• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found an Ace Disc

But where does one draw the line of a reasonable attempt to reach a disc owner?

I think a reasonable attempt is texting the phone number and/or searching for the pdga# on dgscene and sending them a message.

If they don't have a dgscene profile, then you made your attempt. And it took less than a minute.

Edit: And I should note that if you don't have a dgscene profile, you might not be able to send messages so this route may not be feasible in those situations.

I agree with everything else you said and I myself have had someone find my disc 6 hours away from where I lost it.

But I just want to make a point that some people don't write their phone #s on discs because they don't want their phone #s out there. And some people don't contact others because they don't want their phone #s out there. Dgscene doesn't have any phone numbers involved.

Most dgscene course pages are littered with people saying what disc they lost and where they lost it. That website truly provides a lost and found for disc golf.

Not putting a phone number to protect privacy is fine. Just don't expect people to go to a lot of trouble trying to track you down.

As another poster mentioned, a dog walker found his disc. Do you think a dog walker would even know what PDGA# means? Or that they would be familiar with discgolfscene?

Not putting a phone number to protect privacy is fine. Just don't expect people to go to a lot of trouble trying to track you down.

As another poster mentioned, a dog walker found his disc. Do you think a dog walker would even know what PDGA# means? Or that they would be familiar with discgolfscene?

I put my phone number on my discs, I just wanted to say some people don't. Obviously someone who only puts their pdga # knows it won't be returned by a non discer. Infact, I bet most discs aren't returned by non discers even if your phone number and address are on the disc.

And searching on dgscene is no trouble at all. You go to a website, click on the search box and type the number. If they have a profile, you can send them a message.

I put my phone number on my discs, I just wanted to say some people don't. Obviously someone who only puts their pdga # knows it won't be returned by a non discer. Infact, I bet most discs aren't returned by non discers even if your phone number and address are on the disc.

And searching on dgscene is no trouble at all. You go to a website, click on the search box and type the number. If they have a profile, you can send them a message.

What I was trying to explain is that I am a disc golfer and if the only thing on a disc is a PDGA number, I am not spending a moment of my time on a computer trying to track down the owner. I spend 50-60 hours a week on a computer for work. I spend 0 hours a week on computer when i am not at work.

I appreciate that you think dgscene is easy to use. It may not be so for less technology inclined. Regardless, if i can dial a number at the moment i find the disc i will. Beyond that I am not spending my limited free time trying to track down an owner.

I tracked down a guy by PDGA # one time. Pain in the ass, won't be doing it again. If there is a number, I'll text it. If there is a name, I'll ask around a bit with the regulars.

How were you able to track down someone with pdga # if you didn't use dgscene? PDGA website and look for tournys they signed up for?

Quick story: a couple of weeks ago a buddy loses a disc, someone posts on a local FB page that they found it but has a PDGA # and no phone #, 2 min later someone else posts a screenshot from PDGA page with my buddy's name, soon after I tell my buddy about it, he PMs the finder and gets his disc back. No private info shared to the world. PDGA #s can work just fine.

True story.

I'm in charge of sweeping the lost disc lockboxes at 3 of our local courses. Everything gets taken to the local shop, and the folks at the shop make the calls. It's a busy shop, as they do screenprinting along with DG related sales, so they may not get to calling on all of them for a week or two. I'll often drop 30-40 discs/week, and the one's with no info, or just a PDGA # automatically just go into the bins to be picked up. They have other things to do than try to look someone up by their PDGA #, it's a big enough pain in the a** trying to contact people with full mailboxes, illegible info, or old phone #'s.

So I gather then that if I find one with just a PDGA # on it, I no longer need to care about trying to return it. The owner isnt interested in being contacted. Check.

For ones with numbers, knowing how I am about answering calls from numbers I don't recognize, I send a text to the phone # with a pic of the disc and take it from there. Every reply I've gotten from doing this has resulted in a returned disc, and every disc of mine that was found that I received a text about, I've gotten back.
Couple weeks ago I received a pic of a disc and told them exactly where I'd lost it, and they laughed and stated it was at a completely different course. So someone had found it, not bothered to text or call, played with it and lost it themselves (had only been missing a few weeks) and someone else found it and contacted me and I got it back.

