• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway Park West, Fort Worth TX

mreavey

I went out to this park on the day of the Hangover Classic. I was told there were only 8 permanent baskets and that they would have new ones installed soon. After some research online (limited information there too) I discovered that there was a delay in the payment to whomever, which delays the installation of the baskets. I havent heard any updates about it. I thought this course was pretty nice looking from the drive-around.

Does anyone know when this course will have 18 baskets?

Also, I remember seeing a map detailing another 18 holes on the east side of the Trinity. Any news about expansion (after they install the first 18 baskets, of course.)

I haven't heard anything on when the baskets will be installed. The other course will be done at a much later date. The hope is that the city will put up the money to have Houck Designs do consulting with the people who did the current course.

I liked the park. I will not be going back for a few years. It is a long drive for me and I feel like they left too many trees on most of the fairways. I also had issues with the greens. At the hangover classic I had many great tee shots leaving me within 40' of the basket and would have no shot at making the putt. I'm a fan of interesting greens, but it was so rough that it wasn't fair to me. Once they get the course dialed in and good year of people playing it, I will be excited to go back. If I didn't live so far away I would be with the FunkyTown Flyers working to get the course the way I would like it to be.

Yeah I went to Towne Lake in McKinney and noticed the same thing. Just needs to be trampled a little more in some areas, and in others maybe plant some grass so its not a mudhole after a rainshower.

If anyone hears anything about the rest of the baskets please update this thread.

You guys are talking about the "rest of the baskets"....I went this morning and there were NO baskets. I was expecting the 8 that everyone has stated previously. Anybody know what's going on, or how long it will be til we can actually play this course?

I think by "the eight baskets" they meant the hardware has been put in the ground to mount them.

I dropped by during lunch last week to check it out and walked the first few holes and saw the basket locations with the lockplates ready.

This course is going to really appeal to the finesse throwers but it is going to be a tough course for the casual disc golfer. I manage to deflect off every twig in my way and from what I saw there are many precision shots here. Anyone who has a bad throw into the thicker trees is going to have a tough time until the course gets played enough to clear out some of that debris.

I have been going there just about everyday there are still no baskets, don't know when they will get them in, but I'm new to the game and me and my wift find that it is a very fun course to play on. Right now we just play to see who can get closest to the basket post first. For anyone worndering it is an 18 hole course.

I talked to Brandon the designer via email the other day and he thought that the city would be finally paying him for the baskets within the next couple of weeks. I told him that if they don't, to get me the email of the guy in charge at the city and that I could probably get at least a hundred people to write email to him everyday to force the issue. ;) :D

I will keep you posted as I hear things. :cool:

If I dont see any baskets within a month I would be more than happy to join the petition for hurry the !@#$ up already. I am tired of trekking out there for disappointment.

The bigger the city the more red tape you have to go threw,the city is not going to cut him a check because you want to flood them with e-mails.This might do more bad than good,I would let Brandon handle it.

You can play it by bringing a basket with you if your is not too heavy. It's annoying but you could at least play it and get a real score for the course. I hate shooting at an invisible basket, that is no fun. Plus, I'm the type of player that needs to put the disc in each basket even if it's a drop in.

Yes sir,Teth Sein(winner of the Hangover) told me today matter of fact that the baskets will be in at Gateway Park in Fort Worth by mid-march.Teth and his brother will be running the mini there every sunday at two thirty(so as to not conflict with the Veterans early morning mini on the same day.Teth didnt have a set date yet but sounds definate that by the end of this month the course will be a full eighteen!

Awesome! Ill probably be headed down there this weekend or the next to see.

I heard that its a jungle down there. Have there been further landscaping efforts since the hangover?

Gateway Park DGC in Fort Worth

All you Funkytown Flyers should stop coveting those low number tags and defend it with honor at the first mini tourneys here.Tags don't mean much stuck to your wall at home.

Last edited:
Everyone interested in playing this course right now should take a portable basket with you and just set it up on every hole. That way you can play the course and actually get to hole out. Plus, you'll pretty much have the whole course to yourself and will be helping to start the process of getting the fairways more cleared of the briars.
I really like this course. It would be nice to have more run up room and ability to skip your disc on the ground in the fairways, but the absence of those factors make it an even more difficult course as it is.
It'll be a couple of years at least before this course is more "user friendly".

Yeah I was thinking of playing a round of object golf but its just not the same. Maybe I can convince a friend to bring a portable basket. I should bring the dog and take advantage of the lack of other golfers. At any rate I am going Sunday Morning!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but here it is again just in case. There is a regular mini at Gateway on Sundays at 3. They have been going for 3 weeks now. I've played in one of them and we had about 10 people. I heard that they had even more last Sunday and were able to set up 9 temp baskets. Come out if you can. You'll get to play a course that not many have played yet, plus some of your entry fee goes toward course maintenence which will help get baskets out there more quickly. I heard today that the city has completely backed out of getting the baskets out there.

Baskets at Gateway

I heard from gilbert that they will be in by the end of the week! I heard from someone else 5 minutes before the exact same thing you said! Have faith they will be in soon:D

I heard from gilbert that they will be in by the end of the week! I heard from someone else 5 minutes before the exact same thing you said! Have faith they will be in soon:D

Yeah, I should have put an update on here as well. I heard Friday night that they weren't going in at all and then on Sunday I talked to Gilbert and he said they'd be in by the end of the week. I updated the course page with the news, but forgot to on here as well. Haha. Well I guess we better have faith in Gilbert, because he's my source as well.