• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get out of trouble shots

Ask yourself this: If I played this same situation 100 times going for it and 100 times playing safe and counted the scores for each, which would score better?

If I go for it, will I make enough pars to offset the double bogeys when I don't pull it off?

In my experience, if you're asking yourself this question the answer is usually to play it safe and get those strokes back elsewhere.

I went out the other day to our toughest course and only played the half dozen holes that give me the most trouble. I threw every shot I know on each hole multiple times trying to find the best way to minimize the chance of a big number. One of them I've decided to play for bogey from the tee.

A stroke is a stroke. Whether it is a birdie or a bogey that you didn't let become a double bogey, same value.

Yeah, there's a nasty par 5 near me. If I go for a 4 or a 5, I usually end up with an 8. If I play for the 6, I get the 6.

Ask yourself this: If I played this same situation 100 times going for it and 100 times playing safe and counted the scores for each, which would score better?

If I go for it, will I make enough pars to offset the double bogeys when I don't pull it off?

In my experience, if you're asking yourself this question the answer is usually to play it safe and get those strokes back elsewhere.

I went out the other day to our toughest course and only played the half dozen holes that give me the most trouble. I threw every shot I know on each hole multiple times trying to find the best way to minimize the chance of a big number. One of them I've decided to play for bogey from the tee.

A stroke is a stroke. Whether it is a birdie or a bogey that you didn't let become a double bogey, same value.
You gotta ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?? :D

Looks like I have a lot of practice to do. I'm really trying to learn rollers as I'm finding I need them more and more. Even when I try a simple pitch-out it sometimes ends up crappy. Been playing like crap lately so perhaps I'm just in a rut.

My biggest weapon is FH rolling a Champ Banshee. It takes a little practice but not as much as you'd think. You just have to learn how to finesse it so it lands on the edge at the angle you want aka it's really easy to throw it too hard and screw up.

I don't like throwing OH either but a tommy or thumber is something you just got to do from time to time. Learning how to pancake them is probably the best for escaping trouble. Learning how to skip them off the ground around tight turns is also very handy but hard to keep in practice.

My other big weapon is my Polecat. Having a really slow, touchy disc like most lids can really open up your options and give you something you can thread needles with, even if you have limited range of motion on your lie. Elevator shots, push shots, turbo putts and other frisbee type junk can be useful.

As far as knowing when to go hard or play safe, that's just so situation dependent like others have alluded to. I find concentrating on executing a shot is the most reliable for me and that usually means going for it. If my situation can't get any worse than I usually go for it too. Like if I'm contemplating a hard roller out of the brush, if there's a wall of trees, fence, or some sort of backstop behind the basket I'm rolling. If there's a drop off or water, I'm laying up like a wussy. Just gotta know your limits.

My biggest weapon is FH rolling a Champ Banshee. It takes a little practice but not as much as you'd think. You just have to learn how to finesse it so it lands on the edge at the angle you want aka it's really easy to throw it too hard and screw up.

I don't like throwing OH either but a tommy or thumber is something you just got to do from time to time. Learning how to pancake them is probably the best for escaping trouble. Learning how to skip them off the ground around tight turns is also very handy but hard to keep in practice.

My other big weapon is my Polecat. Having a really slow, touchy disc like most lids can really open up your options and give you something you can thread needles with, even if you have limited range of motion on your lie. Elevator shots, push shots, turbo putts and other frisbee type junk can be useful.

As far as knowing when to go hard or play safe, that's just so situation dependent like others have alluded to. I find concentrating on executing a shot is the most reliable for me and that usually means going for it. If my situation can't get any worse than I usually go for it too. Like if I'm contemplating a hard roller out of the brush, if there's a wall of trees, fence, or some sort of backstop behind the basket I'm rolling. If there's a drop off or water, I'm laying up like a wussy. Just gotta know your limits.
:thmbup: Great advice. I think I may need one or two situational discs in my bag since I've been trying to keep it simple and carry less discs. I definitely had several shots with limited range of motion during my last few rounds so this is good to know.

My best get out of dodge utility shots are usually a kneeling forehand roller (to get out of bushes, or out of extremely low ceiling trees). And the tomahawk putter pancake to pitch over some tall bushes/trees to get somewhere near the basket, and possibly even make a run at the basket.

Hell yeah I throw "flop tommys" quite often to get out of the junk, with a pretty beat RFF wizard. With a little practice it's amazing how accurate you can get with the shot

If there's a drop off or water, I'm laying up like a wussy. Just gotta know your limits.

And whatever you do, commit to the shot. If you're in two minds step away and reassess.

If you're thorwing the layup make sure you concentrate fully on the shot still, we've all had the "oh I'll just chuck it up there under the basket, it's easy" swtich off,griplock, damn, splash, moment.

Sounds more like "get into trouble shots. " :hfive:
I recently bought my first flask ever, so now I have to pretend that I like liquor.

Seriously, though. I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace since I know that's what my brother likes, and I just can't understand the appeal of drinking booze. It's hard to drink and it burns your insides. After a bit of sipping it became easier to drink, but it's not like I was enjoying the taste like beer.

I have a thick beard and hairy chest, but I guess I'm not a man :|

Anyway, just wanted to say that since I was drinking a bit of liquor earlier.

Step 1 is course management. You have to be brutally honest with yourself and knowing your ability. So as you get to the next tee, you should be sizing up the hole. Rate the hazards or lines in difficulty. Is there OB? is usually first concern, water? unpenetrable trees, shrubs? rough terrain? drop zones? etc. Then weigh the risk rewards. If I go OB is it worth it? etc. And throwing short back to the center of the fairway, is almost never a bad play. It takes that huge snowman off the scoreboard...

There is one par 3 hole on my course that just does not set up well for me, it requires a quick left to right turn/anny thru a tree opening, over an OB fence, followed by a fairly strong flex back left, all the while skirting water on the left. There is a drop zone about halfway down the fairway, about where the flex would start. As much as I've tried, this shot just does not set up well for me. I've made a few birds, some pars, but a lot more "others".

So I play for no worse than 4 as a score. I throw a mid low and flat close to the drop zone. If I throw my next shot well (usually some kind of mid on a hyzer) I will have a putt at the basket for par. If I miss it, I drop in for 4, and will hunt for birdies elsewhere.

That said, we all get in trouble and I think you need at a minimum these rescue shots: Backhand - should be able to throw both hyzers and anhyzers with a mid at all heights. Sidearm - same thing. I cant throw flicks at full strength as it hurts my elbow, but I can throw them at 50-70% power no problem. This is usually enough to get out of trouble. Roller - You should be able to throw at least some type of roller. Different stances - you need to be able to throw around obstacles, so vary your foot positions, and your body positions. Most of all, find a mid or putter that you absolutely trust to thread a narrow gap. Practice, practice, practice throwing that disc throw tight spots. Sometimes that's the only play.

For some reason, I use a relatively large number of thumber rollers (not thumb rollers) to get out of trouble.

The "patent pending" is the recovery shot I use the most with understable discs. Just the arm for touch shots and hips and arms for longer shots.

Latest posts