Thanks to all that take the 10 secs it takes to snap a pic and text it! And GFYS to those that find discs with a local # and name and just keep it. :)

Careful....seems like more and more public figures are getting trouble for haphazardly sending disc-pics around

If its too much work for you to return a disc without a phone number then maybe you could just leave it alone rather than steal it. Or at the very least get it to the lost and found, if its not too much of a burden on you and your precious time.

If its too much work for you to return a disc without a phone number then maybe you could just leave it alone rather than steal it. Or at the very least get it to the lost and found, if its not too much of a burden on you and your precious time.

Not all courses have a lost and found. Not sure Ive ever even seen one before. My new policy is if there is no phone number or email or some kind of direct contact info, I'm leaving it by the 1st teepad. Or, hypothetically if available, the lost and found.

I have done this before, but I confess always with high speed stuff I can't throw anyway....:)

Yeah I don't need to pack around someone's disc that I will probably never see, Facebook has been handy for finding the owners.. One guy posted on our club page he was missing two well loved black wizards after the tourney, I got tagged and had it figured within a day or two... right on man, really happy to help thanks for making an effort.

Someone else lost a soft Envy here, which I'm coveting... I've posted on our club page, left it out at my place with the other stuff that was left and now it's sitting in my lost and found box waiting for next year... calling me.. Throw me, throw me. Black btw with incomplete sharpie I even tried black light to see if I could see more. 1-1988 what kind of number is that? If it is a PDGA it's a guy in Florida that's inactive.. I think it was this kid or his dad's maybe, ironically or karmically enough if it is the kid, he wanted one of my used discs I was selling, a Beast, was out of money so I ended up just giving him to encourage the young dudes career. Might have been an unintended trade haha. I meet so many people I can't even remember where they're from. I find that frustrating, I've had some here for over 4 years..

I guess there's some privacy issues with phone numbers but geez I hate getting stuck with discs I can't get back to people and I dislike it when they want me to mail it at my cost... if it's got a number I text it and tell them it's at the course. There's two lost and found on our public course. The one where we wall hang it and it likely gets poached by someone else and the stash above the map hut... locals use the stash spot....

I guess my point is: help me to help you.

I found a disc on the roof of the Community Center on our local course. The older folks eat lunch there during the week - the rest of the time, the building seems to be empty. So one day I reached up there with an extension pole and pulled it down. It was a Champion Wraith I believe - something fast, anyway. The name and phone number were written on the inside rim, so I called him.

A voice answered, and I asked if it was the name written on the disc. He didn't confirm or deny - just says "Who wants to know?" Decided not to be offended and said I found his disc... he immediately became friendly and started thanking me. We made arrangements for him to come get it from behind a bush on the course.

I thought it was odd that someone that came across so paranoid would put his name and number on a disc! But then, a week later, I got a text from an unfamiliar number. It said, "Is this Kyle?" I figured if it was a spammer, they wouldn't know my first name, so I replied "Yes it is...". I thought of all of the nefarious things that could happen to me if I gave out too much personal information, so I was plotting my revenge when he wrote back again and said "I found your disc!" So I was getting as paranoid as the guy with the disc that I called about, even though I knew that would happen. Still, when that text came in, I wasn't expecting it, so I feared the worst.

Overall, I figure that the identity thieves are not frequenting the DG courses all that much, so I'm taking the chance with mine and writing my name, phone, and PDGA #s just in case.

Anyone ever gotten a call and promise to return, and never have it show up?

I mean, I get that taking it to the post office and sending it to another state is a pain, but if you can't do that just say so. Not like I was anxiously checking the mail for a month before I gave up on getting it back...

Anyone ever gotten a call and promise to return, and never have it show up?

I mean, I get that taking it to the post office and sending it to another state is a pain, but if you can't do that just say so. Not like I was anxiously checking the mail for a month before I gave up on getting it back...

I did have a guy call me about a lost disc a couple years ago. He said "I'm not going to return it, I just want to know how it flies".

I am going to use that line as opening text the next time I find a disc of someone I know or am familiar with.
Thanks Tripper!

Best part is it was a putter that had hit a tree on my upshot and got treejected into the lake at Buckhorn DGC. So the disc finder says "it must be a great disc if you almost made the water carry of the tee". So of course I said "I never had a problem with it making it over the water (because i've never tried)".

Now I am left to wonder if my disc is back in the lake again.