• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Try it out, it's amazing fh....

I feel like the Official DGCR.com Groove Cheerleader. I need to get some digital pom poms and a cheerleader skirt to show of my cute legs.:gross:

There are much better FH discs out there.

I didn't like the Groove. It was meathook overstable for me, but it didn't have a nice fade. When it ran out of speed, it basically flips to vertical and drops from the sky.

On top of that, you can't anhyzer it. If you flip it over it will never come back.

I have two Champion Grooves .One in 174g(red) and another in 172g(yellow).They are great and very stable but they don´t go very far though .I would throw them but then only for control distance.I could beat them up so they would drop down two stabilitys so they would turn over more but they still are good drivers.

The Groove was the first driver I had. I walked into a store without knowing anything about disc golf, bought a putter, a midrange (Roc), and a Groove. Just picked what seemed like a good disc. I couldn't get the Groove to do anything until I ran into some people from Texas on the course and they showed me how to throw it forehand. Since then, it is the disc I can throw the farthest, most accurately. It sure isn't too over- or under- stable for me at all: actually it's pretty well balanced.

Love my Groove. I throw it (and every other driver in my bag) forehand, and it's a gem.

Could it be just misunderstood? Maybe Innova should have made it a FH specialty disc, instead of trying to pass it us a slightly less stable Boss. Although, I would be curious to know what kind of luck you guys that forehand it would have with a Boss.

Im excited to try it though. Hopefully its here tomorrow.

Could it be just misunderstood? Maybe Innova should have made it a FH specialty disc, instead of trying to pass it us a slightly less stable Boss. Although, I would be curious to know what kind of luck you guys that forehand it would have with a Boss.

Good luck with it! Hopefully you can help me champion its virtues! I'm curious to see how you like it for OH shots. Keep us posted.

I wouldn't say it's a FH specialty disc. Before i had the groove, I would only throw the boss (which I lost unfortunatly). For me, the groove started out a bit less stable than the boss started out. After maybe a week of it getting beat in, it already was similar to my boss just before I lost it, that is a champ boss that had been used for 7 months. Now, the groove flips over so fast I have to throw it at a right angle to the ground, and it still flips all the way over. It works super well for me backhand though. Nice subtle s curve.

I wouldn't say it's a FH specialty disc. Before i had the groove, I would only throw the boss (which I lost unfortunatly). For me, the groove started out a bit less stable than the boss started out. After maybe a week of it getting beat in, it already was similar to my boss just before I lost it, that is a champ boss that had been used for 7 months. Now, the groove flips over so fast I have to throw it at a right angle to the ground, and it still flips all the way over. It works super well for me backhand though. Nice subtle s curve.

I get that nice subtle s curve, only fh. Bh is a nightmare. Then again, anything bh for me isn't good.

Overhand shot

Still wondering if anyone has thrown it overhand and how it worked out.

I like it for overhands. It's good for situations where you can't afford to throw your disc as high as a Whippet needs to be thrown (or if you don't have a Whippet!). It has some great distance relative to the effort you put into it.
I hate it for backhand and am just learning forehand. I only play with it when I know I'm going to be using a couple forehands. There is a course here in Omaha (Cunningham Lake) that has a lot of small trees to throw over, so it's useful on that kind of course.

I get that nice subtle s curve, only fh. Bh is a nightmare. Then again, anything bh for me isn't good.

Yeah mine started out like that. I guess I hit a LOT of trees with it and on top of that played 10 rounds a week for two weeks.

I also tried it for overhand, but I hated how quick it rolled. then again, I throw hammers sort of like I do in ultimate so that could be my problem.

my boss is better in a headwind, and if I need a nice meathook on my forehand.
my groove is better with little to no headwind, or a touch of a tailwind.

I got a groove 166 a couple weeks ago. At first I noticed its crazy speed and pretty heavy overstability. But since throwing for awhile, I am finally realizing its capabilities. I can flick it or backhand it with some crazy distance. As far as speed goes its way faster than I initially thought. As far as overstability goes; I dont have the same intitial problems because I can keep it flat for some long distances and I dont have to put some huge anhyzer on it to make it go far. It does skip like crazy, but you can play the disc for it. Overall I think it takes a bit to figure out, but its capable of some pretty great things. Perfect for just straight up open distance shots for me.

Yeah, I dont know if I will get to try it this weekend, even if it comes today. Winter storm comming in and the course we would likely go to, if any if the roads are bad, doesnt really have many spots with room to work. Could always give it a shot and hope the woods dont swallow it if I over shoot the couple longer holes, which are still only 285' long but are side by side, so I could go caddy corner.

I hate the groove. Do not like the grip or the way it flies. I'll stick with my Latitude 64 Halo.

Got my Groove today. I can see where the rim could ware on your finger if you were primarily a FH thrower, seems a bit sharp, but that lip is also a good target if I want to purposely break it in. Driveway slide would be perfect.

Forehanded it a couple times from 50' to see if I could keep it flat into the net from that distance and it seemed to, which is kind of funny as my Banshee was wanting to turn right at that distance and power.

That doesnt tell me much though cause the real show for a driver is to see what it does when I am going for distance. Cant wait to go try it.

Got my Groove today. I can see where the rim could ware on your finger if you were primarily a FH thrower, seems a bit sharp, but that lip is also a good target if I want to purposely break it in. Driveway slide would be perfect.

Forehanded it a couple times from 50' to see if I could keep it flat into the net from that distance and it seemed to, which is kind of funny as my Banshee was wanting to turn right at that distance and power.

That doesnt tell me much though cause the real show for a driver is to see what it does when I am going for distance. Cant wait to go try it.

Yeah, the bead is tough at first. It does get pretty brutal on the forefinger, but I ended up getting a bloodblister and then a groove-callus, so I'm all good now.

admittedly i'm an idiot, but i use my groove for headwind drives with moderate success.

also toss it on the occasional hyzer flip, but i know i don't have enough arm to use it properly.