• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

From new to beat in, that is the question!

Woodpecker

Birdie Member
I started thinking back about all the discs I've had and which one disc changed it's flight characteristics the most from being new to being beat in.

For me, it was a 175g Champion Valk custom dye job. When I bought that disc, no matter how hard I threw it, I could not turn it over.

Now, I have to release it almost perpendicular to the ground to keep it from turning over. If I release it flat to the ground--POOF- instant roller!

How about you?

Woodpecker

I agree that there is a big change with valks. I've owned the disc in DX, Star, and champ and same thing happens with each of them. I think there is just too little high speed stability. Helps you get more distance out of it when new...but a few months later ruins the disc. I'm trying an Orc now to see if it is better in this aspect.

The old school 2nd run CE were very overstable then a couple wacks of a tree and byebye. I have never seen CE palstic do that except of valks and the late runs of that CE crap.

175 gram supercolor surge. Does what I want for a few games. The you can't get it to "s" for the life of you.

Woodpecker

Star xcaliber, when I got it, I could barely throw it straight RHFH. Now, if I ever dig it out and throw it, I can angle it almost straight down and it'll still want to roll... Stupid star plastic, breaks in past the point of no return with just a few hits of trees...

I have a DX Wraith that used to give me a nice long hyzer, now it flies almost dead straight, with a little hook at the end that gives me a nice skip.

Champ Wraith, was freaking sweeter than candy when I first bought it, now I have to put some serious hyzer and flip it if I'm throwing forehand. It got taken out of the bag when I turned it over and almost hit a kid in the head about 300' away.

I have a pro D Buzzz that is really beat up, rim is all wavy and such. It went from being a straight flier with a slight end fade to a disc that turns over hard.

I also have an Elite X Predator that when new was clearly overstable and now that its worn in it flies real straight with a later, less pronounced fade.

I agree and I've been wrestling with whether to pick up which ones I can find or just accept that I have to get my next in a different plastic.

DX Viper, the first disc i ever bought. Brand new it is an extremely overstable fairway driver. I used to throw it sidearm (RHFH) and it would hook a bit to the right. Now if i throw it sidearm, it turns over almost right away. Now i just use it for throwing backhand, and it flies straight as an arrow with almost no fade.

A DX Sidewinder is never the most stable disc in the bag, but I think it changes to beat in more dramatically than a DX Valkyrie.

Last edited:
I really noticed it with a skeeter. Pretty much acted like a slightly used roc untill it one too many trees. Now it is my go to anhyzer aproach disc. Star plastic, by the way.

I got a DX Destroyer playing in the Wintertime Open. Played with it for a week, one week, 1 period of seven days, and the only thing I can use it for now is rollers. Great roller disc but I can't count on it for anything else.

I've got a Millenium LF (out of print) that used to be a real straight flier, but is now my right turning machine. Very handy when needed. Its the disc I lose the most, seems to want to be released from service. Maybe its all the trees I've slammed it into over the years...

I have two discs that are beyond beat in. One's an Aero and one's an Eclipse. They're so old they might be first run. My friends and I have been throwing the Aero since the mid 80s or so. It no longer does what an Aero should so it's been retired. The Eclipse still makes a decent roller and I've thrown it air to ground roller for around 450' on a smooth field. It's too flippy for anything else.

How many here go back to the days of DX-only (or equivalent)? When you'd get a disc just right, and be afraid of practicing with it before a tournament for fear of losing it's flight characteristics?

When winning plastic was really important, because you had to replace worn models so fast?

When understable drivers were good for about 2 weeks?

I had a firebird that I beat until it would do nothing but flip over and roll. And I'm a backhand thrower with a 300'-arm, so it was flipping at slow speed. Now THAT's disc abuse!

Latest posts