• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting bagged

Haven't seen a legitimate case of bagging proven in this thread yet. Nonetheless, all the whining here just bolsters the case for trophy only bottom divisions. If you get bagged then, its merely for bragging rights.

What kind of bragging rights do you garner from winning rec?

What kind of bragging rights do you garner from winning rec?
I said lowest division, not necessarily rec.

I played in a trophy only division Saturday simply called "Amateur" that was essentially everything Intermediate and below. Everyone got a super nice players pack for a $30 entry. Everyone in that division got to go home after finishing if they wanted because aside from some CTP's there were no awards to hand out or prize merch to plow through. Furthermore, no one had to make any smart comments about "so and so" should move up because if "so and so" stayed down in that division, there was nothing to gain from it.

As it was 22 of us took the bait, better than 1/3 of the field, and I ended up playing with many of the same guys I would have played against had there been prizes on the line. I suppose that qualifies as bragging rights.

3qhz4k.jpg

Wait.. So this "johnny" says he can throw 475 feet but he only threw 275 feet in the distance competition??? Ummm yea...

Re-read the the 2nd paragraph in my OP.

The farthest I have ever thrown on flat ground was probably around 475 ft. It's not like I consistently throw a disc 475 ft. Most of the courses where I'm from doesn't require a super long arm. I'm saying that one time, on flat ground, I had a great throw that probably went around 475 ft. Not only that, I was playing some pretty good disc golf at that time. Part of the reason why we played Intermediate was mostly due to our 'recent' previous performances.

During that distance competition I threw a 136g Champ Blizzard Ape. We were throwing slightly uphill into a headwind. I should have thrown my Star Destroyer, but like I said earlier, I was hammered :doh:.

Johnny

There will always be somebody calling somebody a bagger at a tournament. I won advanced at back to the City Cup with a total of a 1 under (941 rated 1st round, 943 rated second round, 963 rated third round). I was called a bagger. People are going to hate no matter what.

There will always be somebody calling somebody a bagger at a tournament. I won advanced at back to the City Cup with a total of a 1 under (941 rated 1st round, 943 rated second round, 963 rated third round). I was called a bagger. People are going to hate no matter what.

A 949 average for the tournament, hardly bagging in the Advanced division.

This is what happens when you get too many people playing above their ratings (dream baggers is what I call them): when they get somebody who's SUPPOSED to be playing the division they're in the dream baggers get all butthurt.

I suppose this also starts to ask the question of who plays division by ratings? I know in my area people typically play in higher divisions than their ratings suggest. That being said if a guy plays by his rating he is playing against players who have stepped up into a division they do not belong. Who is in the wrong in that case?

I suppose this also starts to ask the question of who plays division by ratings? I know in my area people typically play in higher divisions than their ratings suggest. That being said if a guy plays by his rating he is playing against players who have stepped up into a division they do not belong. Who is in the wrong in that case?

Nobody's wrong, per se. The lower rated players have no basis for being butthurt if they play up into a higher division, IMHO.

What ejvogie said.

Around here, people tend to play in their proper divisions. Years back we had the situation you describe, where the bulk of players "played up", but that has diminished greatly.

What ejvogie said.

Around here, people tend to play in their proper divisions. Years back we had the situation you describe, where the bulk of players "played up", but that has diminished greatly.

David...in our area its mostly guys that have been playing for several years that are too young for advanced masters and not quite good enough to have ratings in the intermediate division. Since they began playing tourmament in INT they stay even though the PDGA has added a rec division, which they qualify for.

I don't know about "everywhere"....everytime I look into bagging claims around here, they're easily debunked. (See also the subject player's response to the original post).

One great tournament does not a bagger make. Chris Ridgeway isn't a PDGA member so I can't research myself; does he regularly shoot so well in tournaments?

He has played in every division at Scarboro. He is about being funny and he thought playing in rec would be funny.
Side note. He is usually pretty hilarious. :)

Last edited: