• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gator Advice?

I would like to try some of these. However, my one experience with buying a DX Gator online was terrible. Mega dome and low PLH meant that it flew less stable than a Roc. I don't mind a mild dome, but that disc was ridiculous. Until someone tells me these feel and fly like actual Gators, I'll pass (which will also almost certainly be until they are sold out, but oh well).

Were the DX gators the last disc to stop using the bar stamp. I ask because I bought one two years ago from a store that has only been selling discs for maybe 6 years.

Hughes, I'm very tempted and if I do, I will most certainly report back.

IronJack, you buying?

What's the appeal of KC pro gators?

Better grip without the decreased stability and durability of DX. Also potentially cycle-able. The problem for me (other than buying sight unseen) is that they are charging like $16-$19 each for these which is a lot for baseline plastic.

I didn't think anyone was actually cycling gators. Interesting.

Were the DX gators the last disc to stop using the bar stamp. I ask because I bought one two years ago from a store that has only been selling discs for maybe 6 years.

I think they're still using the barstamp. I've seen quite a few with it lately

There are beaded and non beaded variants of this mold, I think the former are marked as Gator X but I could be wrong.

I also know Hyzerbomb makes the Mortar, a disc based on the beadless Gator and available in a GStar type of blend (At least when it launched). That would be worth looking into.

Here's a short video with the Mortar. It'll give you an idea how it compares to your Gator.

:thmbup: I recently switched from Champion Gators to Mortars. I have two Frontline-X (similar to GStar) & two Recons (Gummy Champion) Mortars. It's the closest thing to a beadless Gator that's in current production. I used Champion/Glow Champion Gators for years (5+). I made the switch because I get a cleaner release sidearm with beadless discs. It's overstable enough I don't find a need for a more beefy mid. It's beefy enough to compliment my most overstable Roc with no overlap. With that said I feel I can get a few extra feet out of it compared to a Gator. It's still doesn't have much glide (I like that) but it seems slightly "faster" than a Gator. I'd highly recommend a Mortar. If you'd prefer a bead go with a Champion Gator.

I would like to try some of these. However, my one experience with buying a DX Gator online was terrible. Mega dome and low PLH meant that it flew less stable than a Roc. I don't mind a mild dome, but that disc was ridiculous. Until someone tells me these feel and fly like actual Gators, I'll pass (which will also almost certainly be until they are sold out, but oh well).

I was at a shop that had a bunch of "Flat Top" champion Gators that were far from being flat. To be fair, they also had a few with the same label and stamp that actually came out correctly. I am not sure if this is just a problem with the mold, but I would have been pissed if I ordered one and got what was clearly not as labeled.

One of the guys I play with approaches with new and used dx gators. He also uses a well used for a putter. Might have to snag a couple for him...

I use gators for approach a lot. I like them for I want something to drop like a stone into the basket. always an ugly flight, but sometimes effective:\

I use gators for approach a lot. I like them for I want something to drop like a stone into the basket. always an ugly flight, but sometimes effective:\

No disc flight is ugly in my opinion (and especially not those that put you close to the basket). ;)

I haven't really used a Gator since I started throwing Pigs. Pigs are more comfortable in my hand, go about the same distance, do about the same thing flight-wise, and come in really nice baseline plastic (the stiff Pro available in the Innova Factory Store). Oh and they skip a lot less which makes them more predictable for me on approaches.

Here is another gator related question:

If a champ flat gator = flat champ firebird, then
???? = sexton firebird?

Is it a star, mortar, something else? Looking for that slightly mellowed flight the sextons have with the hard less dumpy fade that will skip a little. I'm not particular about a bead, and kinda guessing a frontline mortar is what I'm describing.

One of the guys I play with approaches with new and used dx gators. He also uses a well used for a putter. Might have to snag a couple for him...

My Star Gator is an awesome putter when the wind is beating me in the face. Very underrated as such.

Here is another gator related question:

If a champ flat gator = flat champ firebird, then
???? = sexton firebird?

Is it a star, mortar, something else? Looking for that slightly mellowed flight the sextons have with the hard less dumpy fade that will skip a little. I'm not particular about a bead, and kinda guessing a frontline mortar is what I'm describing.

The mortar flies somewhat like that for me, but I prefer the gator because I can exaggerate anhyzers more without worrying about them coming back. I want to try a color champ glow gator at some because I think they would be more mellow.

However, there are several variations of "flat-top" champ gators and all fly a little different. My board flat, rock hard champ glo's and some of my ring stamp flat tops are the beefiest by far. You can tell these by the way the top edge of the flight plate is almost a sharp corner.

The CFR flat tops and most of the rings gators have absolutely no dome, but they also have a bit more radius on the top edge and tend to be made of softer plastic. These fly for me like what you describe, especially after a season of wear on them.

The CFR flat tops I like tend to be stamped for smaller tournaments, and are usually labelled "CFR gator-flat top" on the white decal. Here is an example of one, not mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innova-Gato...607868?hash=item3ad78f7b7c:g:rXYAAOSwUKxYenMI

Well that is a very fine answer, thanks! Looks like a CFR or mortar is where I want to be. I don't tend to throw very exaggerated flexes, and forehand I like to really crank on my firebird for low lines and skips. My 1 year heavily used sexton is actually developing a very slight turn now but corrects very quickly. Mortar sounds like what a beat in sexton is and the CFR sounds like a fresh sexton equivalent.

I agree with that. On a side note, I need to try a sexton in my bag. I have been using beefy eagles for most FB type shots for years but my flick is finally gaining power. I love that mid-flight-turn-to-late-fade flick in the woods, be it a gator or fairway.

Hughes, I'm very tempted and if I do, I will most certainly report back.

IronJack, you buying?

Not anytime soon. Like I said, I'm holding out to get some local so I can feel them and make sure I like them, b/c if I do I'll want to get enough to cycle, like 6 at least.