• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Can any of you wizard experts give me some more info on SB wizards? Is there a breakdown of the different SB variations? For example, what does sb-25 stand for? I've also seen different corresponding number. Do the Sb's come in different flexes like SS or SSS? Also, do they all tend to mold up with flat tops, and low shoulders? Thanks in advance for any info.

I was going to ask this today too. I have an SB22 that I love! But, I noticed it was slightly less stable than all of my other wizards of different plastics. It'd be nice to know if SB22 is similar to any other SB blends or plastics.

Can any of you wizard experts give me some more info on SB wizards? Is there a breakdown of the different SB variations? For example, what does sb-25 stand for? I've also seen different corresponding number. Do the Sb's come in different flexes like SS or SSS? Also, do they all tend to mold up with flat tops, and low shoulders? Thanks in advance for any info.

The numbers Gateway adds to their plastic blends simply designate the flex rating of the disc. Ever since PDGA gave them a hard time for making putters that are too stiff (search for G9i Wizards if you want to know more), Gateway released the SB plastic blend and added the flexibility ratings. The PDGA tech standards say that all discs must have a flex rating of no greater than 27lbs. A SB-25 Wizard should have a flex rating of 25lbs, which is pretty close to the stiffest allowed by PDGA standards. Likewise, SB-18 or SB-22 Wizards have flex ratings of 18lbs and 22lbs respectively, and are more flexible. The plastic itself should be the same across all SB Wizards, but the flex agents that are added will obviously affect the feel of each disc.

SBs are all over the place. Each "Special Blend" is a unique blend. Call someone at Gateway if you want to know the relative properties of any particular one.

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. Looks like I'll be getting in contact with someone at Gateway.

The numbers Gateway adds to their plastic blends simply designate the flex rating of the disc. Ever since PDGA gave them a hard time for making putters that are too stiff (search for G9i Wizards if you want to know more), Gateway released the SB plastic blend and added the flexibility ratings. The PDGA tech standards say that all discs must have a flex rating of no greater than 27lbs. A SB-25 Wizard should have a flex rating of 25lbs, which is pretty close to the stiffest allowed by PDGA standards. Likewise, SB-18 or SB-22 Wizards have flex ratings of 18lbs and 22lbs respectively, and are more flexible. The plastic itself should be the same across all SB Wizards, but the flex agents that are added will obviously affect the feel of each disc.

Excellent info, I appreciate your help :clap:

The numbers in SB aren't flex ratings like they are in the G-series (except the G9i which predates the current G-series). The SB25 would be the 25th blend they've run. Pretty sure the SB11s (at least) are quite firm. The number just gives you an idea of what to look for if you want a backup.

The numbers in SB aren't flex ratings like they are in the G-series (except the G9i which predates the current G-series). The SB25 would be the 25th blend they've run. Pretty sure the SB11s (at least) are quite firm. The number just gives you an idea of what to look for if you want a backup.

img.jpg

Why would they have the numbers be flex ratings for one blend and run numbers for another blend? :confused::confused::confused:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Gateway. Thanks for clearing it up.

The SB numbers are chronological. They have nothing to do with what they feel like.

In my experience, that is.

Thanks for clearing that up.
:)

What options are there for premium wizards typically available these days? I tried an HPP Evo misprint for a while but was not a huge fan of the flex or the reduced glide over S.

I throw a Fuzion Judge that I dig; I would like to get my hands on a Fuzion or Star/ESP Wizard some time...

What options are there for premium wizards typically available these days? I tried an HPP Evo misprint for a while but was not a huge fan of the flex or the reduced glide over S.

I throw a Fuzion Judge that I dig; I would like to get my hands on a Fuzion or Star/ESP Wizard some time...

Most premium plastic discs will have less glide than the base plastic counterparts. This applies across all manufacturers.

There have been Evo/Evo Platium runs in the past that flew straighter and faded later than the rest. Maybe that's what you're looking for. Majority of them do like to dump pretty hard when new. Try to find ones with a lower shoulder - in my experience they fly straighter and beat in quicker than the ones with a high shoulder.

I believe they ran some wizards in the new diamond blend that is fairly stiff, there's some on Facebook floating around

I had a diamond wiz from one of the first runs. It was the stiffest, slickest disc I've ever felt. It definitely didn't fit what I wanted.

I also had a couple of the more recent diamonds in yellow and pink. Much nicer.

I had a diamond wiz from one of the first runs. It was the stiffest, slickest disc I've ever felt. It definitely didn't fit what I wanted.

I also had a couple of the more recent diamonds in yellow and pink. Much nicer.

I'd maybe look for one with the "ace your face" stamp, I got one off auction from William Selders and while it isn't XG Rhyno soft, it has a nice flex and grip to it.

Or you should try Prodiscus Premium or Ultrium JOKERi. It's not that deep but flight is almost the same. And Ultrium is the best plastic you can find for your discs.

Is there any Wizard plastic that is like a Omega Supersoft?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk