• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Garrett's Bag-update from 5-22-2011

GarrettDN

Par Member
The quote below is from my original "Bag" post years ago. I stopped playing as much-took last year basically completely off--but am throwing again. Anyway, here is my bag now:

Putters:
2 X R-Pro Darts, 175

Midrange
Turnovers: 173 Goldline Fuse (Flat, early run)
Straight: 178 Proton Axis
Straight: 180 Eclipse Axis
Overstable: 180 Pro Shark

Notes: I carry two Axis because I am still learning it (if JUST replaced my S-Line MD2 this wee) and I like to have two for practice rounds.
I was carrying an OPTO Fuse, too, but I think it is closer to my Darts, so I can use those for similar shots.

Fairway Drivers
Understable/Low Power: 175 CE JLS
Straight: 170 Z Avenger, seasoned (old-style)
Overstable: 170 Z Avenger (newish)

Distance Drivers
Understable: 170 Star Vulcan
Stable: 175 Champ DD2
Overstable/Wind: 170 Opto Blitz

Open bombs: 165 Pro Boss

Note: My ego requires that I keep a disc for open bombs in my bag. It is a contract.
The DD2 is REALLY durable. The leading edge of the wing is pretty robust.
The Opto Blitz is the old style stamp. It is almost impervious to wind, head or tail.

I loved the S-MD2s, but they just never felt like they aligned with the Fuse and the Shark. They fly dead straight and fight turnover like a MMA heavyweight. They are fast. Predictable. Heck, as I describe them it is a winder I don't still have it in my bag (and what to do with all my first run C-MD2s and other S-MD2s), but something about it just didn't go with the other discs I threw in that range. Maybe the bead was just too much for me. Anyway, digging the Axis now.

I've made some changes (don't we all). My current setup is as follows:
--note: listed from left to right most/least stable--

Max-D: Pro Boss

Long range: Opto Blitz, Champ DD2, Star Katana

Fairway: Z-Avenger, CE JLS, X-XS

Approach: Pro Shark, S-Line MD2, BEAT Dx Shark

Putting: R-Pro Dart

The Pro Boss takes a bit of movement left and right, so I don't love it for anything except open D. My ego requires me to carry a max-d disc, so it stays in even though I rarely use it in tourney play.

The Champ DD2 is a disc that the more I use the more I like it. It is undoubtedly the most predictable, controllable 2.4+cm rim driver I have ever thrown. I originally bought it just because I thought it would be cool to try. It has better HSS and less LSS than my Pro Boss, but doesn't have the glide.

The beat Dx Shark has almost literally no fade. I often have people ask what I threw after it just lays down flat at the end of its flight.

I just got the Opto Blitz. The PD2s and a Avery Jenkins Destroyer I have are way to overstable for me. If I want to disc to turn left out of my hand I will just release hyzer. The Blitz, for me, is like a beefier Tee-Rex that handles wind much better. Super predictable.

Latest posts