• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest story explaining DG to noobs

Does anybody else get the Disco response?

"What did you do yesterday?"

"Disc Golf, mostly"

{blank stare of disbelief} "Uhh, you disco?" (as they bring their index finger from lower left to upper right repeatedly)

Haha yeah I have a couple times. I figured I was just saying it too fast but now you have made me realize people are bad at understand new concepts...

Just yesterday:

To begin, I'm a hunter, and pretty hard-core right-winger. I own guns, and was even a defensive handgun instructor out here. So, I'm standing there at lunch time, getting ready to go throw a few rounds. I wear my Front Sight hat when I play (that's where I instructed), and the owners husband asked what we were going to do. After explaining, he looked at me and said, "So what, are you some kind of a hippie?!" ....

ummmm

I love trying to explain what the basket looks like, me: "oh it's about 5 feet tall, has a basket midway up connected to a pole, and chains hanging from a circular top that forces the disc into the basket."
them: blank stare "oh"

I got tired of explaining it so I just took a picture with my phone and show them that.

i get the hippie thing all the time. Even when i lived in HI everyone thought i lived on the north shore,,maybe its my long hair

I took a couple of discs home with me when visiting my family. I threw a few times and my uncle made two of my cousins throw (both collegiate baseball pitchers) and there's went no where near as far. My uncle totally loved that and told me to quit my job, move home, and play professionally (if only it was that easy).

I spoke to my aunt a few weeks after my visit and she said 'Well, we bought some frisbees, they're all on the roof!'

I got tired of explaining it so I just took a picture with my phone and show them that.

Thats a pretty good idea, that will save me 5 minutes and their blank stare.:thmbup:

So did you take her home or what?

:popcorn:

Are you kidding? I was so put-off that she didn't know what disc golf was that I refused to make eye contact with her and dumped my meal after I finished on the floor.

Are you kidding? I was so put-off that she didn't know what disc golf was that I refused to make eye contact with her and dumped my meal after I finished on the floor.

Waitress: Excuse me sir, but you didn't leave a tip.

BrotherDave: You want a tip?

Waitress: Ummm, yes, please.

BrotherDave: OK. Here's your tip: Stop being an idiot.

All of these puzzled noobs need to check out a Desmond Morris book at their local University library.

We still have the biology of hunter/gatherers. Human beings, especially males, are generally born to hunt in the woods, outdoors, etc. This involves throwing things at targets, and literally "hunting" for things (lost discs, anyone?).

Sport is simply a way to fulfill these primal urges in our current form of human culture. I think that's part of why you feel so darn good after you play a round or two. Your urges get fulfilled. Your body is rewarding you for doing the necessary activity to hunt down some meat for your tribe.

Try explaining the sport THAT way.....

I always tell people that it may LOOK a little goofy, but it is extremely enjoyable to experience.

All of these puzzled noobs need to check out a Desmond Morris book at their local University library.

We still have the biology of hunter/gatherers. Human beings, especially males, are generally born to hunt in the woods, outdoors, etc. This involves throwing things at targets, and literally "hunting" for things (lost discs, anyone?).

Sport is simply a way to fulfill these primal urges in our current form of human culture. I think that's part of why you feel so darn good after you play a round or two. Your urges get fulfilled. Your body is rewarding you for doing the necessary activity to hunt down some meat for your tribe.

I always tell people that it may LOOK a little goofy, but it is extremely enjoyable to experience.

A very interesting perspective. Thank you for this.:thmbup:

He tole this story to a very hot, very interested chick in a bar. By the time he got to "Your body is rewarding you…", she was emerging from the ladies room with the bouncer, she unwrapping a breath mint & demurely wiping the corner of her mouth and he breathing rapidly & looking quite smugly satisfied.

I work from home in Indiana. My office is down in Knoxville. They are all very simple, nice, VERY southern people.

Girl from work: Did I hear someone say that you played Disc Golf?

me: Ayup.

Girl from Work: What the hell is disc golf?

me: It's like golf with specialized frisbees instead of clubs and balls.

GFW: So why is it called disc golf?

me: The specialized frisbees are discs.

GFW: sounds like you guys should rename it. I still don't get it.

*sigh*

He tole this story to a very hot, very interested chick in a bar. By the time he got to "Your body is rewarding you…", she was emerging from the ladies room with the bouncer, she unwrapping a breath mint & demurely wiping the corner of her mouth and he breathing rapidly & looking quite smugly satisfied.

Greatest. Story. Ever. lmao

I concur. :thmbup:

I work from home in Indiana. My office is down in Knoxville. They are all very simple, nice, VERY southern people.

Girl from work: Did I hear someone say that you played Disc Golf?

me: Ayup.

Girl from Work: What the hell is disc golf?

me: It's like golf with specialized frisbees instead of clubs and balls.

GFW: So why is it called disc golf?

me: The specialized frisbees are discs.

GFW: sounds like you guys should rename it. I still don't get it.

*sigh*

This made me laugh.

Latest posts