• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Putters

If your looking for something that is pdga legal for tournaments, make sure not to get a wizard sss over 174. I was told that for that particular discs diameter, the max legal weight is 174.

I've used the Wizard, Vodoo and Magic in various plastics.

Which plastic is best is subjective. It depends on what you want. My favorites are Supersoft, Organic and Evo. My first Wizard was a Super Soft and it's been driven at full power into trees at least 100 times now, and it flies great and looks surprisingly good. The Organics have nice grip, and I enjoy driving with them. I also have an Evo Wizard I drive with. It skips better than the softer plastics and it's extremely durable, so accidental tree hits are little concern. I tend to go for floppy / grippy softs for putting, and grippy, stiffer organics or evos for driving. In my experience the softer the plastic the quicker they break in.

As to how they fly they are most to least stable in the order of Wizard, Voodoo, Magic.

They all have nice glide.

Wizards fade sooner in flight than the other two, but it's not a sudden drop to the ground kind of fade, its gradual. It's reliable as a driver and putter. With longer putts the Wizard will finish with a more pronounced fade than the other two. With it's glide and stability, it's easy to drive this disc further than other putters.

The Voodoo flies straighter than the Wizard, but still has a reliable fade. At 300' of distance it shows a higher tendancy to turn in the HSS part of the flight, but it will come back and fade consistently. Putts similar to the Wizard inside 50', just fades slightly later in flight.

The Magic is very straight for putts, with the least amount of fade of the 3. It's very accurate for putting inside the circle or long jump putts. Driving with it, it's much easier to turn over, but in calm conditions can be put on a straight line for 300' thrown with a bit of hyzer. Good anhyzer or turnover short range driver.

Wizard is my favorite. It's my most reliable disc, and the disc I've thrown the most out of every mold out there. All my aces are with Wizards too. That said I've been putting with Magics for the past few weeks and I've come to appreciate how straight and accurate they are.

Last edited:
At 30 ft. and closer it really doesn't matter what putter you use, it's 30 ft.

Driving with putters will tell you the true flight path of it. Having said that, I've putted and drove with Magics, Wizards and Voodoos for a long time. Warlocks seem like a useless mold. Sorry, personal opinion only. All I know is they are supposed to be out of the box beat in wizard-like flight paths. If that's the case, I'll stick with a true beat in wizard for consistency.

Wizards are overstable and very predictable, as they age the juice only gets sweeter. These have a bead if you like or dislike beaded molds.

Magics are understable, if you turn one over too much, you can kiss it goodbye, it is not fading back. Can be a good/bad thing depending on your play style. No bead. Best putter ever made for actual putting duties IMO.

Voodoos lie in between the first two in stability. Tiny bead.

As far as plastics go, Gateway has some great putter molds but they're pretty inconsistent with plastic. You can get a floppy SSS one day then order another that will still say SSS but be as firm as a Soft and vice versa. It's a marketing ploy to get you to by multiples of the same mold hoping for that perfect feeling disc.

The eraser like Softs are money.

I know, but once I start getting too far from the basket, I've been horrible lately. And would you recommend the softs over the SSS's? I might just have to get all three molds :rolleyes: oh well.

If your looking for something that is pdga legal for tournaments, make sure not to get a wizard sss over 174. I was told that for that particular discs diameter, the max legal weight is 174.

Oh wow, thanks for saving me from a big mistake. I plan on ordering more than one, but I guess I'll just go for a 173 and 174. Thanks. Also, whats the difference between an organic and a regular Wizard?

I've used the Wizard, Vodoo and Magic in various plastics.

Which plastic is best is subjective. It depends on what you want. My favorites are Supersoft, Organic and Evo. My first Wizard was a Super Soft and it's been driven at full power into trees at least 100 times now, and it flies great and looks surprisingly good. The Organics have nice grip, and I enjoy driving with them. I also have an Evo Wizard I drive with. It skips better than the softer plastics and it's extremely durable, so accidental tree hits are little concern. I tend to go for floppy / grippy softs for putting, and grippy, stiffer organics or evos for driving. In my experience the softer the plastic the quicker they break in.

As to how they fly they are most to least stable in the order of Wizard, Voodoo, Magic.

They all have nice glide.

Wizards fade sooner in flight than the other two, but it's not a sudden drop to the ground kind of fade, its gradual. It's reliable as a driver and putter. With longer putts the Wizard will finish with a more pronounced fade than the other two. With it's glide and stability, it's easy to drive this disc further than other putters.

The Voodoo flies straighter than the Wizard, but still has a reliable fade. At 300' of distance it shows a higher tendancy to turn in the HSS part of the flight, but it will come back and fade consistently. Putts similar to the Wizard inside 50', just fades slightly later in flight.

The Magic is very straight for putts, with the least amount of fade of the 3. It's very accurate for putting inside the circle or long jump putts. Driving with it, it's much easier to turn over, but in calm conditions can be put on a straight line for 300' thrown with a bit of hyzer. Good anhyzer or turnover short range driver.

Wizard is my favorite. It's my most reliable disc, and the disc I've thrown the most out of every mold out there. All my aces are with Wizards too. That said I've been putting with Magics for the past few weeks and I've come to appreciate how straight and accurate they are.

I think you just sold me on getting a few Magics :thmbup:

Thanks

Out of the box the Magic will respond to exactly what your hand tells it. It's easy to run straight at the basket, hyzer putt or anhyzer putt with it. I highly recommend you do buy one.

Really?....(me/ leaves computer room to run to grab the my WizardSSS out of my disc bag to check the weight..... Cool.... 174! :thmbup:)