• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fountain Hills disc golf course- lakes

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
This is the beautiful course where the PDGA Memorial is held in AZ. I'm wondering if anyone on this board plays there regularly.

What I'm more wondering is if anyone ever goes out in those lakes retrieving discs. There have to be hundreds (if not thousands) thrown in there.

Is going out in the lakes even allowed? Lots of diabolical water carries out there. I figure you could find 100 discs in that water in a couple hours.

Unless it is strictly disallowed and enforced, Im sure someone goes in. Theres always someone willing to pond dive on holes where that many discs are thrown in the water.

This is the beautiful course where the PDGA Memorial is held in AZ. I'm wondering if anyone on this board plays there regularly.

What I'm more wondering is if anyone ever goes out in those lakes retrieving discs. There have to be hundreds (if not thousands) thrown in there.

Is going out in the lakes even allowed? Lots of diabolical water carries out there. I figure you could find 100 discs in that water in a couple hours.

the water at Fountain Hills is treated sewage

the water at Fountain Hills is treated sewage

That right there makes me wonder how in the world they get away with having that giant fountain in the middle. I have to believe with a strong breeze the mist from that could be considered a health hazard to people in the park. "Treated" is a bit of a vague term to me and a lot of the reviews state that the water is rather smelly so that leaves me to wonder what the parks definition of "treated" means lol. :gross:

Better question. If you know a pond is treated sewage, do you go in there to retrieve discs?

If someone gave you back a disc that was pulled from a pond of treated sewage, would you keep it?

The fountain could serve as an aerator which helps the bacteria in a treatment plant do their job. But if the water is already treated then I guess that's not the case. Water released from the plant is supposed to be safe. In any case, I wouldn't be disc diving in it. I just couldn't get past the thought of it. :gross:

It's what we in Florida call "reclaim water". You can use it to water your grass, but don't drink or shower in it. (Even though it's probably safe).

It's what we in Florida call "reclaim water". You can use it to water your grass, but don't drink or shower in it. (Even though it's probably safe).

It's called the same here. The course at Vista Del Camino has the same reclaimed water, and discs end up at Spinners. I think they also end up there from Fountain eventually.

I was at the memorial last year and saw some people raking out discs that went in. I also threw some discs in and waded to where I last saw them and couldn't find them. My aunt also kindly sacrificed one of my discs to the lake.

I was at the memorial last year and saw some people raking out discs that went in. I also threw some discs in and waded to where I last saw them and couldn't find them. My aunt also kindly sacrificed one of my discs to the lake.

I'd think that if you put some decent time into wading around you'd find tons of discs. I've seen guys retrieve discs with rakes, but its not overly effective. I guess it depends how deep the lakes there are and how easy it is to find discs in there. If the bottom is rocky it would be tough.

A course here in CO has a bunch of water holes, but nothing like that place. If you put some time in you can find 100 in a day. The way those holes at Fountain Hills are situated I'd think you'd be looking at hundred(s).

I'm not sure you can legally go in the water at Vista or Fountain. At least it was a law not just a TD suggestion when I played out there.

I lived in Phoenix for a little while and you do not want to go in that water for an extended period of time.

There are signs up warning against it.

My dad is a Realtor in the area, and mentioned that homeowners around Fountain Hills don't care for the fountain.

Apparently it etches their windows and eats away at paint (both homes and cars).

Because of this, they rarely have the fountain at it's full height anymore.

One of the old timers told me that they drained the lake years ago and pulled out 1,000's of discs, some of which were breaking down from the water.

So yeah, gross.

I dive stagnant ponds, and yet I don't think my battery of immunizations and protective gear are up to challenging the biota of that lake. I'll pass, thanks.

Less than ideal for the water hazards to actually be hazardous water. :\

Feldberg is on smashboxx, someone should message Terry and have him ask about the lake...

Last edited:
im not sure why one would want to find 100 dx discs with an hours time, when i could just go to the store and pay $10 for the specific disc i want and in a pretty color.

No locals responded so here is what I learned about Fountain Hills Lake when I played there: Most of the water in the lake is treated effluent, (sewer water),but it is far from dangerous. Nutrient levels are low (an indication of tertiary treatment); that's why it's not pea soup green and doesn't smell bad. The entire bottom is concrete to prevent water loss from percolation into the soil. That's why there are no shoreline or shallow-water plants. There is no outflow from the lake so with high evaporation rates due to intense sun and high temps, the water becomes high in dissolved minerals. Some residents don't like the fountain because when the spray evaporates it leaves mineral deposits behind. Basically the same as "spotting" on glassware. The once-an-hour fountain display is a compromise to reduce the deposits on structures and vehicles and conserve electric usage. The water is not corrosive. A City ordinance prohibits entering the water. There is some agreement with authorized persons to retrieve discs but I don't know the details. The methods allowed are specific to prevent damage to the concrete bottom and underwater utility conduits. The design and engineering of the fountain were state of the art when built in 1970. IMO that water is WAY cleaner than any other body of water I've seen folks retrieve discs from.

im not sure why one would want to find 100 dx discs with an hours time, when i could just go to the store and pay $10 for the specific disc i want and in a pretty color.

But think about how good that broken in plastic will be after all that time in the treated sewage...