• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FPO putting

Anyone care to give their theory on why Catrina sometimes putts with her bag on her shoulder (and I don't mean tap-ins).

Once in a while I will develop a habit of allowing my shoulder to fly open, causing me to miss right. Sometimes it helps to keep a bag on that shoulder to encourage me to not move it. I highly doubt this is why Cat does it but it is a theory :D

I hear that said a lot. But I'm more interested in seeing the best of the best. I like NBA, I've never seen a WNBA game.
No offense to women, but I want to see what is possible in frolf, not what any average guy can do at a local league. Besides Paige Pierce women's golf is just not interesting in my opinion.

PP is elite advanced. She is impressive considering her 100 pound frame and size. Her throwing form is elite. She putts pretty good.

If you said avg MPO local leaguer then I would agree. I think maybe you meant that.

A roommate of mine was big into basketball. He was about 5'11" or 6'0". He played JV ball in high school, but didn't make varsity. Then he went to college on a cross country running scholarship. He was one of the better players in intramural basketball and then in rec league ball when we got out of school, but wasn't dominant. Basically, if he was the best player on the team, the team likely wasn't one of the better teams in the league. We lived in the same complex of condos as a WNBA superstar who is now in the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. We'd all play ball together and they'll play one on one a lot. Sometimes, she could beat him because she was a few inches taller and could post him up, but he beat her probably 67% of the time.

I do think FPO stacks up similarly. With that said, I never really watched basketball with the idea of improving my basketball game and that is not the case with disc golf. I do prefer MPO for the wow factor, but I watch FPO and often enjoy it more. Part of that is because nothing is really a gimme and part of it it that it is applicable to my game. Can't reach long par 3's and don't drain putts from everywhere? Want to average 930 or so? You'll see someone that has that recipe.

A roommate of mine was big into basketball. He was about 5'11" or 6'0". He played JV ball in high school, but didn't make varsity. Then he went to college on a cross country running scholarship. He was one of the better players in intramural basketball and then in rec league ball when we got out of school, but wasn't dominant. Basically, if he was the best player on the team, the team likely wasn't one of the better teams in the league. We lived in the same complex of condos as a WNBA superstar who is now in the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. We'd all play ball together and they'll play one on one a lot. Sometimes, she could beat him because she was a few inches taller and could post him up, but he beat her probably 67% of the time.

I do think FPO stacks up similarly. With that said, I never really watched basketball with the idea of improving my basketball game and that is not the case with disc golf. I do prefer MPO for the wow factor, but I watch FPO and often enjoy it more. Part of that is because nothing is really a gimme and part of it it that it is applicable to my game. Can't reach long par 3's and don't drain putts from everywhere? Want to average 930 or so? You'll see someone that has that recipe.

Random side question, but typically how would he win against her? I'm curious if he was just a better shooter, faster, played better defense, just overall a smarter player and could take advantage of her downsides, or something else?

All of us here are disc golf players. I agree is is fun and entertaining to watch what is possible. Sure we watch for entertainment, but we also play the exact same game.

But, how can you criticize someone who does what you do, only they do it better, AND they have found a way to do it for a living? i think if James Conrad didn't make THE shot, we would be talking about Catrina Allen's 2nd shot on hole 18 at the Fort in final round at the Worlds. Or Tattar's 50 foot almost blind uphill putt on hole 17 in the final round at Great Lakes Open. Or Missy Gannon's first win at the Des Moines Challenge? Her putting was lights out. This year was very entertaining on both sides.

Conrad's historic shot overshadowed Catrina's amazing finish and Paige's epic collapse at World's for certain.

Even before the Conrad throw-in I thought this year's World Championships were compelling.

Random side question, but typically how would he win against her? I'm curious if he was just a better shooter, faster, played better defense, just overall a smarter player and could take advantage of her downsides, or something else?

She was a better shooter. She was also a smarter player and had more reach. He had a lot more quickness, could out jump her, and was a better ball handler. He could consistently drive past her on offense, and could generally stay in front of her on defense and force her to take tough shots.

Lol @ frolf.

I personally think last season was highly entertaining on both the MPO and FPO side. Close finishes, different players in the mix each week, all good stuff. Plus there is more and more content being put out in the off season if entertainment is what you are looking for.

I'm ok with FPO and MPO games being different. It is fun watching Eagle mash 700 foot drives, but I think most of us can relate more to the FPO side of the game in terms of distance and putting percentage.

I agree that there was some entertaining DG being played in both groups.

autocross makes the point about someone that plays more along the line of what I hope to be able to do. I agree with that and it's one reason I started watching some of the FPO. Maybe learn something relevant to my potential.

One thing I would like to see is the FPO playing the same course as the MPO more often to validate the ratings of the players. Not that I'm arguing the ratings aren't valid, but that we don't get that upper level apples to apples very often.

She was a better shooter. She was also a smarter player and had more reach. He had a lot more quickness, could out jump her, and was a better ball handler. He could consistently drive past her on offense, and could generally stay in front of her on defense and force her to take tough shots.
Did they use a men's or women's basketball?

I wonder how much the WNBA free throw percentage would reduce using men's basketball.

Did they use a men's or women's basketball?

I wonder how much the WNBA free throw percentage would reduce using men's basketball.

Men's ball.

Which I doubt was a problem for her, but might be a problem for some of their smaller players.

I agree that there was some entertaining DG being played in both groups.

autocross makes the point about someone that plays more along the line of what I hope to be able to do. I agree with that and it's one reason I started watching some of the FPO. Maybe learn something relevant to my potential.

