• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting Left

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
When you need your disc to get left on a hyzer (rhbh), in what situations do you throw an overstable disc over understable? What situations do you use a fast disc over a slow disc? (And vice versa)

How far do you need it to go forward, and then how far do you need it to go left, and how much height do you have to work with, and how accurate do you need to be, and how windy is it, and what day of the week is it?

overstable discs have a more defined and predictable path. Understable discs can be manipulated more but require more touch. For example, Hole #8 at Hobson Grove is an extreme right to left shot. An overstable disc on a hyzer will almost always dump out before reaching the circle. However, if a straight to understable disc is thrown on a hyzer, it can ride the hyzer long enough to make it to the basket. It just requires a more precise shot in terms of angle, spin, and power

Generally the main question is how far left do I need to carry. A more understable disc is generally going to get farther left, provided that the angle of the fairway dogleg isn't too sharp. But there are a million factors. How much height to work with, wind, how straight do I need to go before I get left, blah blah blah.

The same convo came up with a tournement group I was in this weekend. The other two guys both dumped early and missed the island with overstable discs, and I was 25 feet past the pin easily in bounds with a flippier disc. I kind of blew their minds, a lot of people don't understand the merits of the understable hyzer.

Generally the main question is how far left do I need to carry. A more understable disc is generally going to get farther left, provided that the angle of the fairway dogleg isn't too sharp. But there are a million factors. How much height to work with, wind, how straight do I need to go before I get left, blah blah blah.

The same convo came up with a tournement group I was in this weekend. The other two guys both dumped early and missed the island with overstable discs, and I was 25 feet past the pin easily in bounds with a flippier disc. I kind of blew their minds, a lot of people don't understand the merits of the understable hyzer.

I agree... and I LOVE throwing a gator for a left breaking dump shot because it has lots of room for error. But there's a number of shots that I have to put an understable disc on a hyzer to get left break and forward penetration.

Generally the main question is how far left do I need to carry. A more understable disc is generally going to get farther left.

Right. So are there instances where you think an overstable disc is going to get further left than an understable disc?

For one, I'm thinking that a low ceiling shot might lend itself to an overstable disc due to skip. But I'm not sure that the flight isn't going to be better for getting left also.

How far do you need it to go forward, and then how far do you need it to go left, and how much height do you have to work with, and how accurate do you need to be, and how windy is it, and what day of the week is it?

I asked you first :)

I agree... and I LOVE throwing a gator for a left breaking dump shot because it has lots of room for error. But there's a number of shots that I have to put an understable disc on a hyzer to get left break and forward penetration.

There are times that you'd use an understable disc to get left regardless of forward penetration, though, right?

I feel like wind is an important factor in this conversation that can maybe suggest some answers for Dan's questions. For example I would choose a more overstable disc to get further left than a more understable one into a stiff enough headwind. You also might choose an understable disc to go left regardless of forward penetration if you have a strong enough tailwind that would threated to ground a more ovestable disc early, especially if there are low obstacles that you want to get over.

I have an old, somewhat beat up Star XCal that is great for going left. It's still overstable enough that it will fade reliably left on a RHBH shot, but beat up enough that I can put it on a RHFH anny and it will turn left and level out nicely.

I use a Latitude 64 Bolt for most left shots and hyzer spikes, but mostly when I want a straight shot with more fade. I recently tried a Nuke for this, but it hooks left too soon for me (but great for hyzer spikes). The only difference between my MVP Wave, which is my understable driver of choice, and the more overstable Bolt is that bigger fade the Bolt has. They both fly very similarly. If I want to finish left but don't think I can get it as far as I need to before the fade, I'll just throw the Wave and settle for less fade.

So forward penetration needed is the deciding factor in my case.

Last edited:
The way I like to work a low ceiling shot that needs to sweep left pretty far is sometimes the stable (not OS) mid.

I love throwing this shot with the Axis. It's crazy how it holds the hyzer and keeps turning left while staying aloft.

All this applies to the opposite direction, correct? For a long anhyzer (left to right shot) sometimes a more stable disc is better than an understable because the stability will 'fight' and hold it in the air longer?

Very true. And likely it happened because of something I say often but also that gets dismissed often. People don't really understand what stability (during flight) really is.

All this applies to the opposite direction, correct? For a long anhyzer (left to right shot) sometimes a more stable disc is better than an understable because the stability will 'fight' and hold it in the air longer?

Absolutely not. Understable and overstable are NOT opposites, nor are they two of three different levels of stability ("stable"). Any time the flight needs to go a long way left in the air or a long way right in the air, understable is likely your best option. Of course I need to see the situation, but in general.

When you need your disc to get left on a hyzer (rhbh), in what situations do you throw an overstable disc over understable? What situations do you use a fast disc over a slow disc? (And vice versa)

I've never been fond of beefy discs, and carried them only for rare shots in strong winds or short yardage, tight turns. These days, I don't carry even one beefy disc, though I'm considering picking up a beefy mid for special situations.

So I'm going to throw a stable or understable disc on most every hook or fade line I encounter. The variables, as others have said, include wind and clearance.

As for speed, I throw whatever is likely to get me there, so if the distance only requires a mid, I throw a mid. I might disc up a step and take some juice off the throw if I want to make certain the disc dumps hard at the end.

Latest posts