• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(Free) Spin Dye Setup and Tutorial

Jenga54

Double Eagle Member
I really want to build a box fan spinner with dimmer switch, but until I acquire the hopefully $15 or less worth of used parts, I wanted to do some spin dyes TONIGHT.

So, I came up with this set up, which I think works very well for anything but those sweet painted on circle dyes. Post up any results using this method, point out my theory flaws, and anything that could make this better!

Yes, I know my 4 year old powdered RIT and shaving cream is not ideal, but the idea was CHEAP/FREE. When my dyes run out, I'll bite the bullet and buy some disperse dyes. But for now, this is free - give it a try!

Decent results there, do you think the age of the RIT was the reason why the Z plastic didn't take it as well? Or is it the Z plastic in general?

Maybe both... Left it sit over night, but it dried in about 45 minutes, so probably that. A good thick liquid with detergent would be nice if it stayed liquid longer to get long contact time

Put your dyes in a sealed container with a damp paper towel. It will keep the dye moist. Then you can leave the dye on as long as you want. Warning: too much liquid will make the dye run.

Oh nice! I'm thinking Rubbermaid with lid as long as the wife doesn't find out!

Nice video, thanks. Always nice to have different techniques up your sleeve. I will try this one out sometime for sure.

I bought a cheap tupperware type container at walmart for just a couple bucks I put my dyes in. I also use a large frying pan with a lid.

I do a similar method, but I found that the lid from an orange HomeDepot 5gal bucket works amazing because (the one I have) is pretty deep on top and slightly concave with a raised ring and it's bowl shape makes it spin like crazy on smooth concrete. It also works as a great bowl for marble dying. Another plus is the plastic doesn't take idye, so it goes right back on the bucket without looking all barfy!

Thats pretty sweet. I know sometimes Z discs need to stay more than 1 night with dye that way to take.

Latest posts