• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form/Technique suggestions

ChanningP

I am having some trouble with my distance and I'm trying to slow everything down to fix my form. I know I need a further reach back and my foot work isn't the best, but are there any other suggestions you all could give me? Both of these throws went around the 280-300' mark. Thanks in advance for the help.

Waymon

http://youtu.be/4fhgcYnb2Dk

http://youtu.be/ooByvWCUIyQ

Last edited:
Don't throw a Destroyer at Calvert, wait keep doing that, I don't want you to throw far, you beat me every round except the last on the green monster. The issues I see are pretty much what you noted, footwork, and clearing the backswing and downswing. You are not using your hips/transferring weight properly and getting too open, limiting snap potential and core power. Teach me to putt/approach and I'll teach you to throw far. :hfive:

Pay special attention to around the 2 minute part where he talks about spinning out.

Haha...I need those destroyers for some holes at Calvert. To be honest I'm not sure who I'm talking to here? Thanks for the video though... getting my hips and lower body into my throw is turning out to be really difficult for some reason, hopefully nothing a little fieldwork cant fix:thmbup:

Looks to me like you're releasing the disc waaaay early. Doesn't seem like that disc is ripping out of your grip at all. It also looks like your pull is too low and your upper body/front shoulder is opening up too soon. I think the front shoulder opening is what's making it look like the disc is coming out too early, I'll post a video that explains that better than I can. But the long throwers tend to keep that front shoulder closed as long as possible and rip the disc across their chests and let the disc get to their right peck with the shoulder still extended before they accelerate late and induce that hard snapping motion, which is where distance comes from really.

low pull, missing right peck
pullw.jpg

early release/ front shoulder open
pull2t.jpg

Will Schusterick: Closed front shoulder/ pull across chest/ disc to right peck with elbow still closed
willgk.jpg

And finally, video explaining the closed front shoulder and snap ideas that I was talking about.

And I guess I'll add the slow mo of Will from the still image I posted

I almost posted the closed shoulder drill, but it looks to me the disc is pivoting and ripping out, albeit from an open position as the shoulders just follow the hips. It will still help none the less.

Yeah, the more I watched him the more I realized it was ripping out but the visual was a product of him opening up too soon. Also, when I said getting the disc to your right pec with your 'shoulder' extended, I meant elbow, not shoulder.

It looks to me like you are not getting good snap because you lack good forearm/wrist tension.

You're not getting your thumb opened up enough on your reach back, which means your muscles aren't relaxed and stretched out on your reach back. You're not resisting the inward bend on the way to the power zone, which prevents good loading of the forearm muscles/wrist, and because of those things, you're not getting good tendon bounce or thumb extension at the apex of your shot, which is what ejects the disc from your hand.

You can watch almost any pro and see them open up their wrist a little bit right before going into their shot (see video of Nikko for a good example). When you do the Nikko pre-shot routine, you feel a little stretch in the forearm all the way through the base of your thumb, and that's the feeling you want on your reach back. Those are the muscles that produce snap, and you aren't loading them up, which is what's preventing you from getting explosive throws. You'll get a real heavy feeling in your forearm when you really snap the **** out of a disc.

This is why I love this forum. Sure, if needed the vets around here will give the posts requiring it a metric ton of sh*t, but when there is an obvious need of feedback from folks who have "been there, done that" you guys come through in a big way with feedback, videos and suggestions. Just wanted to personally thank y'all. I did not mean to hijack your thread bud, just felt the need to show some love. Carry on.

Thanks a bunch for the replies! All the tips made good sense and I'm excited to starting working on them. The videos really helped make every thing clear as well. I never really noticed that I was opening up my shoulder that early until you mentioned it, nuke. Once I work on these things I will post another video and let you all see the progress, hopefully.:D

Latest posts