• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique and Help

rhutch

So first time poster, long time lurker...I'm looking to improve how far I can throw. I've been playing almost 4 years and I've spent the last year and change stuck throwing 400-420' for max distance (RHBH). On a real good throw I might stretch out towards 440'-450', but those are not consistent. I'd like to improve my backhand to the point where 500' is a possibility. I average 290 with Envies, and max 315', 320 with stable midranges (Buzzz, Compass, Roc3), 350-370 with my fairways (Leopard3, Rival, Teebird3), 370-390 with my control drivers (Fortress), and (on my better days) 420' with distance drivers (Champ Shryke, Neutron Octane/Mayhem). I know I have issues with head control (I like to follow my shot), poor angle control at times (turns my shots into two-angle shots), and I think I am starting my shot too early. I also suspect my bracing and angles as a whole could be better.

I'm also throwing in video of my forehand, which is at best a trainwreck, 200-220' on a good day. I'd like to develop it more, as I am more accurate and I find myself becoming more and more forehand dominant on 150' and in approaches. I'd like to get to 300' with it at least.

Thanks in advance for any critique!

BH - Your footwork is sloppy, but seem to manage a decent hooked rip. Huge x-step puts you too backward too early/early reachback and then you go more around your front leg to the left side of the tee instead of bracing more upright and centering your body rotation on the front leg. You want to take a slow and tiny x-step and keep your feet moving more laterally sideways inline to target while still closed or turning closed later into the plant. You do appear to turn early to look ahead to your target, your disc should be your target when in your hand - watch the disc and what you are doing to it. Check Power of Posture, Hershyzer, Butt Wipe, Swivel Chair and Door Frame Drills.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

FH - Again sloppy footwork and your disc is completely upside down in the backswing. You are moving right and left down the teepad instead of straight laterally to target. That leftward stride into the plant opens up your shoulders and severely shortens your swing. Your backswing is winding the arm/disc around off plane. Keep the disc level back and forth like you would hammering a nail. You wouldn't twist the head of the hammer 90 or 180 degrees in the backswing if you want to hit the nail flush with the release of the head of the hammer.

I appreciate the feedback and I'm going through the videos, I got a lot of good stuff out of the farm hammer video especially from a mental aspect. I did have a couple of questions:

-With the forehand, I've practiced the stance change but on the plant foot are you planting open or closed?
-For shortening my x-step, I used to use a hop a la Brinster, should I go back to that? Is there a player to look at as a good form example out there for my size? I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds, fairly broad shoulders/chest and shorter arms.

laIvNHW.png

Brinster hop should put you in more athletic position, but should probably be more vertical than horizontal than you might be used to and slower and more rhythmic. KJ has some fantastic footwork, absolutely smashes with small controlled and efficient x-step.

So I looked at the video of KJ and I think I see what you are talking about with the giant step I take during the turn back portion of my x-step, and I put quite a bit of work into shortening that up this last weekend. I'm going to shoot some more video this weekend. Also, I worked on some of the posture drills but I can't seem to break myself of that early reachback with a disc in hand. Would a forward pump motion like McBeth or KJ use help create a little delay in my reachback? I feel like that is where I lose some potential power.

As for the forehand, I'm scrapping any sort of run-up unil I figure out the basics...

So I looked at the video of KJ and I think I see what you are talking about with the giant step I take during the turn back portion of my x-step, and I put quite a bit of work into shortening that up this last weekend. I'm going to shoot some more video this weekend. Also, I worked on some of the posture drills but I can't seem to break myself of that early reachback with a disc in hand. Would a forward pump motion like McBeth or KJ use help create a little delay in my reachback? I feel like that is where I lose some potential power.

As for the forehand, I'm scrapping any sort of run-up unil I figure out the basics...
Yeah the pre-swing/forward pump can help you be more consistent in the timing (ala Mcbeth, Feldy, KJ, Philo, etc.) but is not totally necessary. I think that's a personal thing. Your swing is your swing, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to try!

Yeah, Feldy's full pre-swing pump was a game changer for me, helped with balance and sequencing everything.

Latest posts