• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gap between putting and throwing

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have a weird gap in my throws, from about 40' to 80' or so distance, where I really don't know what to do. My body kind of rocks back and forth into various forms and contortions, looking at the basket, feeling uncomfortable with everything it knows, not knowing exactly WTF will work, and usually nothing does work. Below 40' I use my regular putting motions. Over 80' I can begin to use a scaled back version of my mid-range style throw. But neither work in the 40' to 80' range. The result is awful. I feel like at this distance I should be going at the basket, and not laying up (though not running hard so as to avoid missing far past it). The percentages might be low, even for the best of putters, but the occasional sunk shot (even if only 10%) could still make a difference of a stroke or several over a round or two.

So what do y'all do? How do you fill this gap between putting and legit throwing? What should I try?

The best thing I've found to help get comfortable in that range is to get a friend and play catch with a putter at those distances. Put the nose up and try to float it to them nice and easy so it is going to drop right to them, work different lines etc.
I have a difficult time at that range too, way out of my putting range but too short for a real throw. Doing this really helps and I can tell when I haven't done it in a while.

For me it was a mental thing. What helped was not trying to throw right at the basket. It was inconsistent for me. So, I switched to throwing wider and letting the hyzer do the work! I have gotten some long deuces that way, and really don't even think about the shot besides deciding angle of release. My percentage is definitely higher than 10%. I hit basket a lot doing this.

Playing catch is good advice. Practice throwing softly, nose slightly up, with lots of spin. On open holes I usually just throw a hyzer to 'go for it' on shots past 80 feet. 40-80 feet work on a high aneiser shot that will fall back, to give it a chance to go in but not blow past it.

I like the soft gentle anhyzer stoll out ( like avery) I've become deadily accurate w/ it from 75-125 ft.

Catch! What a novel concept. Doh! :eek: I can't believe I forgot about this simple way of practicing the short game.

JR said:
Sounds like jump putt territory to me.
I remember seeing Locastro jump putt a lot from this range, and he was quite good at it. I should really try it out and see if it works for me.

I played with a dude the other day who simply had a way of getting a lot of wrist into his 180 g Crystal Challenger (gummy, sweet putter!), and he was straddle putting so he could get a deeper and stronger backswing. He was always hitting metal from this range.

I'm guessing that it's incorrect, but I throw a very Ultimate style throw in that range. Low release, one or zero steps.

No step run at the chains is my call on those shots. 40-80 is my money range. I make more good putts at that distance than I do any closer range... :oops:

Catch is the best suggestion I've seen in this thread. It's also a great way to warm up before leagues/weeklies/tourneys.

SkaBob said:
No step run at the chains is my call on those shots. 40-80 is my money range.

Yeah, part of my hesitance while throwing is probably just being a pussy. I need to man up. When I throw it with more vinegar, I can actually be more accurate than when I'm limp wristing the disc as if it were some disgusting rag I found in a pile of shit and that I'm tossing in the trash bin (and missing). :lol:

Considering your last comment, I'd say catch is what you need. Basically, this is not a distance you can't hit anytime you want, the problem is (I'm guessing) that you either throw it too short because you don't want to blast by OR you blast by and put yourself in an uncomfortable putting distance for the par/birdie, etc. Thus, it's just a matter of you throwing that shot enough to be comfortable with hitting closer to that distance when you need to. So, from 80' you can drop something within a 20' circle.

At that range, I'm going to try jump putting a lot of the time. I will also throw a slight anhyzer to fade back in or toss something understable almost flat and sort of throw from chest facing the basket and do a right pec drill type of shot. It's not hard to flick a putter 80'.

JR said:
Sounds like jump putt territory to me.

^this

Also, in the 75' range, I use a sort of weird hybrid spin-jump putt...I don't think I can explain it here but it is exactly what it sounds like.