• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get pumped up for a tournament...you prepare...get excited. Then....

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
you just end up shooting terrible?

Haha this happen to anyone else? I've been a fairly solid player for a handful of years now but nothing was as heartbreaking as my last tournament outing. I was pumped up, excited, felt good, mentally prepared - but wasn't able to get out and play so Physically prepared? I was not.

I had decent Tee shots, left myself putts at birdie....and just failed on all of them. Even missed a few 15-20 footers when I was CTP of the group. It wasn't much else other than Wind, Un-even greens and the big one, NO COMMITMENT. I was putting more to not have a bad lie vs actually MAKING the dang putt.

It was a bit of disappointment. I even had a great drive on one of my final holes, long mild hills windy. I had about a 50 ft upshot slightly uphill with a headwind. I decided to play for the 3 and lay up. I chose a stable speed 4 disc to spin up there. Aaaaaaand, it just hits the dirt right away leaving me with a 25 footer instead of being parked, which I shoulda been.
Of course, miss the putt, just sad, take a 4 on a hole I would hope to have a bid at a 2 on.

There were positives that I can take away. I did hit some 2's, I had a few good drives a few solid putts and played overall OK. But...Anyone else just have a off tournament that doesn't feel right at all (just uncomfortable) despite knowing your skillset and being in game mode?

Where do we go from here?

I just need to play more. I did just have a baby and have only gotten a few rounds over the last 6 weeks. meh

There were positives that I can take away. I did hit some 2's, I had a few good drives a few solid putts and played overall OK.

This statement makes it sound like it ended up being a very average day for you. But because it was a tournament where you wanted to play your best, it feels a lot worse than it really is. You're dwelling too much on the negative.

There are two strategies I use to try to combat this:

First, after every round I play, I make a conscious effort to mentally replay the highlights and pick out one or two throws of the round. This helps to put me in a more positive mindset and not get too down on myself. Even my worst rounds have a highlight or two that I can think back on fondly. By doing this, you can help put the disappointing round behind you so that you're ready to go for the next tournament.

Second, I go into every tournament round expecting to make mistakes. It's very easy to think ahead about how well you can play if everything goes right. Especially on a course you know well, it's easy to play through hole-by-hole in your mind in a best case scenario. But mistakes happen, and if you go into the round expecting to have a few blunders, it's much easier to shrug them off when they happen. When you miss an easy putt, rather than getting on yourself about not putting with commitment, you can just as easily say "whoops, there's one of those mistakes. Oh well, I'll get the next one."

LOL, I am the dude, my WIFE Had the baby....I kinda have it too yunno...to take care of.

And yeah I did that, I looked at the highlights I was proud of...it helps.

I don't think I've ever missed 10-20 footers this many ever before. My last rec round was with a buddy and I was missing those 10-30 putts a lot....it was weird. Like I just didn't feel right.

I did switch putters, but it wasn't that, it was just me sucking at disc golf.

If you coulda seen, I was parked, like 12 feet....just felt like i forgot how to play the game, I lofted it too gingerly and missed high.....it was embarrassing.

Play more tournaments.

When I have a stretch where I am playing very few competitive rounds the ones that I do play seem to take on a level of importance that they don't really merit. Playing under the pressure of competition regularly helps me avoid overthinking what I am doing and just go out and play.

If i get up to a putt or if I'm standing on a tee and thinking about the mechanics of HOW to throw a disc then I'm not getting enough practice in, particularly in pressure situations.

Practice putting more. Try to develop a style that leaves you with sub 20 foot come backs, then you'll never be afraid to go for it in a tournament.

Is this your first time having a bad putting day at a tournament?

Happens a lot. Even if you're all amped up, sometimes it doesn't take much to lose confidence in your putting stroke. Shake it off, get some putting reps in after the tourney to get the putt back and keep chugging.

I've had a couple tournaments where I didn't feel like I had any idea where the disc is going...including my last one.

The only difference is now those "horrible" rounds are rated about 50 points higher than they used to be. It's all about perspective.

