• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway G1

bombproof

Anyone have any insight on this disc? I picked one up and it's straight money. Curious if anyone knows if it will be a full production run disc and be scheduled to be PDGA approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 6 -1 1 sound about right? That's what their site has listed. Might have to pick one up to play with.

Looks like this disc just got PDGA approval. Is anybody still throwing one that can comment on how they're flying?

Looks like this disc just got PDGA approval. Is anybody still throwing one that can comment on how they're flying?

Sounds like a Prodigy mold and I hear their stock is currently down lol

I was thinking P1 but I realized that's a discmania mold. F7 and M4 and stuff...letter/number(s) is predominantly a Prodigy thing. I found it odd Gateway left their more traditional naming system.

No need to respond I've never thrown one I shouldn't be posting in this thread.

This is the best Gateway distance mold available.

Very much like a Wraith in feel and flight.

The name is bad though which I think ultimately will hurt sales. I pushed hard for them to name this the Cthulu (match the mythos much better IMO) but the G(One) stuck, much to my dismay.

Nevertheless, the disc is great for someone who likes to throw Gateway discs such as myself.

I would buy a Cthulu for name alone, especially if we could get a cool stamp.

I will buy a G1 anyways. Cause I am intrigued by the mold. Really hard to believe that little fade on that fast a disc unless it's more flippy than it's supposed to be. Numbers are numbers.

Journey is already a flippy wraith type flight. Is the G1 more or less understable than a Journey? Pdga numbers suggest the G One is faster with a 2.3cm rim vs the wraith 2.1. Same rim size as my hurricanes is intriguing. . .

This is the best Gateway distance mold available.

Very much like a Wraith in feel and flight.

The name is bad though which I think ultimately will hurt sales. I pushed hard for them to name this the Cthulu (match the mythos much better IMO) but the G(One) stuck, much to my dismay.

Nevertheless, the disc is great for someone who likes to throw Gateway discs such as myself.

That would have been an awesome name, swing and a miss there.

Back in the day Dave Mac would do polls for names on the pdga discussion board. Then he would take all the suggestions and the vote and name the disc what he wanted anyway. A lot of the suggested names for renaming the element-X ended up MVP discs/Plastics soon after. Ion, Atom, Proton/Neutron/Electron... And lots of stuff he eventually used. I think Shaman came from one of those threads.

Very early on Dave Mac had a golf club style naming system.

I want to think the wizard was the g9i? Or maybe that was the chief…which from my understanding was just a wizard made in their H or hytrel plastic?

I get recycling names in order to save money on pdga fees but Gateway was always the worst about bringing back names from the dead when they retool something. It gets confusing when the intended flight of the disc changes fairly dramatically though.

Very early on Dave Mac had a golf club style naming system.

I want to think the wizard was the g9i? Or maybe that was the chief…which from my understanding was just a wizard made in their H or hytrel plastic?

I get recycling names in order to save money on pdga fees but Gateway was always the worst about bringing back names from the dead when they retool something. It gets confusing when the intended flight of the disc changes fairly dramatically though.

I remember those for sure. Yes the Chief was the H blend wizard. I am glad they ditched those naming conventions with how poorly the Prodigy/Discmania numbering systems seem to go over...

Looks like they changed the numbers, -2/1 for turn/fade.

I saw that too, so much more reasonable. -1,1 is hard to believe is possible much above a 7 speed.

I think 'Witch' would be a really good name for a Gateway disc. Cthulu would have been awesome! G(one) is certain to hurt its sales, regardless of how good it flies.

Mine just arrived and I went and threw them a few times. In looks and flight, the discs they remind me of the most is the Clash Wild Honey. The inner rim feel is different as Clash has a very different feel. Very nice almost and almost perfect dome(I hate flat distance drivers). The quality is less refined. I am sure I will find some jobs for them.

Is it pronounced G 1 or Gone?

Knowing gateway you'll see G-Unit stamps or maybe even use that as a mold name going forward.

I was just looking at some Gateway G-Ones and noticed they have different molding marks from other Gateway discs. At the 9 & 3 o'clock positions they have circles.
New molding equipment?

Latest posts