• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

The second round of golf I ever played was at Pease Park in Austin. It beat me up. I still have scars. lol.

Anyway, the Society for Creative Anachranism ? was holding an.... event? where they were all dressed up like King Arthur, or thereabouts, and they were beating each other fairly seriously with wooden swords.

One guy, dresses up like a... frankly, not sure what he was dressed up as... but he evidently was a magician in the role playing exercise because he would bean people with powder filled soft bags that would freeze the participant for about 30 seconds (or whatever)

I saw the same thing on Sunday and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. These guys , some wearing all black in 90 degree heat were out there fighting with these sticks with pads on the end. Looked like something right out of the Texas Renaissance Festival. The Festival does not start till October, and I guess they need to stay in practice.

I have heard that groups like this exist but I have never seen it before.

Whew. Cool. I wasn't seeing things!

:^/

I think you are correct about the Renaissance Festival. I guess you have to practice acting like you shred people with swords to be good at it.

They kinda wail on each other from what I recall.

not funny or weird.................but freakin CRAZY!!!

Back in Michigan i frequented Raintree Park in Troy with the same friend(i long-standing rivalry thing)and as we are playing we see about 6-8 younger guys playing the course also. We get around to hole 8 and this group of kids are done playing but hanging out by the restroom building. Upon a closer look, all but one guy is all lined up facing the wall with the last guy standing about 20 feet behind them. He hauls off and throws a golf disc at their backs!!!!!! We stand there in total shock as he fires 3 more discs at them!!!!! Then HE takes his place on "the wall" with another guy "up to bat"............ Imagine getting hit blind side by a driver thrown full speed!!!!

To this day i still can't imagine WTF they were trying to accomplish. :confused:

Wow. I'd have to find a less insane card of people to throw discs with.

Nutcakes.

Frankly, I could really hurt someone by throwing a disc at them. I would never even consider it.

I've seen what they can do, as many of us likely have.

Back in Michigan i frequented Raintree Park in Troy with the same friend(i long-standing rivalry thing)and as we are playing we see about 6-8 younger guys playing the course also. We get around to hole 8 and this group of kids are done playing but hanging out by the restroom building. Upon a closer look, all but one guy is all lined up facing the wall with the last guy standing about 20 feet behind them. He hauls off and throws a golf disc at their backs!!!!!! We stand there in total shock as he fires 3 more discs at them!!!!! Then HE takes his place on "the wall" with another guy "up to bat"............ Imagine getting hit blind side by a driver thrown full speed!!!!

To this day i still can't imagine WTF they were trying to accomplish. :confused:

With kids now days, I guess just playing the game is not enough.

If they had any balls, they would have been facing him as he threw the discs.;)

Sounds like a game we used to play after soccer practice when I was in highschool. We called it "Butts Up." Everyone shot the ball from midfield (empty net) and whoever missed had to stand in the goal grabbing thier ankles while those that made it from midfield took a shot simutaneously from the 18 yard line trying to nail the guys on the goal line.

But what these guys were doing sounds stupid...I would never want to get nailed in the back with a disc from close range.

See: Jackass

I was literally attacked today in Asheboro, NC on hole 4. Twice. By a hawk. I was walking to my nice drive that left me about a 20' putt for birdie when I hear a whoosh past my head, making me duck, and I see a red tail hawk fly past my head. It flies up into a tree and turns around and then locks eyes with me. At this point I'm thinking, "You motherf..." and before I can finish the thought the hawk takes wing straight at my face. I turtled my head into my shoulders and ran off to the side. You have no idea how hard it is to sink a putt while looking over your shoulder for hawk attacks.

Is hole 4 the one downhill and 50ft or so to the right, playing towards the parking lot? If so, not even a hawk attack could take away my love for that hole. 5, on the other hand, is my arch nemesis.

I have mentioned a couple of times that SOME new disc golfers are somewhat disrespectful of what is being handed to them on a platter. I have no idea of the average age of the new player.

In many instances perhaps they just don't know better... but I don't entirely get that because there are so many other NEW players who are awesome folks and they DO know better... so I am left with the same response as ericj.

I have seen one disc wonders (a whole card) throwing their discs at full steam against our hole one course sign.

Stuff like that... just blatant disregard.

Makes me sigh, frankly.

Last edited:

I hope at least they were using putters instead of beveled-edge drivers :eek:

amazingly stupid. I've been hit with a driver that was being putted and it stung pretty good I can only imagine the internal bleeding that would follow getting pegged full force.

Back last summer I was getting ready to tee off and I heard what I thought was a go cart riding on the road a few feet away. Minutes later two guys in a dune buggy comes flying down the fairway did a doughnut and took off. I sat there for a few minutes thinking did that really just happen?

About 5 months ago, there was a huge group of teenagers playing my home course. I had to do a double take when I realized that one of them was riding a Cushman Scooter. He would make his throw and then ride the motorbike down the fairway and throw again. I thought it was crazy, and he is lucky the parks dept didn't see him doing that.

Saw 2 birds chasing a squirrel all over hole #5 at Baville the other day. He must have gotten too close to their nest. I guess you had to be there.

amazingly stupid. I've been hit with a driver that was being putted and it stung pretty good I can only imagine the internal bleeding that would follow getting pegged full force.

I've seen a few bad hits.

One guy got knocked out, literally. Hit him in the side of the head.

Once, while at AM Worlds in Miami, one guy on our card hit someone directly in the keester but they were far enough away it really did not hurt anyone thankfully.

A local woman player ended up with stitches in her face once from being struck.

I was playing a round with Klart once, years ago and he got hit twice in one round. Livid, in a word.

I've ducked out of the way of VERY close calls four different times, that I can recall.
Once, dive would be a better choice of words than duck.

I was hit on ball golf course.

Playing on Fathers Day in 84. I was driving a cart with my girl friends dad in the passenger seat. Both our tee shots on #2 went down the right side and we were cruising slow with our heads down looking for our balls in the short rough.
This particular hole runs parelllel, but in the oppposite direction of #1.
A player had sliced his tee shot off #1 and it crossed our fairway. It was a really bad slice and was on the far left side of our fairway and 140 yards from our cart.

I hear "Fore!" and I raise my eyes in that direction. How long does it take to raise your eyes? Not very long. My eyes come up and the ball is Right There...about 4 inches from my nose. Then it hit the bridge of my nose and broke it. Blood pouring out.
We had a cooler and ice in the cart and got the bleeding stopped in a few minutes.

This guy had played a low 3 or 4 iron that was effectively a torpedo across the bow of our cart.

The guy who hit me nearly had a heart attack, he thought he killed me.

I was lucky I didn't get hit in the mouth or eye and my nose had been broken before in a basketball game, so I think this guys shot straightened it.

Ouch. I finished the round but I was hearing funny sounds all afternoon. Concussion probably.

The craziest sight I've seen at a disc course had to be the saturday before easter. The powers that be decided to hold an easter egg hunt at the park. (Anna Page Park) An estimated 4000 kids running amok on the courses. We didn't even get out of the car and motored to next nearest course.

Latest posts