• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Front Royalty, Greetings from Rockland Park

Got to play Rockland about a month ago with Swatso. Played well and had a great time. Enjoyed the heck out of the course! :thmbup:

You're fortunate to be that close. It's about 90 minutes for me, sadly. :thmbdown:

I enjoyed Rockland when I played there in February. I've been a little hesitant to return because of how thick the summer rough must be.

Jim and Brad,
Rockland is quite possibly my favorite of quite a few courses I've played. The rough is brutal, I've got the scarred legs to prove it. The diversity of challenges the course presents make it, essentially, the only one I play. It requires every shot in the bag and they must all be executed well in order to score well.

I play sherando, signal view and Brad, I played the Purcellville Purple Monster once. I liked it.

Yup, yup. Love the Rockland. I played again today. I shot a personal best from the reds saturday and had a solid round today.

Jimb, you noticed the obvious omission. I don't really enjoy Jim Barnett. There's too many clueless people and although there are some good holes, 3, 8, 15 and 18 need help.

Rockland could use some sapling removal and a bit of brush beating. I'm hesitant to carry the machete with me here although the rec dept in Seneca, SC where I used to live and play would let me drive my truck on the course and run a chainsaw!

storm damage

Holy cow! Yesterday's thunderstorm did quite a bit of damage. Trees down on 8 holes. Several MASSIVE trees down on hole 7 and countless trees on hole 12.

Rockland has lots of potential and it plays very well in the Winter. It needs some serious brush and debris work though. I live twenty minutes away and refuse to play it this time of year. I love a challenge but those fairways are absurd, not to mention the ticks and chiggers.

I still play it almost daily. She is certainly rough around the edges.

I've considered volunteering my time, labor, and tools to clean up out there but I've "been there, done that" as Ian and other upstate SC boys can attest. It is a thankless job as most people who see you working, rather than lend a hand, will more than likely point out other areas of work for YOU to do!

I'm pretty sure I'm the only player who'll voluntarily play the long pads.:\

I played longs a couple of weeks ago and spent as much time looking for discs right off the fairway as throwing, at least it felt that way. :wall:

Played Rockland a couple times. Sweet course with lots of interesting holes and variety. But the rough is brutal.

It has a couple other little quirks. The signs are installed half way between the tee pads, which puts some in strange places. The pars are silly high. Last time I played I shot -7 with an easy Eagle on the 281 ft par 5 hole 14. And I'm usually only around a 900 player. Pars may be more realistic from the blue tees and as has been discussed here MANY times par doesn't really matter.

Overall I agree it's the best course in that area. F.Luke - give me a shout if you every want to try courses in the Fredericksburg area. Curtis Park is about an hour from FR and well worth the drive.

Played Rockland a couple times. Sweet course with lots of interesting holes and variety. But the rough is brutal.

It has a couple other little quirks. The signs are installed half way between the tee pads, which puts some in strange places. The pars are silly high. Last time I played I shot -7 with an easy Eagle on the 281 ft par 5 hole 14. And I'm usually only around a 900 player. Pars may be more realistic from the blue tees and as has been discussed here MANY times par doesn't really matter.

Overall I agree it's the best course in that area. F.Luke - give me a shout if you every want to try courses in the Fredericksburg area. Curtis Park is about an hour from FR and well worth the drive.

KniceZ! I'll remember that. I was surprised how easy the drive was when I played Biscoe's Laurels event and passed through.

I agree that par is inflated out there. Set to rec level I'd guess. If I was to assign pars, the shorts would be 60 and the longs would be 64.

Latest posts