• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fort Snelling and Wirth Par 3

I have a friend who LOVES Ft. Snelling and (before I moved back to WI) was constantly trying to get me there to play.

I've played it twice, and to be honest, I found it a little boring. Long, unchallenging fairways and a semi-protected basket to finish. It was sort of a one trick pony for me. I'd rather play Kaposia, Acorn, Oakwood or even North Valley.

That being said, having the amenities of a regular golf course (cart rental, beer/snack purchases, beautiful fairways) is definitely a plus.

I've never played Wirth, but I can see that being a bit more of a challenge that Ft. Snelling.

Just my 2 cents.

The courses are worth $5 ($2.50 for 55+ and 17 and under) or $45 for the season. I suppose there's no way to prove that until you go play them, though.

That's not to bad of a deal.... I just may have to do that, since I live just down cedar south of MOA now.

At Wirth, there is a near-Plinko finishing hole, and three to nine others where the pin is in the deep woods (depending on the layout). Wirth Par 3 takes about an hour and a half with a group, an hour if you are alone. The golfers (if any) let you play through; they know how fast the disc golfers are.

Wirth does not take a hour alone, I dont think it took the groups of 4-6 over a hour, we generally would play about 3 rounds per time. The main reason to play there was a few live right down the road and it was kind of a weekly thing to see if someone could beat the course record which was like -14 and we had a ton of -10 to -13 rounds in there. Its a course where if you have a terrible terrible round you will shoot under par. Its a place to bring your girlfriend who hates playing in the woods and gives her a shorter teebox to get chances at deuces.

My personal opinions to make wirth possibly tougher. Use the woods a little better where the pin placement for early in the year #2 is and a few other baskets right on the edge of the woods. Maybe make 2 tight woods holes in there, I would say maybe leave hole 1 and fall 2 alone, tee 3 up into the woods up the hill, then put 4 somewhere else in there as well but its just an idea; not sure if there is alot of poison ivy though because there is if you skip away into the edge on hole 9. I would like to see hole 10 basket up higher about 40 ft behind a couple more trees higher on the hill. The other turnoff for the price is it is NOT 5 dollars, it is 5 dollars plus tax which is like 5.35 or whatever. I told my friend to bring 5 bucks the first time I went to play there because I heard it was 5 bucks, so he did not bring anything else with him other than a 5 as I drove and ended up being more than 5 bucks. Def was disappointing to all who have not played there before to be taxed and charged per round not per day

Last edited:
...Maybe make 2 tight woods holes in there...I would like to see hole 10 basket up higher...

The original design had two holes up on that mound behind hole 1. That's still a possibility. Also, there is another anchor location higher up on 10. It's probably a half a throw tougher, because it sits on the side of a hill that slopes down to OB. And you have to throw over the OB to get to the target. Oh, and the OB is blind from the tee. Easy 3 for those who can't reach the OB from the tee. Possible 5 for those who can. Be careful what you wish for. We might use it this year.

Yeah, the tax sucks, but if anyone can afford to pay for a ball park for a billionaire to get richer by charging wealthy people huge fees to watch baseball, it's disc golfers, right? [sarcmark]

The original design had two holes up on that mound behind hole 1. That's still a possibility. Also, there is another anchor location higher up on 10. It's probably a half a throw tougher, because it sits on the side of a hill that slopes down to OB. And you have to throw over the OB to get to the target. Oh, and the OB is blind from the tee. Easy 3 for those who can't reach the OB from the tee. Possible 5 for those who can. Be careful what you wish for. We might use it this year.

Yeah, the tax sucks, but if anyone can afford to pay for a ball park for a billionaire to get richer by charging wealthy people huge fees to watch baseball, it's disc golfers, right? [sarcmark]

Not to mention then they dump their payroll way down by 10's of millions. Steve can you guys do some sort of disc magic so we can play these courses already and get this cold out of here.

Not to mention then they dump their payroll way down by 10's of millions. Steve can you guys do some sort of disc magic so we can play these courses already and get this cold out of here.

On it. Stay tuned.

