• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Mine would have to be the guy that was using a golf cart at the local park (Ellison). He was driving the thing around, music blaring.. it was just kind of odd.

Another one that comes to mind, a guy at Codorus who claimed to have been looking for the first tee for over an hour. There were a lot of disc golfers out that day and my friend and I managed to find it without a problem. I guess he could have tried asking someone.. :)

I was out one day and there was a couple, on a blanket, behind some trees at Beaver Island...I think I interrupted something. I couldn't help it they were right next to the 5th tee box. If you've played that course you know the spot I'm talking about isn't that secluded.

Also at Beaver Island, different day, on the 18th hole; there was a guy that got his disc stuck about 30 up in a tree in a bird's nest. We were playing and couldn't figure out why this other party was still on the hole, so when we walked over, and asked, everyone just kinda pointed up; it was pretty funny.

I know the fifth hole and that isn't really secluded at all.. adventurous couple! :)

Speaking of Beaver Island, I almost aced #4 last time I played there. That's probably as close as I'll ever get to pulling that off on that hole but it was pretty exciting for a few seconds.

Crazy shot

At a local private course, Swinging D.B.'s, I was driving across the the creek low. See attachment

Attachments

• nice shot.jpg
    nice shot.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,075
Last year I saw some drug deals. Six months ago I saw a guy get his disc stuck on top of a school bus. A week later I saw another guy skip his disc off the hood of a moving police car. The last time I played I saw some people grilling on a tee box! Fortunately I only played 4 holes and didn't worry about it.

We set up a temp course for the Gateway Open at Sioux Passage Park years ago. We had one hole that we debated how close to the road the basket should be, but finally we decided to put it really close to the road figuring everybody in a PDGA tournament would figure out that going long would be very bad. When you approached the pin, you were up on a hillside shooting down toward the basket with the road about 15 ft past the hole continuing on a downhill slope. In a warm-up round a guy went for it from 50 or 60 ft on that hole. He missed the basket high and the disc floated out over the road where it landed in the back of a moving pick-up. The pick-up slowed down, then drove off with the guys putter.
The guy was really mad, so I tried not to fall down laughing. The look on his face when the pick-up drove off was priceless.

fema trailer

We played at Paul B. Johnson today and there were FEMA trailers on part of the course. We played one hole and my brother-in-law landed on the roof. He climbed up and played his shot from there

One Day at Sedgley Woods in Pa., I came to the Fourth hole to find a group barbaqueing in the basket. They had tin foil, charcoal, burgers, Dogs, the whole nine yards. The Guys says to me, " This isn't for Grilling???"

Attachments

• th_barbeque.jpg
    th_barbeque.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,348
Everyone's got a Sedgely Woods story. I've heard stories about kids hiding in the bushes near the baskets and then stealing people's discs when they land 250-300 feet away from the tee pad. Sounds like a game me and my friends would have invented when we were 13. :) With a 250 foot head start, you pretty much can't lose.

I played Sedgely on a bitter cold day in January once. There was a homeless guy across the street from the course. He stood there with his pants at his ankles and his johnson just hanging out, waiting for some frostbite I guess. We think he was looking for 3 hots and a cot with indecent exposure the easiest way to achieve it. That's one way to flag down a cop.

Weirdest thing I think I've ever seen was at Seneca. This huge majestic tree (across the creek from Hole 5) came crashing down while we were playing. It was a gorgeous day with little wind. We have no idea what could have caused this tree to fall. The noise it made as it came crashing down was incredible. We all just looked at each other in bewilderment. Did that really just happen?

Last summer I hoisted a nine meter tree branch over my head, barely able to hold it straight up and steady. It is often difficult to find anything to dislodge a stranded disc. When a huge, fallen tree branch lay next to the unconscionably tall tree that ensnared my midrange, I used the branch. Remember — "no visible disc left behind".

I recall that vividly.. it was an impressive sight :D

Weirdest that I've ever seen had to be a course in Oklahoma City called Woodson Park. This place is in the barrio. First let me say that it is a confusing course. They move around the holes. There are concrete tee pads with numbers painted on them. There are also signs and numbers on the baskets, but none of these MATCH. That wasn't that weird, but I threw a disc into this big open cedar tree that had a homeless guy temporarily LIVING in it. He gave me back my disc. He had clothes and everything INSIDE this tree. He was also drinking on a case of beer.

