• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

Playing yesterday at Riverside which is a course that runs a long a walking trail and river. For some reason theres a bench near the 18th basket and this family decided to have a picnic there. It was right in the middle of the fairway but they wouldn't move so we just threw our discs all around them. There were tons of golfers out so I'm suprised they didn't move sooner, they left after we completed the hole. Guess they finally realized they were stupid.

Two of my weirdest moments....

same hole, same course, over a year apart. Lefleur's Bluff in Jackson, MS front 9. I believe it is hole number 5. Plays long downhill towards a pseudo wrought iron fence behind it is a service road for the interstate. Weird moment number 1, it had been raining a ton so the ground was soft and water everywhere. I parked my upshot and had a 10 foot putt for par, just as I am about to release my putt the ground under me collapses and I fall in a hole up to my knees. Released the putt during the fall, still went in. Strange feeling to be falling and putting at the same time. The second moment was almost a year later. Hot day with lots of wind gusts. I had thrown a 400+ roller the day before at a different course and thought I would demonstrate that on this hole for some buddies. I crushed a JLS and it anny'ed just like it was supposed to. Then a wind gust changes the angle on the disc and levels off turnover and clears the fence and lands on the other side of the road. No idea how long that shot was but it flew forever. I think the basket plays 380 or so and this disc had to be at least 80 feet behind it or more. Had to leave the park by car to get the disc back. Pretty crazy.

This one happened to a friend of mine, Stephen (aka Texas Orlando Bloom, ya, hes a hippy from the south). Him and some buddies were playing at Moffitt. They get to the tee, but there's some guy standing by the fairway flying a kite or something. They get his attention, and he tells them to just go ahead and throw. When they throw, one of them shanks one and it makes a beeline right for this dude. They shout, but its too late, and the disc hits him directly in the cell phone holster mounted to his belt. It chopped his MotoRazr in half, screen separated from keypad and everything. Yikes!!! They felt terrible, but the guy was cool about it, sicne he had told them to go ahead.

I always see a bunch of U.F.O.s, but it's only at the course for some reason. I think I'll take a camera next time and send the pictures in to unsolved mysteries.

Last edited:
CptMorgan, are you talking about the Riverside course just north of Houston, Tx? Was wondering how that one was, never got a chance to play it

I came across a hobo sleeping in the middle of the fairway on hole 3 at Brahan Springs Park in Huntsville, AL. We debated just playing around him but decided to skip it and come back later. It started pouring before we finished the other 17 and the skins game was already decided so we called it quits and never went back to #3.

In Seatac I saw behind a bush in the middle of the course, a cross made out of small twigs and a doll in a shallow grave. Mind you seatac is big and secluded, gloomy and grey. Some strange kids in Seattle.

monster.jpg
This is probaly the wierdest basket I have seen. Don't throw past the red monster or it will cost you a stroke.

The lights at Liberty Park have a familiar shape

but they are waaaay too high (see photo)

plus, at Liberty, when they say "out of bounds" the obviously mean it... (photo)

enjoy - n

Attachments

• Liberty disc basket lights.JPG
    Liberty disc basket lights.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 798
  • Liberty rare OOB sign.JPG
    Liberty rare OOB sign.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 820
That red monster is really scary. I'd be afraid to reach my hand in there to get my disc out. Who made that basket?

Ive always had issues with the 10th hole of Riverside North in Grand Rapids Michigan, (my home Course). On one side of the hole you have the Grand River on one side and a high traffic path on the other side. Ive had two major incidents with this hole. My first time playing this hole I make a horrible Drive which heads right towards the path on a night that the park is incredibly crowded. My FireBird nearly scalps two old guys, and will land in one of those baby carrier things that are pulled by bikes. I end up having to chase this guy down for nearly a quarter of a mile to get my disc back. He decides to argue that its his childs until I point out that my name is on the back. A few times later I end up making another bad throw, (which seems to be a theme with this hole.) I made a half decent drive and Im throwing my midrange which ends up 20 feet past the hole, and five feet from creek that leads into the river. I make a nice putt that goes in but Im left pretty unbalanced and tumble in the mud, straight back into the creek. I reall hate this hole

Last edited:
One of my favorite lines during a round can be used when someone is going into the bushes to go pee. I always say this to the other people in my group: "Oh, (insert name here) must be looking for his mini again."

