• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting a new course

Dr_Johnson

For about half of my time I live in the disc golf wasteland of Northwestern PA. The nearest course is about a 30 minute drive and isn't really very good. I was wondering what process for getting a course into an area would be. Who should I contact? What can be done to push the development of a course? A couple new 9 hole courses popped up in the last 2 weeks (each about 40 minutes away), so there is apparently interest, but I'm not sure where to start in getting a good course in the area.

talk to your local parks and recs ppl... Do you have any disc golf clubs near you? It helps immensely if you have a group of ppl active and supporting the drive to add a course on public land...

Someone with way more experience than me should answer this one... and there are a lot of folks here who have done it successfully.

my real answer to this? Buy 20+ acres of land and make your own :)

Thanks! I'm awaiting a response from local P & R. The local DG Club isn't very active as far as I can tell. I'm also going to touch base with the outdoor rec department at the university where I work once the semester starts. I hadn't thought about that before for some reason.

Thanks! I'm awaiting a response from local P & R. The local DG Club isn't very active as far as I can tell. I'm also going to touch base with the outdoor rec department at the university where I work once the semester starts. I hadn't thought about that before for some reason.

Also try state parks if you have any close by, we don't have any yet in ND but I'm going to make a push to try to get one in soon.

I just finished putting in a course at a Township Park this summer.
I went to the Township Supervisor early last summer about putting in a course. (I had walked several potential properties for many hours and viewed the properties via Google Earth before deciding on the best location before contacting anyone)
The Twp Supervisor was fairly interested, but said upfront that there was no money available.
I was about to get commitments from several local businesses to sponsor baskets and we quickly had 9 sold so the Supervisor gave me the go ahead to begin.
I did most of the work myself with a few high school age helpers. My play was to finish 9 holes this spring which I did. The Township gave the OK for another 9 which I worked on all this summer and recently opened.
Good luck!
https://sites.google.com/site/calumetlakediscgolf/

Got one!

I never got to talk to anyone from the local parks and rec, but I did talk to the outdoor rec folks at the university where I work. Since worlds was at Slippery Rock University (a rival school not too far away) I made the argument that we should be keeping up. Looks like a nine hole course is going in this fall and if there is local interest, 9 more next year.

May I ask what school you work for? Has there been any forward progress since last September? If you're up north, you should reach out to Trevor Murphy. He is the course designer for Buhl Park, The Pines, and The Springs. Great guy with a passion to help grow the sport as much as possible. His insight may help you get your school to agree to install a course.

I saw that PSU Behrend put in a 9 hole semi-recently. Edinboro also has one, I believe.

Good to see some positive progress in the North!

Where in NW PA are you? I head up the efforts here in Erie, PA. I don't have an email from you (even to last year when you were posting these), and my brother-in-law and I have done a bit of work in the past year.

I never got to talk to anyone from the local parks and rec, but I did talk to the outdoor rec folks at the university where I work. Since worlds was at Slippery Rock University (a rival school not too far away) I made the argument that we should be keeping up. Looks like a nine hole course is going in this fall and if there is local interest, 9 more next year.

I haven't seen Edinboro's. PSU Behrend took my BIL's design and mine and kind of mashed things up. A few holes are as we made them, a few are not. It's not bad, though the walking is a bit odd, particularly from 3 to 4, and 9 is an oddity too.

If you're talking about Erie, get in touch with us at http://eriediscgolf.com/.