• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I have had two Champion Grooves(traded one away, threw the other in a lake at flyboy), and loved them both. I had no troubles making them fly consistant, ever, in any wind. They don't thumb so well, but the are great rollers, forehand, and anhyzers. I also loved that everyone else hates them. Of course, I would never throw one again though. I boycott Innova.
"Damn dude, nice drive! what'd you throw?"
"my groove"
-guy looks down and walks off silently

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the differeces between an avenger ss and a grove?

I've only had a couple throws with groves, but they just seemed to be a gimmicky turnover driver.

2) Dsplayname, why the innova boycott?....I'm not judgeing, just curious- I'm not a "you should throw all companies" (if people REALLY wanted to throw the best discs, you'd see more millenium).

3) Apollo creed would whoop that no name from preds.

I loved the Groove, but I hate Innova. Here's why I think they suck(just my opinions) and wont buy their's anymore:
1)All their new discs are too fast for 99% of players, but they aren't pro focused either
2)The new Champion plastic is horrid. What happened to the old stuff that didn't shatter?
3)They are out of ideas like fast food and film ind. Just twists on remakes of BS now
4)I met one of their "sponsored professionasl." He wasn't good at the game and was a dickhead to boot
5)The only good thing about Innova discs is the graphics on DX plastic, but that's over shadowed by DX being one time use only.
6)Too much variance in discs and plastics. Only options are candle wax, pencil eraser, and acrylic. The molds also are inconsistant and this valk might throw like a wraith while that valk flys like a sidewinder.

These are just my thoughts, and I am a Latt 64 man myself. I don't own any, but I do like DGA as well. It's a forum full of armchair quarterbacks and backseat drivers, so let the unmitigated drama begin.
PS The Groove was the last good thing Innova made

The Groove is very similar to the Discraft Nuke. Very fast, lotta glide.
Both take extremely good form to execute well.
Neither is really wind friendly.
These are two of the most nose sensitive, and least forgiving discs ever made.
Even a Ninja is more predictable.
Still fun if you hit it right, both discs can bomb for miles with enough height, especially downwind.

I loved the Groove, but I hate Innova. Here's why I think they suck(just my opinions) and wont buy their's anymore:
1)All their new discs are too fast for 99% of players, but they aren't pro focused either
2)The new Champion plastic is horrid. What happened to the old stuff that didn't shatter?
3)They are out of ideas like fast food and film ind. Just twists on remakes of BS now
4)I met one of their "sponsored professionasl." He wasn't good at the game and was a dickhead to boot
5)The only good thing about Innova discs is the graphics on DX plastic, but that's over shadowed by DX being one time use only.
6)Too much variance in discs and plastics. Only options are candle wax, pencil eraser, and acrylic. The molds also are inconsistant and this valk might throw like a wraith while that valk flys like a sidewinder.

These are just my thoughts, and I am a Latt 64 man myself. I don't own any, but I do like DGA as well. It's a forum full of armchair quarterbacks and backseat drivers, so let the unmitigated drama begin.

The only one of these that makes any sense to me is #6. The other ones shouldn't stop you from throwing any innova. Why should their new 13 speed drivers, or the fact that one of their pros is a jerk stop you from throwing a roc or a teebird? :)

I myself throw 3 different brands. I started less than 3 years ago. I was brought into the game by a world champ who throws nothing but innova. I really like his discs from the late 90's early 2000's. The plasic now is not even close in comparison. I agree with the lack off consistency in their discs, that is why I branched out into other companies. I with they would bring back the older plastics, in the end money talks and I am sure the plastic of old is alot more expensive to produce than today's counterparts.

Last edited:
I wasnt necessarily giving the original poster advice. i was just chiming in on other high speed drivers. i would say scrap the wraith, vulcan, and the groove. im also not on board with noobs shouldn't throw drivers either, id say grab yourself a valk, leopard or teebird and let 'er rip!

as for the apes, they are not as stable as they are cracked up to be, at least the batch of 25 first run's that my club got

Fair enough. also interesting that the first run Apes are flippy...

----

Uhhhhhhh what? This post is dumb and makes me lol

Wow, 9 hours at work and 6 pages of posts happen. I didn't read them all but I get the point that everyone is trying to make. I am going to put my Vulcan, Wraith, and Nuke away. I ordered a teebird and leopard and start using my roc and buzz for drives. I am going to work on my form (which I know needs a lot of work). Wish I had found this site before I started playing. I wasn't trying to say I wasn't a beginner, but I'm not terrible. I have come along way in 2 months and I'm sure I'll go a lot further with this advice. So thank you all for the input.

The stupid analogy I like to use regarding Innova's speed rating is video games.

You start at level 1 because you need to know how to beat level one before you play level 10. Sure, you can type in some code and start at level 10, but will you really play the level well? Probably not, you will find some makeshift way to eventually get through it while struggling. Its best to just play the game from start to finish, and start slow. Same thing with discs. Start with low speeds, be confident with them, and work your way higher.

Throw a putter 150-200 feet in a straight line, then do the same thing (farther) with a mid. Then (farther) with a fairway.

Oh, and if you are going to start a thread, don't cop out and say 'I didn't read the whole thing.' It's a great way to not get your question answered correctly in the future.

What I meant is I didn't read the entire 6 pages of posts. I made it to the end of the 4th page and determined that everyone was either saying the same thing, or having a bitch fest about the groove. So I skimmed the last 2 pages. Your video game analogy fits perfectly.

The stupid analogy I like to use regarding Innova's speed rating is video games.

You start at level 1 because you need to know how to beat level one before you play level 10. Sure, you can type in some code and start at level 10, but will you really play the level well? Probably not, you will find some makeshift way to eventually get through it while struggling. Its best to just play the game from start to finish, and start slow. Same thing with discs. Start with low speeds, be confident with them, and work your way higher.

Throw a putter 150-200 feet in a straight line, then do the same thing (farther) with a mid. Then (farther) with a fairway.

Good analogy, actually.
I quit using my high speed drivers awhile back, but I still keep them around and occasionally pull one out to see how it feels to throw.
It's like having the cheat code and only using it occasionally for fun. :D

like the wedge, yeti pro aviar, mako, dart
I have never seen a champion disc shatter personally. I have seen shattered CE on the course though. also their champion is the same as everyone elses Z, opto and whatnot
I will agree with this to an extent
I'm gonna leave this one alone
im gonna disagree here. look at the orc, starfire, viking, valkyrie, polecat, birdie, etc. the graphics are the worst part of DX
this is personal experience, and cannot be backed up by anything. How do you know they change the mold?
haha, ohhh

my points in red

im gonna disagree here. look at the orc, starfire, viking, valkyrie, polecat, birdie, etc. the graphics are the worst part of DX

Awwwwwww, but he's so cute, lol!

416F-7FE4-0CD1-4B95-8B24-E438-7A22-BE80.jpeg

I agree the orc stamp is pathetic, but I kinda like the cheezy DX graphics, esp. Eagle & TeeBird.