About 2 weeks ago I was playing disc golf at my home course and I looked ahead and I saw this guy riding his bike down a little path. The path is slightly down hill and turns hard at the bottom so when I saw him riding with no hands, I was suprised. I then noticed he had a leash in his hand and a big dog on the other end of it running alongside. As soon as I saw this, I thought to myself "this guy's crazy! he's gonna eat crap!". Sure enough, he reaches the bottom of the hill and flips over the handlebars! He got up and rode off within a minute or two and as soon as he rode away I started laughing uncontrollably. That is by far the funniest and dumbest thing I've seen while disc golfing.

Ball washer?!?

I know that the easiest way to explain Disc Golf to a new player is to compare it to Ball Golf but sometimes it may be taken too far. Hole 9 at Georgia Southwestern DGC has a Ball Golf ball washer beside the tee pad. The bad thing is I actually spent the mental energy to figure out its purpose. I know my disc would not fit into that tiny ball groove. I now have a personal example of the abbreviation "WTF".

Is being ornery, being wrong?

We were on the "The Monster", #17 at Arcadia Park No. 2 in Fort Worth TX. This guy has his disc go in deep and it may have even made it to the 8 foot deep creek. We start looking through the bushes and I see this snakeskin that I had seen with a different group the day before. ;) So as this guy is looking for his disc, I pulled out the skin and hold it up. It's as tall as I am (6'). :eek:

I said, "If you find the owner of this rattler skin let me know?"

That guy's eyes got great big and flew out of the foliage as if he grew wings. And he said, "Screw that disc!"

I said. "Yeah, that snake might be coming back for his jacket."

I of course told him after all that how long the skin had been there, but he still would not go back in there. I never did find his disc for him…I mean I had to go look for him after pulling that gag. :p

Hey Donovan, I have played a lot of courses in the Fort Worth area but have not played Acadia. Is it a fairly new course? Sounds like I would like to play it the next time I am out there.

Hey Donovan, I have played a lot of courses in the Fort Worth area but have not played Acadia. Is it a fairly new course? Sounds like I would like to play it the next time I am out there.

I am told it is a 2008 course, so I guess that is new. If you PM me, I will give you my phone number and go play with you if you want. I live like 3 blocks away from the first hole. I love that you can really open up your drive on this course. The other courses in the area don't seem to let you do that on too many holes.

Thanks for the note brother! :cool:

I had a few incedents involving bums on the course all on hole 7 @ the Redwood Curtain in Arcata. The first was a bum siting and meditating in the middle of the fairway, people were just barely missing him and he didn't seem to notice a thing. A month or two later a friend of mine takes his drive and it sails past some branches and stumps and hits another bum in the dome. He picked up the disc and started to yell at my friend but after seeing how many of us there were and getting yelled at about being on the fairway of a DGC, he shut up and left. Then yet another time out there I threw up my midrange just past the basket and it almost landed on sombodys old dirty panties that were laying next to the basket:confused:.

2 snakes doing the deed...

at Indian Hills, my buddy and I were playing along and on hole 13 i think it was I look off to the side of the fairway, in a little gulley kind of thing, and 2 black rat snakes, they had to be 4 feet each, were completely entangled in each other doing the nasty...it was one of the coolest things i've ever witnessed in nature. We just sat there and smoked and watched for about 20 minutes...the course was dead because it was brand new, this was back in 2002.

A few weeks ago I was warming up at Cedar Hills in Raleigh, NC. The second tee is about 30' away from the basket for hole 1. My partner was teeing off on two when a disc flew right by my head, missing me by only a foot. Well, it may had missed me but the my partner turned around just in time for the disc to hit him directly in the family jewels. He dropped like a rock. I didnt know whether to laugh or take him to the emergency room. He was ok after a couple of minutes and we had a great laugh the rest of the afternoon.

Latest posts