• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I got some new chalky eraser wizards that are pretty stiff for my 2019 putting putters (F/SS). Before that my erasers were probably closer to SSS in flex. The chalkier the better with eraser for me.

Before I found the eraser, my ideal wizard was one with SS flex, but SSS grip. Tweeners from both flexes fit the bill.

Same here. Brand new stiff super grippy erasers are going to be in the putting putter slot for 2019.

Well I finally went to the gateway factory. I had every intention of picking up some wizards. They had just run some pure white warlocks and I couldn't resist. The amount of wizards they have and the variations were almost overwhelming. The firmer eraser Nikko wizards were probably my favorites. Probably gonna pick up a couple next time I head that way.

Well I finally went to the gateway factory. I had every intention of picking up some wizards. They had just run some pure white warlocks and I couldn't resist. The amount of wizards they have and the variations were almost overwhelming. The firmer eraser Nikko wizards were probably my favorites. Probably gonna pick up a couple next time I head that way.
It's hard not to get mesmerized by whatever latest run they are molding/stamping when you go in there. I have way more swirly SSS voodoos than I'll ever need but they sure are pretty!

I'm glad they're putting the Nikko stamp on some more plastics. I have a couple of the first run, but they are too soft to put in the bag.

I picked up a new diamond. I just noticed it sparkled. My others do not. Is this new? Anyone throw it? I'm hoping it's meaty.

So I felt up some blows today, IDK for sure but it's possible I may soon throw these and putt PWs. What are your experiences with the glows?

So I felt up some blows today, IDK for sure but it's possible I may soon throw these and putt PWs. What are your experiences with the glows?

Glad you asked... I have one that is stiff and slick (gendalf stamp). It feels like a firm or old medium. Good for driving. A bit too slick for putting (i use ER).
I was having a great round with it on Tuesday. Parked a 260 ft drive. Noticed a few girls waking their dog by the basket. Next thing i hear is my buddy yelling at the girls... My disc now has bite marks in it.
I was furious. Girl responded, it's just a frisbee.
FU.

Anywho... Find an old stiffy.

Glad you asked... I have one that is stiff and slick (gendalf stamp). It feels like a firm or old medium. Good for driving. A bit too slick for putting (i use ER).
I was having a great round with it on Tuesday. Parked a 260 ft drive. Noticed a few girls waking their dog by the basket. Next thing i hear is my buddy yelling at the girls... My disc now has bite marks in it.
I was furious. Girl responded, it's just a frisbee.
FU.

Anywho... Find an old stiffy.

The ones I felt up felt really good. Stiff, but the surface was real grippy, almost a rubber feel to the touch but like I said, stiff. The shoulder was slightly lower than my PWs which would open up some grip possibilities (PW is too deep for me to really power grip). All in all It's safe to say I will be trying one out after the kids get Xmas.

I picked up a new diamond. I just noticed it sparkled. My others do not. Is this new? Anyone throw it? I'm hoping it's meaty.

Honestly the diamond is the only Wizard I didnt really like. Its not OS per se, but it is slick to the point that I feel like its not going anywhere since it doesnt get the spin/snap to get moving. Tried to auction it, nobody wanted it at 4€. Its in the closet now.

Glows interest me too. If I ever come upon a stiff one that still has that great rubbery grip.

My experience of glows start and stop at this rubbery S/SS-ish blend. As I said, really digging them for winter-putting. Might become throwers come spring.

Honestly the diamond is the only Wizard I didnt really like. Its not OS per se, but it is slick to the point that I feel like its not going anywhere since it doesnt get the spin/snap to get moving. Tried to auction it, nobody wanted it at 4€. Its in the closet now.

Glows interest me too. If I ever come upon a stiff one that still has that great rubbery grip.

I was mainly concerned about the sparkle/shimmer of my recent purchase. It's as if it has a very fine metal flake in the plastic unlike my others that are completely clear.

These are what I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday. If I wasn't already on a specific mission I'd have grabbed a couple.

I think we've exchanged comments on this before but the Glows I like are stiff and grippy as you describe and my most overstable wizards. They are at least as overstable as the the couple of PWs I have and are great for throwing off of the tee. I have glows that are a bit floppy too but those I don't throw very far. I have trouble driving floppy putters.
I also have some glow$. Not sure what the $ means. I was told there was extra glow stuff in them but not sure that's true. If you don't want those stiff glows, I'll trade you my PWs for them, LOL.

Honestly the diamond is the only Wizard I didnt really like. Its not OS per se.

Track yourself down one of the opaque diamond wizards, if you want to have the most overstable wizard. I've got a black and a blue that are almost like a zone in terms of stability. Even thrown with a fair bit of anhyzer, they still fight back and have a strong hyzer finish.

Now, in terms of the firm yet tacky glow wizards. If it's the run I'm thinking of, those were run probably 5 or so years ago...so coming across them can be difficult. The last one I came across was an old Johne Demon stamped one and boy do I miss it.

I'm super pumped for them to run the wizard in the new HD blend that they're using for the new Blade and Spear. That should make for a bad ass driving putter with a super flat top.

Track yourself down one of the opaque diamond wizards, if you want to have the most overstable wizard. I've got a black and a blue that are almost like a zone in terms of stability. Even thrown with a fair bit of anhyzer, they still fight back and have a strong hyzer finish.

Now, in terms of the firm yet tacky glow wizards. If it's the run I'm thinking of, those were run probably 5 or so years ago...so coming across them can be difficult. The last one I came across was an old Johne Demon stamped one and boy do I miss it.

I'm super pumped for them to run the wizard in the new HD blend that they're using for the new Blade and Spear. That should make for a bad ass driving putter with a super flat top.

That sounds about right for the time frame on mine. I was hording them but now I'm down to my last one so your comment made me pucker a little. Now you've motivated me to take a drive to the gateway factory with my one remaining stiffie in hand to see if they can match it. If they have what I'm looking for, it's going to be an expensive trip.

I didn't even think about that, but that would be awesome. The Blade was a little too OS for my arm, but that HD plastic was great. They didn't have Spears in HD plastic when I ordered one, but that would be great. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for HD Wizards.

I think we've exchanged comments on this before but the Glows I like are stiff and grippy as you describe and my most overstable wizards. They are at least as overstable as the the couple of PWs I have and are great for throwing off of the tee. I have glows that are a bit floppy too but those I don't throw very far. I have trouble driving floppy putters.
I also have some glow$. Not sure what the $ means. I was told there was extra glow stuff in them but not sure that's true. If you don't want those stiff glows, I'll trade you my PWs for them, LOL.

Just curious, do the Ions and Wizards not overlap? I noticed in your sig you carry both.

Just curious, do the Ions and Wizards not overlap? I noticed in your sig you carry both.

They are more or less interchangeable. The ion is beat in from five years of use and I use it as my main putter since it flies really straight now. I like to keep fresh Wizard for overstable upshot duties and drives off of the tee. The ion is just as good off of the tee but since its my main putter it stays within eyesight. I would be sad to lose it. Wizards come and go.