• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

Chalky wizards. Explain?
Story time answer: back in the late 90's when Gateway started they literally were a dude making discs in his basement, and every early run of Sabres had something not right about them while he learned how to mix plastics. We used to sort them into to two major categories; gassy and streaky. The gassy discs had visible gas bubbles (this was back in the base plastic only days and you never had visible gas bubbles in DX plastic so at the time is seemed like a huge issue) and the streaky discs had streaks of resin that didn't mix in completely. The streaky thing also happened on Discraft Tournament Pro plastic (we called it "Cyclone dust") and Millennium/Pro plastic so while the Gateway streaks were pronounced, it didn't seem like as huge an issue as the gas bubbles. You just had this "flying through space" screensaver look happening on your disc.

The Gateway spin on gassy and streaky was that the gassy discs flew farther and the streaky discs had better grip, so I knew guys that looked specifically for both kinds.

Fast forward 23 years; Gateway still will from time to time not get the resin mix right and will run a batch of streaky discs. They just call them "Chalky" and sell them. Is it an accident that they market, or is there demand for them so they do it on purpose? Nobody on this board will know.

I post pictures of this disc a lot; I'm hoping one day Davey Mac will pay me to stop:

Early Gateway Sabre:

picture.php

picture.php

The flight plate is wavy, there are resin dots (no streaks though and no gas bubbles so this was a good batch), I have no idea what is going on with the color and yes, the nipple is still attached. Almost all early Sabres came with the nipple still on, Davey Mac said we should cut them off ourselves. :|. They 100% look like some dude made a disc in their basement, because some dude made it in his basement.

These were not the first run of Sabre, though. He donated these to the Club Championships in St. Louis in I think fall of '98 (could have been '99) and I know t wasn't the first Sabre I had.

At any rate, Gateway did a lot of trial and error to get to today. Some of the lemons they make into lemonade.

I post pictures of this disc a lot; I'm hoping one day Davey Mac will pay me to stop:

Early Gateway Sabre:

picture.php

picture.php

The flight plate is wavy, there are resin dots (no streaks though and no gas bubbles so this was a good batch), I have no idea what is going on with the color and yes, the nipple is still attached. Almost all early Sabres came with the nipple still on, Davey Mac said we should cut them off ourselves. :|. They 100% look like some dude made a disc in their basement, because some dude made it in his basement.

These were not the first run of Sabre, though. He donated these to the Club Championships in St. Louis in I think fall of '98 (could have been '99) and I know t wasn't the first Sabre I had.

At any rate, Gateway did a lot of trial and error to get to today. Some of the lemons they make into lemonade.

Maybe off topic, but I have a nice Organic Prototype Wizard and one stamped with DD.

I know there is a RFF Chalk. I think there is some kind or Fossil Chalk blend too. Is that the same 'mistake' type of thing or a deliberate attempt at extra grip. If I remember right the RFF Chalk description said something about adding chalk to the blend.

I know there is a RFF Chalk. I think there is some kind or Fossil Chalk blend too. Is that the same 'mistake' type of thing or a deliberate attempt at extra grip. If I remember right the RFF Chalk description said something about adding chalk to the blend.
Gateway is a different sort of place so you never know for sure what they are doing. Mistake or deliberate run, either way if you like that sort of thing it's there so what's the difference?

Recently got a Wizard with no tooling at all. It's an OG $ blend. Anybody else seen this before?

No on a Wizard, but I have some PW Warlocks from only a few years ago that randomly had no tooling.

No tooling at all, just penned. Bought a few months ago. No idea what the blend is supposed to be, but super stiff. Maybe equivalent to the G-25s I have

Attachments

• 20211109_150902.jpg
    20211109_150902.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211109_150907.jpg
    20211109_150907.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211109_150911.jpg
    20211109_150911.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 19
So I just want to say that the OG Money / Money (I use both) plastic discs are seriously becoming my go-tos for shorter approaches or for when I just wanna go for it when I'm at least 20+ feet away from the basket and so far I've been getting better and better at putting with those two discs.

I've mostly just putted with Wizards but have been using my kinda beat SSS as an approach and off the tee for a couple holes and it kinda made me feel dumb. I've always struggled with tight gaps and short approaches and I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure out that I had the perfect disc already

I putt with Wizards and have thrown them with success from the tee but for whatever reason I prefer the Envy off the tee.

Kudos to those that use the Wizard off the tee.

I can do it (the Wizard and Envy have a very similar flight but different hand feel) but just prefer the Envy off the tee.

Enjoy.

I putt with Wizards and have thrown them with success from the tee but for whatever reason I prefer the Envy off the tee.

I can do it (the Wizard and Envy have a very similar flight but different hand feel) but just prefer the Envy off the tee.

Enjoy.
I've heard a lot of really good things about the Envy, but I've never been tempted to try one. I already have Wizards.

I've heard a lot of really good things about the Envy, but I've never been tempted to try one. I already have Wizards.

I think if I started on a Wizard instead of a Banger GT in Jawbreaker, I'd still be throwing Wizards. That disc felt *so right*. Didn't put in any reps as a throwing putter, but I still think the Wizard has the best hand feel for me of any putter for putting itself.

Envy was a huge, scandalous affair and the abrupt divorce from Banger and subsequent Vegas marriage with the Envy has been one of the best decisions I've made for my game. I didn't marry the right one at first, but I recognized a keeper when I found it. Not trying to pimp the Envy, many discs are outstanding...just saying that I'm a firm believer in putter fidelity.

Enjoy.

I was in the exact same boat and I still throw the Envy off the tee more often. But there are a couple holes at my local course that I need to hit an 8 foot gap or so and I have a much easier time with the Wizard for whatever reason.

I think if I had a modicum of angle control I could get by with just the Wizards. My Eclipse Envy is basically my crutch and just goes in whatever direction I throw it regardless of release angle whereas the Wizard will pan out either left or right depending on the angle.

Has anyone found a good overstable compliment to the Wizard? I'm throwing a Scale right now which is great, but am curious about something a tick more os. Just wondering if there's something other than just a Zone or Harp or "insert generic overstable p&a"

Latest posts