• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

G* stamp removal?

RomServo

Eagle Member
Can anyone tell me how well stamps come off of G* plastic?

I use acetone to remove stamps on lots of my discs and understand now that some plastics dont clean up as well as others. Jawbreaker is apparently a nightmare. :doh: I carry about 4 G*s and am wondering if the stamps come off that blend easily or will it leave a permanent mess?

Thanks!

Nice and easy. I think it came off easier than star/GL plastic. Also I think it might "mar" a little easier being a softer plastic.

G Star also takes dye quick and fast.

Here is a G Star Thunderbird I just did for my bag.

Attachments

• 20170314_122719.jpg
    20170314_122719.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Nice and easy. I think it came off easier than star/GL plastic. Also I think it might "mar" a little easier being a softer plastic.

G Star also takes dye quick and fast.

Here is a G Star Thunderbird I just did for my bag.

Excellent! Thank you for the info. That dye job is dope. :thmbup:

Be aware that G-Star plastic bleeds incredibly horribly. I won't dye on G-Star after I noticed that the dye was blurred so badly that the image was unrecognizable after only about 6 months. After about a year, the dye bled all the way through the disc.

In general, the gummier the plastic, the more it bleeds. Frost-line, soft Star plastic, Gummy Champion, all bleed badly.

Be aware that G-Star plastic bleeds incredibly horribly. I won't dye on G-Star after I noticed that the dye was blurred so badly that the image was unrecognizable after only about 6 months. After about a year, the dye bled all the way through the disc.

In general, the gummier the plastic, the more it bleeds. Frost-line, soft Star plastic, Gummy Champion, all bleed badly.

Right on. Well, Im usually shooting for removal only, Not too interested in dyeing right now. My main concern is leaving a stain upon initial removal. Some plastics relieve the stamp momentarily only to immediately be reabsorbed in the form of a smear/puddle. As long as i can dodge that im happy.

Well I agree on the general rule of softer = more blurring, G* is not so much worse that its unusable. Only very marginally worse than normal star plastic.

That thunderbird looks translucent... Its actually opaque right? Thats crazy.

Yeah, the green is the solid color of the disc. The marble is blue and black. I posted it in the dye a day thread too, and there is a pic of it on leafy ground that gives an illusion that it is transparent.

Right on. Well, Im usually shooting for removal only, Not too interested in dyeing right now. My main concern is leaving a stain upon initial removal. Some plastics relieve the stamp momentarily only to immediately be reabsorbed in the form of a smear/puddle. As long as i can dodge that im happy.

This will happen on G Star if you get sloppy with too much acetone at one time. I used q-tips on this to try to minimize ink smear and runs ( and plastic damage ). This stamp was black but it had silver foil underneath, the black almost liquified instantly and the silver came off about normal for foil.

Sorry for the post count here but I don't know how to multi quote...:eek:.

Before and After!

Like other plastics the silver seemed to wipe off the easiest and of course the darker the ink, the more stubborn. The ink didnt reabsorb much at all and came off with a few passes. I'll agree that after a excessive wipes the G* does seem to "mar" but not enough to cause any harm or be concerned about. As good practice I would shoot for about three passes for a good appearance. :thmbup:

Thanks for the input guys! Now if someone has the same question in the future maybe they'll find this thread.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20170319_133655.jpg
    20170319_133655.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170319_134453.jpg
    20170319_134453.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I had a GLine FD dyed. Stamp removal was typical, but after a few weeks the edges of the dye job softened. Not as good as Champ plastic at holding the dye, but still looks good though.