I have the same issues. I get the shakes and lose all of my finesse, putting and most of my commitment on my drives. It sucks. Social golf is just not my thing. It's too slow, gawwwwd is it sloooow, and I'm just too nervous to find any joy in being out there. Might be the same for you. I've had all of my lowest scoring rounds playing by myself and all of my funnest rounds with my wife, so I just stick to doing that for the most part.

Skip your first step of getting excited. Adrenaline is your enemy.

This. And with your new sleep patterns from the baby when you crash I bet you crash hard.

Watch the top guys' energy levels, it's like they're attending a wake. And not an Irish one.

Have to admit that at my age (59 and with a bad throwing wing so I mostly have to go RHBH), relative inexperience (didn't start playing until I was 57 and way past my physical prime thanks to age and a couple of health problems) and knowing my skills for not being able to drive beyond 270 - 280 feet and crappy putting, I don't think I will ever be up to tournament play. I would need a spare pair of civvies for that "mark" I would be leaving in the pair I was wearing at the start and knee braces to keep my knees from knocking together with nerves. It's bad enough for me to throw in front of other people I know or a couple of other guys on the course if playing through or whatever, but I can imagine my nerves would definitely get the best of me throwing in front of other guys on my card in a tourny. I was that way in my bowling leagues. I'd get to about 6 or 7 strikes in a row to start the game and the next time I would get up there and get ready to roll my ball I would be over-thinking my approach and release and feel that nervousness in my legs and it would be "adios perfect game". If only this sport had been around my area years ago.....(sigh)

Is this your first time having a bad putting day at a tournament?

Happens a lot. Even if you're all amped up, sometimes it doesn't take much to lose confidence in your putting stroke. Shake it off, get some putting reps in after the tourney to get the putt back and keep chugging.

It was my worst play in a tournament. I was a 953 rated player in PDGA events, only played about 4, but actually I do better usually under a little pressure. I like the competition.

But yeah, it was my WORST short range game ever in a tourney...it was sad.

The weird thing is the only thing I DID practice was my putting in the yard and it was ON....then day of tournament it went BYE BYE, but anyway.

Just needed to vent it. I know its not uncommon.

I AGREE, i think the over excitement actually kills your focus and performance. It was a 2 hr drive to the tourney as well so i was all out of it i guess, got up way too early 530am.

I cannot wait to get back on the course and get some redemption.

:hfive:

Don't worry about it. I don't remember the first time I got the case of the yips on the green in a tournament where I missed more 10 footers than I care to admit... I know I've had several more like that since that day. It's never pleasant but it doesn't happen often either. It got to the point where I know that these days happen and with a clear mind and some post-tourney putting practice you pop right back up.

To be honest, these days have become more frequent for me as of late because I just don't practice putting much anymore. Several years ago I putted for hours almost every day and there was no way I was going to miss 10 footers, even on a bad day. So what I'm saying is...If you're committed to it and you keep up with the practice (as long as it's good practice) you won't have to worry about such days for much longer :)

I've had good tournaments and bad tournaments---by my own standards---and there's not much pattern to them. I can be cruising along with my game in tune, then crash at a tournament. Then again, I've had times when I had been playing terrible for weeks, and was apprehensive about going to the tournament I'd registered for, then when I got to the tournament, shot great. No rhyme or reason.

I've also had tournaments with rounds 180 ratings points apart. I know that, as quickly as the wheels fall off, they can jump right back on. So, from that perspective, I just keep plugging along.

I'm not a master at this but I've noticed my best rounds occur when I set my expectations to zero and exhibit very little emotion (negative AND positive).

I'm not sure of this had any relevance but I've been able to beat guys in my local league but when I face them in a tourney my mental game finds the nearest toilet and proceeds to go as far into that toilet as possible. My last tourney was on Saturday on a course that had never played before and I was tied for first in the end. I hadnt gone OB all day and the playoff hole has very little OB but I managed to find it. Basically I decided that if I shot less than 25 over between the 2 rounds I was fine. I ended up shooting a +13 which was fine with me especially as my only birdie in the second round was on the trickiest hole on the course, hole 16 at Hyzer Creek, the one that has the basket in the creek. I ended up with a Verdict for my efforts.

Latest posts