One thing I would like to see is the FPO playing the same course as the MPO more often to validate the ratings of the players. Not that I'm arguing the ratings aren't valid, but that we don't get that upper level apples to apples very often.

Even then they should be playing different tees. Unless you mean play the same tees? i think that is a terrible idea. They've done it, the ladies hate it and i don't expect it to be repeated anytime soon. Tee placement should always reflect the ability of the players in that group. If a shot calls for a midrange fro MPO, then it should also call for a midrange from FPO. in my area, they are constantly putting 50+ age groups on the back tees and i hate it and don't understand it. It takes the fun and enjoyment away.

I'll guess that it is an intentional nonchalant approach that she hopes is a cure for the yips.

That's what I think is going on as well.
I see it a lot in ball golf where a player doesn't take their normal stance for a 3 foot putt and putts with 1 hand or just swipes at the ball. If they miss they can justify it by thinking "I would have made it if I really tried".
I think it's some kind of a defense mechanism.

Come to think of it, I see it a lot in disc golf too.

Similar story here. Freshman year of college, I played intramural basketball for my all-male dorm room floor's team. We weren't very good, but our best player had a part-time gig as a practice squad player for the women's University team. He was consistently told to "go easy" on the women's team in practice, because he was so much better than any of them that it was demoralizing and wasn't effective practice for them. For context, the women's team had a .600 winning percentage that year as a team in the Big 12 Conference. Not a dominant team by any means, but no slouch either.

Similar story here. Freshman year of college, I played intramural basketball for my all-male dorm room floor's team. We weren't very good, but our best player had a part-time gig as a practice squad player for the women's University team. He was consistently told to "go easy" on the women's team in practice, because he was so much better than any of them that it was demoralizing and wasn't effective practice for them. For context, the women's team had a .600 winning percentage that year as a team in the Big 12 Conference. Not a dominant team by any means, but no slouch either.

Yeah. I knew some dudes that practiced with the women at University of Tennessee. They couldn't really find dudes that weren't playing other sports that could run with them, but we are also talking about a team that went 39-0 with a 31 point average margin of victory and multiple future hall of famers. So these random guys were giving them tougher competition than what they'd get playing their schedule.

So a guard against a forward? One on one, unlimited dribbles? Yawn. It's a team game, especially on defense. If you're making a point about her basketball skills based on playground one on one, it's a poor point.

So a guard against a forward? One on one, unlimited dribbles? Yawn. It's a team game, especially on defense. If you're making a point about her basketball skills based on playground one on one, it's a poor point.

Are you saying one on one is a poor test of skills? I would agree that it is an incomplete test of skills, but not at all a poor test. The most skilled players are excellent at one on one.

Even in a team game, a player's individual skills are on display within the team system/scheme. The more individual skills each player has, the more possibilities there are for the team. The fewer individual skills each player has, the more strain there will be on the team to shore up those weaknesses, and the more opportunities there will be for opponents to exploit the resultant breakdowns.

Are you saying one on one is a poor test of skills? I would agree that it is an incomplete test of skills, but not at all a poor test. The most skilled players are excellent at one on one.

Even in a team game, a player's individual skills are on display within the team system/scheme. The more individual skills each player has, the more possibilities there are for the team. The fewer individual skills each player has, the more strain there will be on the team to shore up those weaknesses, and the more opportunities there will be for opponents to exploit the resultant breakdowns.

I'm saying it's a poor way to assess how effective a basketball player is at actual basketball.

I know you know this, but the point needs to be made, that a 450 foot hole creates much more of a scoring spread for the men than the women. This is why the DGPT, years ago, started pushing for a different layout for the FPO field.

We are lucky and fortunate that we can adjust our competitive arenas to fit the different genders of players, that is a competitive advantage that disc golf has over many other sports. People brought up the WNBA, and I've always contended that the the basket should have been lowered from the get go for women's basketball, starting in the amateur game, and we would have seen a much more exciting (and better) game. I get why the infrastructure there isn't available to do this but I point stands. Failure to adjust the competitive arena in WNBA has been their biggest downfall and we should learn, not copy, their mistakes.

I'm not concerned about the ratings and neither should you be. They're fine with comparing current year men against men and women against women. You can't compare them to each other because the courses are different just like you can't compare them against players from 20 years ago because they obviously have been inflated. It is what it is and understanding the limitations of the data is par for the course, pun intended, when it comes to statistics.

Last edited:
I know you know this, but the point needs to be made, that a 450 foot hole creates much more of a scoring spread for the men than the women. This is why the DGPT, years ago, started pushing for a different layout for the FPO field.

We are lucky and fortunate that we can adjust our competitive arenas to fit the different genders of players, that is a competitive advantage that disc golf has over many other sports. People brought up the WNBA, and I've always contended that the the basket should have been lowered from the get go for women's basketball, starting in the amateur game, and we would have seen a much more exciting (and better) game. I get why the infrastructure there isn't available to do this but I point stands. Failure to adjust the competitive arena in WNBA has been their biggest downfall and we should learn, not copy, their mistakes.

I'm not concerned about the ratings and neither should you be. They're fine with comparing current year men against men and women against women. You can't compare them to each other because the courses are different just like you can't compare them against players from 20 years ago because they obviously have been inflated. It is what it is and understanding the limitations of the data is par for the course, pun intended, when it comes to statistics.

Bless your heart, I think I'll retain my right to have my own opinion.

Latest posts