Wow.. did he kick the Keebler elves out? :) That's definitely qualifies as weird.

Weirdest Round ever

This happened a few weeks ago at Vista Del Camino in Scottsdale, AZ. I was playing the back nine, it was hole 15 or 16, but anyways, theres a concrete jogging path on the left side of the fairway, with joggers and bikers always walking down it. Just left fo the path is a big blue trashcan, thats always in the same spot about 200 ft past tee.

So I tee off LHFH but the champ beast snaps out of my hand a little early and flys off a bit to the left. Meanwhile, a man on a bike is riding away from me in the same direction as the disc. I watch in horror as the beast flies right at the back of his head. I'm too paralyzed to even call out, because if he stops and turns around to look at me he'll get blasted right in the face. The disc fades at the last second behind the bike's back tire, and hits the side of the trash can, then bounces back past the bike, passing in front of the front tire. WTF!!! The guy didnt even run over the disc or slow down. It was like watching my life flash before my eyes.

Then, as if the day wasn't weird enough, I throw the Dragon on hole 18 (of course). It shanks hard left over the middle of the lake and dives in at probably a 45 degree angle. No big deal, right- it floats. So I wait. And wait. and wait. And throw the claw out after it. No dragon. It never floats back up anywhere on the lake.

At my home course here in Tennessee (Sharp Springs) there are a number of small pavilions that people grill out on. Only one is close to the DG course and it sits on a hill about 30 yard away from the tee on hole 15. Hole 15 is a 280' downhill throw from a tee that is elevated about 30-40 feet above the pin. It is a pretty nice vista shot. Well, there was a group at the pavilion. A local group of special olympics children. They were armed with kites. Three children, each with a kite, decided to run in front of us and down the hill while we were on the tee. I almost seperated my shoulder as I was in mid-drive but I held onto that disc. They got all the way past the hole when the teacher called them to come back, so they ran back across the hole and when they got about 30 feet away from the teacher they did an about face and ran away from her again. They must have thought this was a fun game because my buddy and I sat on the tee and watched this for about 30 minutes. They would run away, the teacher would call, they would come back to about 30 feet of the teacher and then run away again. The teacher actually got fed up with the kids and told us to throw anyway. We just skipped the hole. In retrospect we should have done that earler instead of waiting for 30 minutes, but it was a nice day.

Into the highway

I was playing Rosland Park last a few weeks ago. The wind caught my tee shot on hole #4 and carried my disc into the highway. Luckily it didn't hit any cars. While I was walking to the tee pad on hole #5, I heard a loud noise, and turned to see a my disc rolling down the highway after a moving van ran it over. The disc about 100' feet along the highway to the fence bordering the course. So, after all of that, I got my disc back.

I was playing Rosland Park last a few weeks ago. The wind caught my tee shot on hole #4 and carried my disc into the highway. Luckily it didn't hit any cars. While I was walking to the tee pad on hole #5, I heard a loud noise, and turned to see a my disc rolling down the highway after a moving van ran it over. The disc about 100' feet along the highway to the fence bordering the course. So, after all of that, I got my disc back.
I did something similar at Moraga Commons Park in CA. The course plays on some large hills and one of the later holes runs parallel to a fairly busy street well below the hill on the right side of the fairway. I threw my drive and the wind just took hold of it and decided to take it straight down towards the road. My heart sank and I didn't even want to watch as it went down as I was anticipating screeching brakes at any moment.

When the screeching didn't come I made my way down there and ended up finding my disc on the other side of the road. I have no clue if it made it over there without actually going into the road or not but I was just happy I didn't cause an accident and that I actually found the disc.

Gran Canyon Fox

So down in Brooksville,FL before the Gran Canyon course was closed I was playing a warm up round before a tourney. Somebody in a group ahead had a disc stolen by a Fox, who picked it up and ran off just to drop it about 500' away.

One sly fox....

Also in Sarasota at Water Tower park during an A-Tier I went to clear my thoughts just off to the right side of the Pad in the Palmetto's and almost stepped on two people, 1 was completely naked and the other was sparsly clothed, they were just sleeping in the nice FL sun...

Latest posts