• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gentleman's Club, Pro Weekend

Dave has told me that he actually prefers to not be in a super group. Its all the TDs decision not the players. hopefully its because they are filming it

Right now I'd give my left arm for a week off work and a ticket to Las Vegas to play some disc golf. We might see 50 degrees this week, and it won't be enough to melt off all the snow. :(

Hoe do you see it as an advantage?

Playing with better people generally leads to playing better yourself. Playing with people well below your level can lead to lower play. Consistent theme through many sports and been discussed many times. Not always of course, but more often than not.

Playing with better people generally leads to playing better yourself. Playing with people well below your level can lead to lower play. Consistent theme through many sports and been discussed many times. Not always of course, but more often than not.

For those guys, I don't think it matters. They usually get grouped with lesser players the first round of events and always manage to end up on the lead card. For some without a great mental game, it may be a disadvantage to play with players that great. Some try to match them shot for shot when they do not have the ability to do so. Rather than playing their own game, they try and do things that they aren't physically capable of doing and end up playing worse.

When I play with superpros, I know I can't do some of the things that they do. I realize that if I want to compete with them (or even stay in the neighborhood), I have to play to the best of my ability rather than trying to do the things that they do that make them so great.

I am excited, but mainly for the season to start. I play Fantasy Disc Golf with a group locally. Good times.

Wait---is there really a Fantasy Disc Golf league?! You'd rather live vicariously as a pro than actually throw.?!?
You're doing it wrong.

And there is no season in DG Oregon. We play all year long. :|

I followed the lead card both weekend days last year. Fun time. On Saturday I was one of maybe 20 people walking behind them. It's great to follow a sport where that is possible. It was great to see the interaction between the pros. At one point Nikko and Feldberg got into some argument about an OB throw, and Cale was just laughing at it.

The GCC is a great tournament considering the course they have to work with. I think it's the largest A tier (in terms of prize money) of the year.

Wait---is there really a Fantasy Disc Golf league?! You'd rather live vicariously as a pro than actually throw.?!?
You're doing it wrong.

And there is no season in DG Oregon. We play all year long. :|

Yep. http://playfantasydiscgolf.com/ I like taking my friends money on and off the course. And it gives me something to do during my M-F 8-5ish office job. I throw whenever I possibly can including work travel. Last season I didn't as much because I was building one of the courses going to be played in this years pro Worlds. ;)

I'll be back in the NW March 8th. Looking forward to checking out McCormick. :thmbup:

sauce? it seems like speculation at best

sauce? it seems like speculation at best

Then why are there so many stories of people playing "UP TO" the level of competition or "DOWN TO" the level on the competition. It's a basic part of human nature. It takes a strong mental game to get through and even then can sometimes get us. If you've spent a good deal of time around sports and really paying attention this is something that is fairly obvious.

Then why are there so many stories of people playing "UP TO" the level of competition or "DOWN TO" the level on the competition. It's a basic part of human nature. It takes a strong mental game to get through and even then can sometimes get us. If you've spent a good deal of time around sports and really paying attention this is something that is fairly obvious.

Sure, that's true for those of us who don't play at a high level, but I don't think it's valid for these guys. I mean, do you really believe Feldberg will play better because he is playing with McBeth?

Those at the very top of the game are at the top because they are better at blocking out distractions and staying focused than those with similar natural ability. They will throw 1040 rounds whether they are playing with each other or not - that's why they win.

The only way you might consider this unfair is that some 950-rated dude who has no business playing open in an A-tier in the first place won't have the benefit of being paired with one of these top pros and potentially playing a little closer to their level of competition than they might otherwise have. Other than that, your argument is silly.

supergroups in the first round= patently unfair. those guys will be playing together the second round anyway for the most part.

it also removes a bit of the incentive for the donor pros to play which is a big deal imo when players are still playing for one another's entry fees for the most part. the top guys are going to show up anyway- if the less skilled guys keep their money and stay home then that is one more night of ramen noodles instead of cheeseburgers for the touring guys.

just cuz there is a lot of stories and speculation doesnt make it true. didnt you learn anything in high school?

what theory are you going off of if its so strong in basic human nature? im interested.

Latest posts