• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway OS & US Fairway Proto's

SpikeHyzer

* Ace Member *
The new OS fairway from Gateway looks like it'll be named the Blade(Should be PDGA approved in early January). I don't have the measurement spec's on the disc yet. However, I've been throwing this thing around now for a few weeks and am really surprised at this disc. This is a disc that will fill a void in their lineup for sure. The proto's are super flat and made in a Diamond/Platinum mix it seems. The flight numbers published by Gateway are 9, 5, 0, 3. I'd rate it more like 8,4, -.5, 3. Flight-wise, it really reminds me of the 2015 Sexton Firebird's.

The new US fairway from Gateway doesn't have a prospective name just yet, but it is a solid flyer if you have slow to medium are speed. The feel is similar to that of the Assassin, but it looks to have a different top. The initial flight numbers from Gateway are 9, 6, -2, 1. For the most part, I feel like that is a pretty accurate depiction for this disc. A case could be made to adjust the speed to 8. Out of the box, it is a pretty straight flyer with some late turn to it. This disc with a tailwind has the ability to stretch its legs out like a distance driver if you get a hold of it. If you're looking for a competitor mold to compare it to, I'd probably say the closest comparison would be the Discraft Heat.

Both of these disc's are definitely worth checking out as additions to anybody's bag.

The blade is a nice disc.
The one I got is FAF and ranks with some of my morst os firebirds.
Very comfortable and a really nice flyer for sure.

Does your Blade have some flashing on it? I have one that still has the flashing and one that I removed the flashing. Here are my findings in terms of flight.

With Flashing
Speed: 8
Glide: 4
Turn: 0
Fade: +3

Without Flashing
Turn: -.5

FYI, In my original post, I forgot to mention that my flight numbers were based on the flash being removed. It was more comfortable in the hand.

Been wanting to try these discs. I was hoping they'd name them the Schmirebird and the Schmalkyrie. But the blade is a fitting name, wonder what they'll call the US one?

Does your Blade have some flashing on it? I have one that still has the flashing and one that I removed the flashing. Here are my findings in terms of flight.

With Flashing
Turn: 0

Without Flashing
Turn: -.5

FYI, In my original post, I forgot to mention that my flight numbers were based on the flash being removed. It was more comfortable in the hand.

Mine does still have some flashing on it.

They have definitely filled a gap in their line up with the blade though.

I used to never think flashing affected flight that much until I got a fresh assassin that wouldn't hold it's turn until I trimmed the flashing off the rim.
After that it is my most dependable hyzerflip/control driver.

I'm a huge fan of both the Blade and the new US proto (to be named 11/16). They fill in the fairway driver slots perfectly, allowing for a full spectrum of stability across the board. An argument could be made for 8 speed on the FD's, but geometrically they fit right in the 9 speed wheelhouse due to wing length alone.

The new Hyper Diamond (HD) plastic blend is super durable and stiff, which complements the Diamond and Platinum blends quite well. It allows for a touch more high speed stability, so I am interested to see how it adapts the Apex and Journey molds.

Gateway is trending in the right direction this year, so I am looking forward to some big things coming in 2019.

Latest posts