• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

discspeed

* Ace Member *
I already posted a bit in the Lat64 on my initial impressions of the Fuse, but it should have its own thread.

Quick rundown...I need to throw it some more, but this is the most interesting mid I've thrown in a while. It doesn't feel or fly quite like anything else out there, but at the same time seems to do exactly what a mid should. I would compare it to a Comet/Aurora/Hawk with a more modern profile thus making it much more comfortable for me in the hand than any of those. It may have the most glide I've ever seen out of a mid. It has a slow motion flight and that is what makes me think of the Comet/Hawk, but its not nearly as touchy as those. It prefers a smooth throw, but doesn't suck if powered either. It has less fade than a Buzzz, will flip a little, yet I still would not call it understable as it locks onto a line rather than continuing to turn. Shots where I did turn it too much it did not ground out (like a Comet would) rather it went a long way forward while going a long way to the right. Long story short...The Fuse is a FUN FUN FUN disc to throw...It makes you want to go to a short course and play a one disc round.

I had planned to go do exactly that, play a one disc round with it at Pyramids at Marshall Street today. The defense industry had other plans for me though...

I've got a couple holes in mind in my local area where I want to try this sucker out too. Mike, take your Gold Line one and slam it into a few tree's and report back. My impressions of the Gold Line Core were that it lost a noticeable amount of stability after I played a one disc round with it. It's not changed much since that round.

Jeronimo said:
I had planned to go do exactly that, play a one disc round with it at Pyramids at Marshall Street today. The defense industry had other plans for me though...

I've got a couple holes in mind in my local area where I want to try this sucker out too. Mike, take your Gold Line one and slam it into a few tree's and report back. My impressions of the Gold Line Core were that it lost a noticeable amount of stability after I played a one disc round with it. It's not changed much since that round.

What do you do for work?

The GL is more flippy than I want it to be out of the box...Not only that, but like I said it just doesn't float like the Opto. Its kind of like my ESP Comets (heavy, orange, flat) did not float like my Z ones did.

I have not thrown the Fuse yet, but have GL comments.

Are your GL and Opto Fuses shaped just like the other?

FWIW my GL Vision is much higher PLH and flatter than my friend's glitter Opto Vision. I've hit plenty with it since fall and have not noted any flight changes.

PS- The stack of Fuse, Wasp, Aurora, Comet, Core is just taunting me.......

RS39 said:
I have not thrown the Fuse yet, but have GL comments.

Are your GL and Opto Fuses shaped just like the other?

FWIW my GL Vision is much higher PLH and flatter than my friend's glitter Opto Vision. I've hit plenty with it since fall and have not noted any flight changes.

PS- The stack of Fuse, Wasp, Aurora, Comet, Core is just taunting me.......

The PLH on the two discs is nearly identical. If anything the Opto is slightly higher.

For shape, the GL is flatter all the way across. The Opto isn't exactly domey, just like an average Roc. It has a higher shoulder but is still fairly flat across the top 1/4 of the disc. I must say, the Fuse is the CLOSEST thing to a beadless Roc that has yet been made. The bottom of the disc is actually rounded like a big bead which feels awesome in the hand. Its as if the Buzzz, Roc, and Comet somehow spawned a child.

Does anyone have Fuses besides Marshall Street? I've been looking and coming up with nothing.

rooneytunes said:
Does anyone have Fuses besides Marshall Street? I've been looking and coming up with nothing.

I'm 99% sure I saw them at gottagogottathrow.com

A pair of 172g Fuses, 1 of each flavor, arrived in the mail yesterday and I managed to squeeze in forty minutes of throwing time last night before dark. It was a bit breezy with winds 15-20 mph which, in combination with the short time frame makes for a incomplete impression but so far so good. Discspeed sums it up well stating that the Fuse is just plain fun to throw. I had not been using a disc of this type in my regular bag (as opposed to a Super Class bag) but that short forty minutes of practice made me realize just how much I'd been missing. Anhyzer and straight to anhyzer throws were a breeze to throw compared to the GL Core I had been using for this type of shot before. On an overpowered/overangled anhyzer throw, the disc seems fairly forgiving, not immediately diving groundwards (notably more true for Opto than GL). It looks like the disc will go dead straight but I need more time with the disc and less variable/windy conditions to comment on that. On mid to low angle hyzer throws, I was seeing a tendency for the disc to go from hyzer to flat and then back to hyzer again, fading out, though there's a fair chance this could be operator error. Shame my schedule for the next coupla days is so busy as I'm itching to get out and play some more with the new toys.

