• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fun format ideas

DelightSquad

I run a Friday event @Northside Park and am looking for new ideas for fun or even weird formats for turnouts of about 20 people. buy in is usually cheap with optional ctp and ace. I have done(all doubles so far) best, worst, alt, combo of those three, kan jam + disc, one disc challenge, and ript.

Ideas?

If you manage to get exactly 19 one week, try elimination. Worst score on each hole is knocked out. Last one standing wins. You'd have to figure out how to break ties, but would be a lot of fun. I've always wanted to try this format.

On a fairly short course I've always wanted to play a points system....say, 1 point for a birdie (2), 5 points for an ace. A chance to keep going for everything and make some really crazy long putts and field aces. And always the chance for a big come-from-behind victory if you can get an ace late in the round.

Birdie Buster Pool: Players buy in for an amount (like $1) before a random draw of four holes. If the group birdies all four of those holes, then they win the pot. If no one gets them, it rolls over.

The way I do it, since not all players buy-in is if one half of the pair doesn't buy in, then the half that did buy in gets half the pot and the other half continues to roll over.

If you have an exact multiple of people (multiple of 4 works best, but 3 or 5 will work) try having a skins night. $5 buy in. 25 cents a hole x 18 holes = 4.50. Have a CTP at the end to decide who gets everyone's last 50 cents.

If you have an exact multiple of people (multiple of 4 works best, but 3 or 5 will work) try having a skins night. $5 buy in. 25 cents a hole x 18 holes = 4.50. Have a CTP at the end to decide who gets everyone's last 50 cents.

This is what I've done for skins (using $10 at .50 per hole), but instead of the CTP for the extra change we determine 2 of the holes to be worth double, either the 2 hardest holes or 9 and 18.

On a fairly short course I've always wanted to play a points system....say, 1 point for a birdie (2), 5 points for an ace. A chance to keep going for everything and make some really crazy long putts and field aces. And always the chance for a big come-from-behind victory if you can get an ace late in the round.
An idea for a league night or tournament along those lines I've always had was a "deuce or die" tournament. Each hole would be essentially pass/fail. You had to make it in two shots. If you didn't, you simply picked up your disc and went on to the next tee. To make things more difficult on open holes you could string/paint lines for bunkers and OB. Land in a bunker, you have to putt with your thumb on the bottom. Land in a OB, that's an automatic fail. For long holes that people can't reach, you could declare a '3' a birdie or plant flags for a shorter tee.

Scoring system
"Passing" a hole (ace, eagle or birdie) = 3 pts.
"Stringing" passed holes together (hitting consecutive birdies) = 1 pt.
Bonuses
Metal hit on tee shot (cage or above only) = 1 pt.
Ace = 5 pts.
"Failing" a hole = 0 pts.

Why don't you split up the pot per hole similar to skins, but have it against the entire field. You could do something like $0.50 per hole and then $1 for the best round for a total of $10 per person. If ya get 20 people, that would make each hole worth $10 and the winner would take home $20. Any person that gets the best score on a hole would get a cut of the $10.

For example, four people birdie hole 1, they would each get back $2.50 for that hole.

It would be a lot of work for the person running the event, but at least everyone should walk away with some of their money back.

My favorite is "Hat Trick Doubles"

It's played like double and pays/scores like singles, let me explain. In each group every player plays doubles with every other player switching every six holes if you have an 18 hole course, if you have 27, every 9 holes you switch, etc. You and your partner get a 2, you write down "2" on each of your personal, individual score cards. Person at the end with the best individual score wins and you can payout how you want.

Since the US Amateur (ball-golf) tourney is going on right now, it reminds me of an idea I'd like to see: a one-day stroke / match - play event. In a two-round event, everyone plays one round of singles to set the seeds. Then, pair them up for matchplay in round two (1vs2, 3vs4, 5vs6, etc). You could even group them in foursomes and play the front nine as the semis (1vs4 and 2vs3) and the back nine as finals. The top X overall get paid as normal, but you could also give a small payout to the winner of each pair or foursome. I like it because matchplay adds a different dimension to the game.

If you only play one round, you could either play the front nine as stroke play and the back as match, or alternatively, if you have handicaps or rankings from previous events, just pair or group people up based on those.

I believe I read about this format here on DGCR. Didn't catch the format's name, but I'll call it Four Shot. I've only played it once casually, but it was fun. Each player takes two drives off the tee. Then you take two putts from the lie you like best. One point for each putt made. Highest score wins.

Maybe do a flighted tournament. Play singles the first 18 and then flight groups by score. In the second round you're simply playing only for the entry fees of those in you flight. A lot of fund raising golf tournaments are done that way.

If you manage to get exactly 19 one week, try elimination. Worst score on each hole is knocked out. Last one standing wins. You'd have to figure out how to break ties, but would be a lot of fun. I've always wanted to try this format.

Seconded. We handle ties the same was as in skins, in that if no one is eliminated on a tied hole, the elimination carries to the next hole. So if no one is eliminated on hole one (as typically happens), then the two worst scores on hole 2 are knocked out, etc. You can also do it with more or fewer players, just designate holes beforehand where no one gets eliminated or where two get eliminated.

I recommend also having some sort of losers bracket starting after six or seven holes. That way the first few eliminated don't just go home after playing a handful of holes.

Try a regular doubles thing but have the partners swap bags. If they throw a lot of the same stuff, good for them. If they don't, then they get to try a bunch of new stuff.

thanks for all the great ideas! I especially like "hat trick" and the bag swapping.
While talking to club members today at our wed dbls we started discussing a mob golf idea.
1 upper and 1 lower super group. you buy in what you want @ 1$ per chip/token/etc.. every hole becomes an instant ctp for betters like dirty dollars. you can bet or not bet on any hole and ctp takes the pot for the hole.

Any other mob golf ideas?

here's good video walkthrough of northside, featuring our Friday AM pads for said event.

Last edited:

I know this is an old thread . . . but I am establishing a Stablefore scoring system for my home course. I am running a 10 week league and looking for 10 different formats. Stableford will be one of those formats. 6 points for an ace, 3 for a duece, 1 for a par, -1 for a bogey and -2 for a double bogey or worse.

This course is all 145-275' holes in the woods so every hole is duecable . .. but if you get into trouble you can get a bogey too.

Latest posts