• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustration can’t get over 250ft max 327

It's boring but true advice - try to attack one main problem at a time until it's fixed and automatic.

Need to "feel" where the slash through/release point is relative to your body.

Need to "feel" the shift, stretch, and drop against the frame. Get loose and bouncy and athletic and don't freeze up.

Need to "real" all the reasons stuff is broken, including the things that block the above from happening :)

Ok I got a chance to tinker around with getting my back shoulder higher then my throwing shoulder. That's the only thing I was really trying to mess with so. I think if it's a progression I need to work on rounding again but discs were going just as far with less effort.

Should I slow-mo the video before uploading to YouTube or is YouTube's speed feature good enough?

Attachments

• My Movie 8.mov
    30.6 MB
Last edited:
Ok I got a chance to tinker around with getting my back shoulder higher then my throwing shoulder. That's the only thing I was really trying to mess with so. I think if it's a progression I need to work on rounding again but discs were going just as far with less effort.

Should I slow-mo the video before uploading to YouTube or is YouTube's speed feature good enough?

Yep, good on getting it lower. Keep on it & let's improve. Real time video is probably fine.

I would recommend next doing and posting the actual door frame drill. Better to start getting the posture and shift moving in the right direction sooner than later.

I'd work through these too. You need to get your body and hips in better posture overall and feel the coil.

In Door frame and Inside swing, focus on shifting from the rear foot instep to the front foot instep. Some of your weight is still trapped on your rear leg when you plant. Simon's rear leg is almost or fully deweighted because he is striding all of his weight onto the front foot into the plant to lead the throw.
1694976253324.png

Last edited:

Ok, so doorframe drill is what you want to see next? I have next couple days off so I'm sure I'll get it posted by mid-week. I go throw everyday I just enjoy watching the discs fly but I'm gonna invest in a net so I can get reps in a much shorter amount of time.

I have absolutely zero athletic experience, I was never very good at sports so, weight shift/athletic stance/coiling is all very foreign. I am determined though, I love this sport so much, it's brought tons of change to my life and I'm grateful for that.

Ok, so doorframe drill is what you want to see next? I have next couple days off so I'm sure I'll get it posted by mid-week. I go throw everyday I just enjoy watching the discs fly but I'm gonna invest in a net so I can get reps in a much shorter amount of time.

I have absolutely zero athletic experience, I was never very good at sports so, weight shift/athletic stance/coiling is all very foreign. I am determined though, I love this sport so much, it's brought tons of change to my life and I'm grateful for that.
Yep, doorframe drill.

I am coming from basically the same background. Poor athletic background for throwing (couldn't throw 100' consistently), late starter, awful levers, some physical issues. Got obsessed with mechanics to help save my body and get everything I can out of it.

The stock advice is to always be attacking once piece at a time. 2-3 weeks per new habit. It's good advice. You'll usually just end up backtracking later if you're impatient. Sidewinder/seabas' drills work but you need to do them correctly with enough repetitions.

I used to find form work frustrating. Now it is actually relaxing and just part of the hobby.

Door frame drill was in my top 5 most significant drills in terms of adding body control and consistent power at lower effort. I still use it when I'm tweaking issues or use it as a "booster shot."

Learn to move better, then you can add bigger moves/some stank on it for more power when needed. My standstills probably look low effort but I can add more power by either manipulating the weight shift and/or getting more out of my legs/core/rest of kinetic chain and accelerate pretty quickly with very small shifts now. Fixing the shift and mechanics with doorframe was a huge step in that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately have been busy haven't been able to record. Have done some drills. Doorframe/one leg. I am a it impatient and I'm honestly ok with not pushing for more distance at the moment. I'd just like to get my release point consistent and work on being smooth.

I understand the idea behind the 10o'clock release point and the pivot but not sure if I grasp how to accomplish it because forcing an abrupt stop isn't what we're trying to do. And I don't think the massively bent wrist/super squeeze may cause the force of the pivot at 10o'clock but that can't be great for your wrist and anytime I do that my wrist hurts for days.

Hey thanks, so it's getting colder where I live and I bought a net to throw into for the winter. I know I still need to post video of my door frame drills but I love watching the discs fly….. until I get frustrated with my distance. So all my discs go about the same distance. Throw my envy 250ft and my roc 260-280. I constantly work on my form, the elephant walk and windmill drills I like the best and the throws feel more powerful but still don't go any further. But I'm just rambling at this point. But I'd like to keep practicing over the winter and possibly join a league next spring. (If I'm comfortable and happy with my form and distance/accuracy)

Hey thanks, so it's getting colder where I live and I bought a net to throw into for the winter. I know I still need to post video of my door frame drills but I love watching the discs fly….. until I get frustrated with my distance. So all my discs go about the same distance. Throw my envy 250ft and my roc 260-280. I constantly work on my form, the elephant walk and windmill drills I like the best and the throws feel more powerful but still don't go any further. But I'm just rambling at this point. But I'd like to keep practicing over the winter and possibly join a league next spring. (If I'm comfortable and happy with my form and distance/accuracy)
Throwing farther for most people usually involves some combination of moving better and adding more range of motion/momentum/oomph.

