• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GBO 2013

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Anybody going? Anybody choosing this over BG Ams?

I probably won't make worlds again this year, and I've been thinking mixing it up over BG Ams, I've heard good things from the GBO over the years. Either one is about as far of a drive from MN, and I do love me some BG festivities. Oh the big choices in life.

Is there anywhere that many people camp out in Emporia?

Camping can be tough. Only place within 10 miles I'm aware of is an actual RV/camper location on the west side of town. There are a few state parks within 30-45 minutes. Eisenhower is a state park 30 miles away that does have an 18-hole course on the property.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3993

Spectated in 2011, played in 2012. Both years there were 2-4 tents at Jones Park, which is a city park. Not really sanctioned camping per se, but the city didn't kick them out either.

I've wondered if there could be camping at Peter Pan park. For those that know the park, I was thinking of the open field area to the east of hole 18 near the parking lot. Anybody want to email DD about it.

I went to the GBO last year. It was the best ran tournament all year that I participated in (#51540 if you want to look). Even better than the KC Wide Open. I'm not hating on the KCWO - I'm part of the KCFDC that sponsors this, and will play KCWO again in 2013, however DD Emporia really knows how to run tournaments.

Never been to BG Ams. 2012 was my first PDGA year, played in a few non-sanctioned events in 2011.

Rusco (owner of DD) has talked several times that they are about 90% sure that the players are going to be able to use golf carts on both ball courses converted to disc courses for the GBO.

I'll be there! I registered last night to play Advanced. This will be my first GBO and I'm super excited about it!

The RV camp ground by the west of town near the truck stop is reasonable. I know camping in Jones park is not kosher as it's technically supposed to be closed after 11pm. I have never heard of anyone being kicked out for camping though. Peter pan I'm not sure about. I don't think hours or no camping is posted but one would probably be better off asking. It certainly has some areas that would be good for it. The wide open field that borders holes 15 and 16. The field that Rob spoke off near the parking lot, and also the ampitheatre area near holes 5 and 6.

I have a friend who manages the Holiday Inn express if anyone is thinking of staying there PM me before and I'll try to get her to do a DCGR member discount.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose the GBO. Can't possibly be as windy as last year and each year it seems to get an even bigger turnout and more fun. They really do amazing player's packs.

Camping at Jones has been allowed in years past, but with 400+ players likely to be in town and unpredictable Kansas April weather, I really don't recommend it. Other than the RV park on the west side of town, I don't know of any camping options closer than Melvern Lake. Eisenhower State Park is there, but there are also some USACE parks on the south and east sides of the lake with camping that are slightly closer and don't charge a daily vehicle fee.

FYI - last year a very significant thunderstorm went through Emporia one of the evenings of GBO, I think maybe the first night. If I recall, the tornado sirens went off.

I'm leaning towards sleeping in the back of my Pontiac Vibe. If I put the seats down, I can get a small futon mattress in hatch.

Scarpfish - does the Corp charge a camping fee?
Any campsite / park you recommend?

I'll be there. It'll be my second tourney ever, so i'm stoked to play in something as large as this. A few of us are making the drive down from the Chicagoland area. can't wait.

Scarpfish - does the Corp charge a camping fee?
Any campsite / park you recommend?
They do. I think its $12/night for a primitive site. Utilities sites are extra. You can view them here.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/Porta...rn/Melvern Camping Map New Draft 4 9 2012.pdf

Not being much of a camper, I wouldn't know which is best.

KDWP parks are $8/night for primitive camping (prime season), but you have to also pay $5 to enter the park unless you have an annual permit.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Park-Fees

Those are normally $25, but I'm also told that if you're a KS resident, you can pay $15 for one when renewing the plates on your vehicle.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Parks-Passport

I will be going to the GBO instead of BG AMS especially since AM Worlds will be in Emporia as well. Dynamic Discs does a great job with this tourney.

Getting my funds together as we speak...need to get re-registered with the pdga and the submit my entry. There will be at least 4 or 5 of us coming down from DSM.

Latest posts