The problem with Theo and Snelling

There are a few problems that stand out to me with these courses. First they are the most expensive courses in the entire state. You can go to BRP and play a 27 hole course as many times as you want for only 5 bucks even. The courses are also two extremes. The only time I played Theo I think I only touched my driver once, it was pretty much a putter only course, which can be fun for practice but some more variety would be nice. Fort Snelling is the opposite. Everything is super long, all my friends who had smaller arms where rather misserable when we played there. Also we had some rather long waits due to ball golfers and kind of felt like we where second class golfers. Not from how we where treated but just from the waits and how things are set up. My last gripe might just be a person pet peeve but I feel like the only real challenge besides the distance was to just put the t pad directly behind a tree. I love obstaicles but on a hole or two it felt like there was no line at all, just a tree in your way. If you want more people to play I would lower the price or make a season pass super cheap. Then give more variety to the courses. just my 2cents

So called yesterday, talked to the guy in the clubhouse and explained we planned on coming down for a round of DG... inquired regarding a tee-time, which he said was not necessary being a slower morning... Only to show up to the course, with golfers playing but no baskets...?! Lame.

I agree that Wirth and Fort Snelling feel like two extremes and both could benefit from a little more variety in length. My only other complaint with Wirth is it's been a muddy mess the times I've played there. Not the fault of the designer of course! I think that it does a great job at being a beginners/rec course. There's some fun shots and decent variety. I think that if traffic isn't meeting your expectations it's likely because there's so many free options for beginners and rec players that the fee (which as far as I'm concerned is nominal) would likely deter some people.

As far as Ft Snelling goes much of what I would like to see (elevation, woods, etc.) the land simply doesn't possess, so what are you going to do? It is a shame the Ash trees are gone. That's going to hurt for a while. As far as the layout goes I would move the blue tee for #2 closer to BG #9's green to get you out of the way of Ball Golfers teeing off on #1 and try to do something with #'s14,15,16 all traversing BG #8 3 times. Maybe move 14's tees over by 18's gold tee? These are the only two spots on the course for me that seem to cause conflicts with the Ball Golfers on a semi-regular basis.

Which brings me to my last point. There are many people who simply don't like sharing. Playing along side Ball Golfers is something they're just not going to go for no matter what you do.

So called yesterday, talked to the guy in the clubhouse and explained we planned on coming down for a round of DG... inquired regarding a tee-time, which he said was not necessary being a slower morning... Only to show up to the course, with golfers playing but no baskets...?! Lame.

I don't know whether to ask:

Did you noticed the baskets were gone before you paid?
or
How does the course play with no baskets?

Yep, that's lame. Or more likely deaf. I'm betting the guy that you talked to on the phone didn't hear you say "disc". I don't run the place.

When I hear the baskets are in, I'll post here and on TCDG facebook.

...As far as the layout goes I would move the blue tee for #2 closer to BG #9's green to get you out of the way of Ball Golfers teeing off on #1 and try to do something with #'s14,15,16 all traversing BG #8 3 times. Maybe move 14's tees over by 18's gold tee?

Those are good ideas. I know because I also thought of them. ;)

We'll be sacrificing some of the alternate target locations to enable changes like this. (And its BG#7. We don't use #9 at either course so the ball golfers can cleanse their mind of disc golfers before they go home.)

lol no we just drove up and noticed right away. I know not on you at all or them was an easy mistake but just sad we didn't get to play more than anything-- N. valley park was fine :) We will wait for confirmation next time!

You can go there and play. I haven't said anything because last time I checked, some of the baskets were in the wrong positions - intermingled with other tees, for example. OK if you're the only group on the course, bit not crowd-ready. I'm waiting for word that they fixed the basket locations.

Also, the layout doesn't quite follow the map on the scorecard for a few holes. Changes were needed because of all the trees cut.

I think this layout will actually be more fun than either the "a" or "b" of prior years - once it is in place.

(If you go, let me know whether the basket for 13 is under the big tree or in front of the sand trap.)

Fort Snelling is what I was talking about. Wirth Par 3 is not open, and has no baskets yet.

Latest posts