What would an athlete do to improve their distance and where should they expect to get? Depends on where they started and a few other things, probably.

I've now seen young, exceptionally fit/physically advantaged people with mechanically inefficient form throw 500'+ and less advantaged people with very smooth, mechanically efficient form who never throw over 350'. And anywhere in between.

Getting better and adding distance looks different for everyone but requires commitment to change and hard work. Some people (usually on the young and fit end of the spectrum) put on distance by getting out there and ripping on it and then cleaning up their form. Some people start by focusing on form and put it on foot by foot. Most people committed to improving distance use some mix of the two with various tradeoffs.

If you learn here, you're going to get (IMHO very good) efficiency theory/mechanics advice. It requires a lot of patience and practice.

Throwing farther for most people usually involves some combination of moving better and adding more range of motion/momentum/oomph.

What would an athlete do to improve their distance and where should they expect to get? Depends on where they started and a few other things, probably.

I've now seen young, exceptionally fit/physically advantaged people with mechanically inefficient form throw 500'+ and less advantaged people with very smooth, mechanically efficient form who never throw over 350'. And anywhere in between.

Getting better and adding distance looks different for everyone but requires commitment to change and hard work. Some people (usually on the young and fit end of the spectrum) put on distance by getting out there and ripping on it and then cleaning up their form. Some people start by focusing on form and put it on foot by foot. Most people committed to improving distance use some mix of the two with various tradeoffs.

If you learn here, you're going to get (IMHO very good) efficiency theory/mechanics advice. It requires a lot of patience and practice.
Well I have the determination and want to continue to try get better through the winter. I've never been an athletic person. Slim and lanky. I'm in my mid 30s wouldn't consider myself out of shape but definitely don't work out regularly. I've tried to work on my form but I'm definitely a person who needs someone to explain/show/physically move me into positions. But we will see as I keep going at it threw the winter. I'd be happy with 400 accurate. I can hit 300 maybe 1-10 rest being 250-280. I guess I've never really got a straight answer on what moves what first. Hips/shoulder/elbow/hand or elbow/hip/shoulders/hand? Or whatever order they go.

Working on form can be hard on the mind sometimes. Specially if you see improvement in body mechanics, but the distance remains the exact same or even worse at times.

When I first got into the BH, I just yeet'd that MF'er out there. I had no idea where it went, but at least I got it out to 350-370 (distance counts, right?). When I finally got into learning proper mechanics, I lost distance and had to settle with 250/280 for a long ass time and it were hard on my mind. A good friend of mine told me to suck it up because "you're actually hitting your lines". I were so into "distance" and distance only, that I paid no attention to how more accuracy I've gotten.

I actually think you're doing a lot of things right, but.

You need to think differently about your last stride into the throw, along with the throwing motion.

If you were to throw a heavy object (a bag, sledgehammer, hammer, ball, whatever) at the same target as your disc is going - I could almost guarantee that your picture would be a lot more like Simons.

Try out aceitdiscgolf, seabass22 or loopghost hammer drills/windmill drills with a walkup. Really emphasize on letting gravity help you out and when you feel the momentum going into the throw without any yanks on the arm/body, do the exact same with a disc.

Getting in the doorframe position with a semi heavy object can be helpful too!

You already have a gazillion great advices in here, so take mine with a grain of salt.

Good luck bud!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026-102040.png
    Screenshot_20231026-102040.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230915-192525.png
    Screenshot_20230915-192525.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

I am a newbie, and you know your stuff. So I ask you, seems like I heard that if all discs are going similar distances, that indicates an issue throwing discs with the nose up?

Well I have the determination and want to continue to try get better through the winter. I've never been an athletic person. Slim and lanky. I'm in my mid 30s wouldn't consider myself out of shape but definitely don't work out regularly. I've tried to work on my form but I'm definitely a person who needs someone to explain/show/physically move me into positions. But we will see as I keep going at it threw the winter. I'd be happy with 400 accurate. I can hit 300 maybe 1-10 rest being 250-280. I guess I've never really got a straight answer on what moves what first. Hips/shoulder/elbow/hand or elbow/hip/shoulders/hand? Or whatever order they go.
I'll weigh in a bit more here.

