• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique 2.0, Still a long way to go

Vega

Form Critique!

I thought about making this another drawn-out, overwhelming post about my entire throwing history, but instead I'll just let you guys take a look and rip me up! I will say, I throw 400-425 on average drive for distance, fairly controllable and with little effort (although adding effort really doesn't help with my distance). I'll only say, I got a bit camera shy (my hot GF was recording :p) and can notice several things in my throw that I know very well I can and should not be doing, but I guess it's good to be recording my bad throws to maybe help eliminate poor habits.

I wanna crush guys, how can I get there? Thanks for the help ahead of time guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirysqNFUo8

Definitely not an expert here but I do read a lot and am actively trying to improve my form. I will let the experts here go in depth but some of the main things that are obvious would be:

Turning back much too early and then "walking" backward into your swing. Results in you dragging the disc and losing acceleration.
Starting your swing/rotation before you plant and let your weight settle.
Disc is nose up on your release.

Hopefully that's helpful. I'm sure you'll get more detailed feedback from others. Good luck!

Slightly off balance, @ 1:30 your front foot is on your toes and your back is on your heal. Stay on the balls of your feet until you rotate on your heal on the front foot.
Your weight transfer is too late, Your back foot should be coming off the ground almost immediately after your front foot touches (watch the big throwers in slow motion to see the timing).
As mentioned before you are performing the "reach back" portion to early which means you don't get the power from rapid contraction then extension of muscles.
Also on your pull through you aren't driving your elbow long enough. As soon as the disc reaches your left pec you start spinning, Drive your elbow forward until the disc reaches your right pec, this will create the whip action

First, you have no reach back. Its all curled up.

Secondly, you are too upright. You need to be behind the throw.

Thirdly, you are releasing nose up.

Fourthly, your stance isn't nearly wide enough. Try opening it up more, while keeping the hips locked closed.

Fifthly, u are watching your throw. Don't. Keep head down.

Sixthly, your arm is too far out away from your body. It has to be in tighter.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, everyone ^ has pointed out the meat and potatoes. There's a lot going on. You are basically throwing a huge air bounce, the nose of the disc is angled major nose up relative your grip and swing plane. If you actually angled the disc nose down in your grip/orientation, you would throw the disc about 10' into the ground in front of you. You turn yourself before your weight and balance shifts forward and end up tipping over the top of your posture. In the backswing or lack of, you are turned backward way way too early to wind into your core, you shouldn't hit the top of the backswing until your front foot plants. The other biggie is your rear toes coming off the ground before your heel and pushing off your rear heel, most top pros don't ever let the rear heel touch the ground, it keeps you more athletic and quick to make a forward move, you can't easily move yourself forward pushing from your heel/toes up.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Last edited:
Okay guys I'm back with a newer video (although much shorter and not in slow-mo by default) about the changes I've made, some for better and some I'm not so sure, about my driving form. I can't really find my first post that I made in early July, so instead I'll just leave you the first YouTube clip so you can see what all I've changed in a long and solid month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirysqNFUo8

The biggest things I focused on were not turning backwards in my run-up, timing my back-swing better to be at full extension when my plant foot hits the ground, and most importantly keeping that nose down! I saw some pretty great increases in power, and after a couple weeks of serious bootcamp, I was able to increase my consistency some as well. I went from 390'-425' on average drives to being able to reach 400' every time no problem, and on occasion stretch one from 425' to 475' when things really click.

However, today was the first day since that last post that I had done any recording and... well it LOOKS like I haven't made a ton of progress on these things, which sucks since I tried to do a total throw reconstruction. I don't think I'll have any tournaments during August, so if I'm gonna make any big changes I'd better get started on them now! Here's the one throw I got today, with a C-line PD which just happened to go 450' into a moderate headwind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y2ZAXtQFDA

Now as usual I have a list of things I know I want to fix, but I'll just let you guys rip it up as usual. My only request this time, and it may sound a little silly, but for all of the big things that need changing, let me know how (if you were me) you would go about practicing and making the necessary changes.

Thanks again guys, for helping me in my quest to crush.

Standstill or at least slow way down. There's some progress, but it's still more of the same issues to keep working on. Much easier/faster to improve efficiency from standstill. You are making such fast and long strides forward, you lose your weight and torque and there's no rhythm. Watch most top pros and you will see they often start from a walk and then hop to gain rhythm/acceleration and shift more weight. Your rear heel on the ground is a no-no for about 99% of the top throwers and you are also turning your head/upper body over the top instead of anchoring for the release of the arm on plane.

Okay, I'm gonna be thinking up some drills while I try to step through some of these changes in my living room until tomorrow evening. I need some clarification on that very last bit though, about how I'm turning my head/ upper body instead of anchoring for the release of the arm on plane..? Break that down for me if you can, some 0:00's in videos would be awesome for me to study! Thanks for what you do SW22.

Latest posts