Opto vs. GL: With the Fuse, I'm favoring the Opto version for much the same reasons as discspeed. The one thing that the GL Fuse did appear to do better was crosswind though I'm not certain why that would be the case. The GL Fuse appears to have a slightly lower profile (less dome) but the difference is negligible. PLH between the two is identical. As far as my other Lat 64 discs, I'm using mostly Opto. I carry a GL Striker but much of that is dictated by shape. It's not as domey as my domey Opto and not as flat as my flat Opto. I was carrying Cores in Opto and GL but will be dropping the GL Core in favor of the Opto Fuse.

One more big plus for my Opto Fuse. It's in nice, bright orange plastic and actually can be seen from a distance. Lat 64 has put out some beautiful colored discs that can be utter bastards to find as they stealth into the surrounding terrain.

Sounds interesting enough to try out...like an updated version of the comet? I might pick one up and try it, but like anything else it will have to be hands down better than what I'm currently throwing to make the bag permanently (ie better than the comet)

As big a Latitude fan-boy as I am, I hate to ever use the word "better" when comparing two awesome discs much like the Teebird and the Striker. I would never call the Striker "better" than the Teebird, just an alternative to an already existing awesome disc. This has been more of a recent change in my thinking which was initiated through my pursuit of warp speed drivers. I slowly started to realize everything over speed 11 really isn't all that different and fills essentially the same spot in my game. Sure there are some distinctions between the warp speed drivers but when you think of them in terms of your actual game, they're all the same........

So the moral of the story is, buy the Fuse. Not cause its better, cause its AWESOME!

I just got back from the course and many Fuse throws. It is like a slightly slower Buzzz with more glide and a lower cruising speed. As much as I like my 5 mold bag, the Fuse is getting a temporary spot in place of my X Buzzz (which I've yet to really develop a good relationship with). It holds annys so well that I'm already better with it than I was with my X Buzzz (which is all sort of bent now after a tree hit yesterday off the tee). Stability-wise the Fuse is very similar to the Buzzz...Only a slight turn on a hard throw and it turns slow and holds the line. Its easier to throw with touch than a Buzzz, so I also liked that part of it. With the wind it was an absolute champ, flying straight and easy with a little snap. Into the wind it was not the best, but it was still workable as the turn was slow. Definitely better than a Comet into the wind.

I predict DGR is going to go bonkers over this disc. All of you guys are going to want to throw one. I'm impressed, more so than I have been with the Core or any other mid in the last couple years. There aren't any other discs out that fly quite like it, and it is good at a lot of things. Its going to be a hit with lots of people though, because its comfortable in the hand like a Buzzz, but easier to throw.

I threw the GL one today too, but all I have to say is that I would probably like it fine if I'd never thrown the Opto Fuse, but since I have it just seems to pale in comparison. Goldline Fuse = meh, Opto Fuse = glidelicious.

discspeed said:
I just got back from the course and many Fuse throws. It is like a slightly slower Buzzz with more glide and a lower cruising speed. As much as I like my 5 mold bag, the Fuse is getting a temporary spot in place of my X Buzzz (which I've yet to really develop a good relationship with). It holds annys so well that I'm already better with it than I was with my X Buzzz (which is all sort of bent now after a tree hit yesterday off the tee). Stability-wise the Fuse is very similar to the Buzzz...Only a slight turn on a hard throw and it turns slow and holds the line. Its easier to throw with touch than a Buzzz, so I also liked that part of it. With the wind it was an absolute champ, flying straight and easy with a little snap. Into the wind it was not the best, but it was still workable as the turn was slow. Definitely better than a Comet into the wind.

I predict DGR is going to go bonkers over this disc. All of you guys are going to want to throw one. I'm impressed, more so than I have been with the Core or any other mid in the last couple years. There aren't any other discs out that fly quite like it, and it is good at a lot of things. Its going to be a hit with lots of people though, because its comfortable in the hand like a Buzzz, but easier to throw.

