcing a shift from in front rather than behind.
Check this one out:

I say watch and try these motions and go back and forth with this vid and the both his and SW's one leg video. That weight shift from behind in the backswing is basically where your one leg drill starts.

Right, you are throwing the pelvis forward without really rotating and without striding the front foot, so you end up going right over top your front leg/hip. If your front foot doesn't stride, your pelvis should only move about 1". If your hips stride 6", your foot needs to stride about 6".

Watch and do what SC does below. Note how his rear femur rotates back in backswing in first video.

I think I was mostly frustrated and trying anything I could to keep my hips below my shoulders, even if I came over the plant foot. Try and see if I could feel the kinematic chain through the hips so I knew what to feel for in a normal throw. Didn't really work though.

I'm throwing some more of HUBs knee together drill and beato drill throws but I'm skying everything and it's probably not worth a video yet, I doubt much has changed.

Not sure what discs you are throwing, but use putters - they like height. Looking back at your last vid, you are way too static setting up your swing. Swing back and forth, back and forth and move your feet some and settle the swing into the ground and rhythm with gravity.

veDfb08.png

Here's some poor HUB drills from today. Not muuuch has changed really, probably going to be a while.
What we really need to invent is a exoskeleton which you can wear and it can motion track other people and bend your body through the correct motions. I'd pay money to have my body bent into Lizotte's throwing motion.

I don't really know that drill, but the 2nd last one at 0:55 looked the best to me. Your left foot and left arm both counter the throw through the hit point and the leg swings around after. Your lead leg extends upwards and you end up on top of the leg in balance rather than tilted forward. It looks like you just keep the torso together rather than try to create some fake X-factor by excessively leading with the hips, or go over the top/shoulders first...this one seems much more connected.

That one actually felt good, but I didn't get to see it fly cause I through it straight into the one tree in front of me...
Browsing through other form threads I think I'm gonna spend some time doing the Hershyzer Wall Drill pre throws. Having the wall give immediate feedback feels good.

You don't really want to squeeze the front knee in or both knees into each other - you want to create internal torque between the feet/legs, so that when one of your foots leaves the ground it moves inward toward the other foot/leg which gives the appearance of the squeeze between the knees/Riding the Bull.

Your front leg needs to plant into the ground firmly to brace/balance your spine tilt dynamically upright(see vids above). Note how your spine and face are inline to the rear leg and your rear heel is flat on ground(weight back), while HUB's spine and face are inline to the front leg and his rear heel is up off the ground(de-weighted), so the rear knee/femur(weight) kicks inward and is pinning/pushing you forward and upright onto the braced and fully weighted front leg, so lower spine is braced forward and chin leads the nose forward. You should feel your rear leg pushing or tilting your chin forward of the nose.

MBaY8gZ.png

See Riding the Bull:

I've been gone for a bit since I had a tournament coming up. I stuck with a couple small tweaks I had made like staying on the toe of the left foot, not turning back until the left toe was down and sort of falling into the right heel. I'm sure I was still coming over the top though. I think I really feel coming over the top when I'm tired, as my late round mistakes are definitely throwing it too low and worm burning it.

I'll probably be back on here trying more drills this week and so I have a quick question. In the still above, since HUB is leaned back, his shoulders are also tilted back. How do you prevent skying the disc and get a level release with a leaned back posture like that? Do you just have to sort of come up to perpendicular later in the throw before you release?

Photos from this side can be very deceiving - I'm actually leaned forward over my plant foot and my butt is sticking out, creating counter balance. Your axis that you are throwing on, actually is TILTED (aka Shawn Clement's Tilted Spiral) - it's not stuck in the ground like a pole, it's more like this:

So that as the extension looks like this:

n7hjSMh.png

Yeah it's weird...the green line along the leg up through spine should actually be split at the waist...the spine will keep swiveling tilted and forward and end up leaning over on the plant foot a bit, but not tipping because the rear leg counterweights. So you are rotating around the spine, but the spine is also swiveling toward the front of the teepad.

You can see in the screenshot of Eagle above that at the hit point his spine is not in line with the plant femur anymore, and it has swiveled toward the target line more. If his spine were in line with the femur, his whole body would be leaning back like 20 degrees away from the camera.

If you watch me Riding the Bull looking like a damn fool, you will see how the pool stick(spine) changes dynamic tilt during the throw. I think it's more a forward tilted twirling spiral with the stick still in the ground, but slinging/catapulting the upper body/shoulder around forward from a braced lower spine. The rear arm and leg pin or brace the stick / lower spine forward to the front leg.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you had that bowl video ready to go.

I'm not completely sure I can 100% visualize this in my mind yet, but I kind of get what you all are saying. I was curious mostly because I had a few drives this weekend where I felt kind of like rising up at the end of it/follow through compared to just the normal rotation feeling and was wondering if that was good or bad.

I'm back.
Here is some slow mo of the softest shot in disc golf, the ~100 ft putter up on a minor hyzer. I'm still getting over on a couple of them, but I am trying to brace against that front leg like the HUB drill diagram above.
I apologize for the angle, I thought I was filming more sideways but uh, I wasn't.

Latest posts