I started heavy and very strong in the upper body and weak in the lower body. That plus bad mechanics led to knee injuries. Especially for people with distance goals, I will always advocate fitness/conditioning especially in the legs and core especially if you are not used to throwing or somewhat sedentary. Many people who are deskbound or otherwise sit in chairs a lot have weak "posterior chain" muscles that stabilize you and bear load when moving foot to foot throwing with good form. Just food for thought if you haven't tested yourself there.

It is hard to prognosticate distance ceilings for new players, but sidewinder would sometimes ask for good reason:

"what are your age, ape index, athletic background"? I would add "time to commit to working on your mechanics and throwing?"

You never know unless you try. Consistent 400' accurate starting in your mid 30s would put you in somewhat unusual company and appears to be related to some of the questions above. That's a repeatable ~60mph form with good disc choices and angle/trajectory control (e.g., Kristin Tattar).

The weight shift should more or less lead the throw (and if efficiency is your goal, it is complex enough that sidewinder spent years learning it and no one else seems to teach it very well if at all IMHO). This is a nice breakdown for more detail:

FWIW I went the "slow and steady" route here and continue to make useable gains. I am willing to focus on efficiency more than anything else so learning from Sidewinder is immensely helpful for me.

Last edited:
I've learned to quit focusing on distance. I work with the distance I have and focus on improving my form. When I focus on getting more distance, I find myself throwing harder/faster and totally out of synch with my body. But as I've been focusing on improving my form, I've found I'm getting more distance.

So my suggestion is to forget about distance and work on form; distance will come on its own.

And, 250 feet isn't horrible. Unless we are playing pro courses, most holes are 500ish or less....that means a 250 foot throw can get you a par (or a birdie opportunity) on almost every hole.

I am a newbie, and you know your stuff. So I ask you, seems like I heard that if all discs are going similar distances, that indicates an issue throwing discs with the nose up?
That's often the case, and/or throwing the disc on a nose down high trajectory (what you often want to do for distance lines) but with insufficient speed to get the full flight out of the drivers. Or a poor match between the disc characteristics and release angles otherwise.

Alright. Been doing some work. I already see things that I need to work on. But im
Interested to see what you guys have to say. Especially in comparison to my previous videos. So I had tried to record from directly infront of me but unfortunately the only place that I could I didn't trust my footing and none of them I was happy with.

Note: besides throwing directly into that tree. I've gotten to point I can throw my putters about 240 without a stitch of effort. I definitely still can't get the nose down and my foot work is less than desired.

Attachments

• My Movie 13.mov
    37.2 MB
Everything I have studied says the order is hips/shoulder/elbow/hand. To me, your hips, shoulders, and arm all seem to fire simultaneously, but I am behind you in skill level. I know, done correctly, the timing between firing is fractions of a second, so likely I just can't see it. If it were an issue, Brychanus and others probably would have pointed it out. For what it's worth, I rewatched a Scott Stokely video on snap last night, and he says it is impossible to time those things since they occur in fractions of a second - that the body will fire them in the correct order all by itself?! That all we need to focus on is the plant foot landing before the hips fire (to start the whip), and you seem to have that right. One question - you don't release the disc at all, right? You force it to rip out of your hand, and it hurts your fingertips a little when you throw? I know my distance (with drivers) is similar to yours, and that is the biggest issue I am fighting right now - my subconscious mind wants to release it every time - I have to fight to keep my grip tight and force the disc to rip out. When it rips out, I usually get an extra 20-30', go a bit more right, and my fingertips hurt a little. Anyways, good luck!

Umm. I try to let it 'rip out' but I do have a problem of not gripping as right as I probably should but I think that's something I'll be able to easily fix if I need to when the time comes.

My biggest helpful change was to repeat 'be patient, let the arm drift into the chest naturally then power the arm from pocket forward. It feels like you're just gonna drop the disc directly infront if you but I only lost maybe 50-75ft of distance and it takes absolutely no effort. I'm sure the distance will return in time.

Should I have maybe made a new thread? I know this was a while ago but I very much wouldn't mind more feedback from previous knowledgeable people.

That looks night and day better than before!

Looks like you extend your spine up during the throw and your left elbow drags a bit. Engage your abs more bringing your navel toward your belt buckle and left elbow tight into hip.

So try and stay in that bent over position all the way through the throw? (Even if not wanting to throw hyzer?) I definitely know that back arm is abit wonky.

Do you think my back foot toes being pointed back is as big deal as I think it is?

Also to increase power do I need to just work on throwing outward from the chest? Literally one of the biggest things that change for me was not pulling from the backswing but letting the body bring the swing into my chest and then powering from pocket through extension. So I'm a little weary of trying to power through to the chest. But I'm definitely going to work on the spine position and keeping back arm tucked first and foremost.

Last edited:

Latest posts