I threw the GL one today too, but all I have to say is that I would probably like it fine if I'd never thrown the Opto Fuse, but since I have it just seems to pale in comparison. Goldline Fuse = meh, Opto Fuse = glidelicious.
The Fuse sounds really interesting (I'm hoping to have a Latitude 64 bag to go with my Discmania bag by the end of this year. Probably not going to happen though.) but all your GL "hate" is making me fear the worst for the upcoming Westside discs in Tournament plastic (I'm guessing this'll be Goldline).

All the local disc whores are going to have a run with the Fuse I predict. Its too much fun too resist...In terms of versatility from a single disc it seems like the best to come out in a long time...or at least my favorite 8)

discspeed said:
...just doesn't float like the Opto.

Sadly, I can report that the Opto doesn't float either :cry:. Mis-judged glide (it went long) plus rain swollen stream equals bye bye to a pretty new Opto Fuse. Sigh. Guess I'm playing the GL Fuse for a while.

Dag said:
A pair of 172g Fuses, 1 of each flavor, arrived in the mail yesterday and I managed to squeeze in forty minutes of throwing time last night before dark. It was a bit breezy with winds 15-20 mph which, in combination with the short time frame makes for a incomplete impression but so far so good. Discspeed sums it up well stating that the Fuse is just plain fun to throw. I had not been using a disc of this type in my regular bag (as opposed to a Super Class bag) but that short forty minutes of practice made me realize just how much I'd been missing. Anhyzer and straight to anhyzer throws were a breeze to throw compared to the GL Core I had been using for this type of shot before. On an overpowered/overangled anhyzer throw, the disc seems fairly forgiving, not immediately diving groundwards (notably more true for Opto than GL). It looks like the disc will go dead straight but I need more time with the disc and less variable/windy conditions to comment on that. On mid to low angle hyzer throws, I was seeing a tendency for the disc to go from hyzer to flat and then back to hyzer again, fading out, though there's a fair chance this could be operator error. Shame my schedule for the next coupla days is so busy as I'm itching to get out and play some more with the new toys.

Opto vs. GL: With the Fuse, I'm favoring the Opto version for much the same reasons as discspeed. The one thing that the GL Fuse did appear to do better was crosswind though I'm not certain why that would be the case. The GL Fuse appears to have a slightly lower profile (less dome) but the difference is negligible. PLH between the two is identical. As far as my other Lat 64 discs, I'm using mostly Opto. I carry a GL Striker but much of that is dictated by shape. It's not as domey as my domey Opto and not as flat as my flat Opto. I was carrying Cores in Opto and GL but will be dropping the GL Core in favor of the Opto Fuse.

One more big plus for my Opto Fuse. It's in nice, bright orange plastic and actually can be seen from a distance. Lat 64 has put out some beautiful colored discs that can be utter bastards to find as they stealth into the surrounding terrain.

ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! I bought one. GEEZ :wink:

Your reviews are making me feel like I may have an answer to not having a beat roc in my bag.

I have been searching for a predictable understable midrange to complement a Z Buzzz or DX Roc, and the Fuse sounds intriguing. I throw midranges for shots in the 200 – 240' range, forehand and backhand, so I don't need anything super-understable. Ideally, I would like something that can be powered easily for touch shots, and also hyser-flipped for straight with minimal fade tunnel shots. I have tried 168-170 Z Comets (great for field work, but not yet predictable enough for scored rounds), a domey 166 X Buzzz (horrible), and a 166 ESP Meteor (too fine a line between hyser and runaway turnover).

FWIW, I have been using Z Buzzzes as my stable midrange, but after cleaning up my throw a bit I am starting to dig DX Rocs. Sounds like the Fuse would pair better with a Roc - based on Discspeed's review, it may be too similar to the Buzzz?

Would the Fuse be a good understable complement for the Roc / Buzzz? How does it handle a moderately clean forehand throw?

I don't know if I'm ready to really nail this thing down yet. I need to experiment with this disc. What discspeed has said thus far is more or less true. I'm hoping there's more potential here though than what I've seen thus far. More soon...

What weights are yall throwing these in? I might get one to muscle my Comet out of the stable-understable slot, I'd like something just a tad more stable than the heavy Z comets I'm use to.