• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Dissection Time

webulu

Dearest DGCR, I'd love some feedback on my driving form. I picked disc golf back up last year after six or seven years off and played ultimate for the better part of a decade. I can consistently get putters out to 250' and distance drivers out to 375'.

Conditions in these videos are 25 F and I was throwing into a 10mph headwind on both videos (which is why the camera is shaking a bit).

FROM THE SIDE

C-line FD3 into a headwind on a flat release at ~90%, went ~300'

FROM THE BACK

Lucid Verdict into the same headwind on a slight hyzer at ~80%, flipped up to flat and finished pretty straight, ~275'

My self-critique:
* I feel like my plant step is a little more out to the left than it should be, which is why I am slightly off-balance (falling to the right) during my brace.
* My reach-back is not entirely straight - the disc comes up a little before I hit.
* I think the disc could be in a little tighter to my chest when I'm pulling through (which might be more pronounced today with how many layers I was wearing).

All feedback appreciated. Thanks!

I've done all this before. First thing to think of is pelvis vs. hips. Pelvis is the whole unit, hips are the tops of the femurs into the pelvis.

You are turned too far backwards, like 30 degrees back with the pelvis, and walking backwards toward the target. You need to be aligned more parallel to the direction you are striding, so that you can actually turn into the rear hip to load up. If you are turned backward, then you have to be nearly completely backwards to get any load into the rear hip. It won't really happen.

So stride more laterally toward the target, and that will also let you plant more toward the target. Turn into the rear hip to load up. Land in a closed front side. You will have to keep striding in the same direction, and land into a turned back front hip, rather than starting closed and planting out wide.

Being turned back early prevents any proper load, and stepping out to the side may seem like a closed plant, but it's not, and it's just getting your body in the way of where you're supposed to throw. When you stride laterally and land closed, your body will get out of the way when it's time to unwind.

I would look at the Hershyzer drill to help stride laterally, leading with the lower body, since you are not "shifting from behind". Also crush the can drills, there are several on this youtube channel, will show how to land balanced on a closed front side. If you support your spine through your right side and heel, then your body weight will be stacked to crush the can, rather than reaching out to stomp on it with your heel in an active way.

There are probably a few different drill videos that can apply, but I'm trying to point out what to focus on and how these videos may help in those cases.

This one should help with a lot of your issues as well:

Latest posts