• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting married...and she says I have too much plastic! Advice?

I would say dont get married. I played the local Mini before my wedding, she still hates how much I play.

I think most of the advice here has been pretty solid

Heres my advice:

When a girl tries to run your life it's time to run for your life

I would have a serious talk with her by a flight of stairs...when ur done talkin....PUSH.
Jk
If she was good enough to marry and invest money into her collection, then i suppose selling a few discs shouldnt be a problem.

Seriously guy, ur gettin married, theres no disc golf in HELL!

It's been a little disappointing reading so many short-sighted comments in this thread, even if they were tongue-in-cheek. The OP said his future Mrs. supports him playing, which is really the end game here. If the relationship is strong, it will withstand this. But a tit-for-tat, if-she-has- this then-he-gets-this argument is never going to end well.

Good luck with your marriage, and follow what your heart tells you to do. It's what got you there in the first place.

my recommedation is too not marry her, if she is starting with this crap now you are just asking for misery down the road, if she wont compromise on the stuff she has that is important to her than why should you? The fact you arent working shouldnt impact that unless you are still out spending a ton o cash on new plastic. That plastic wont betray you and will still be your friend in 5 years, unlike her...

It's been a little disappointing reading so many short-sighted comments in this thread, even if they were tongue-in-cheek. The OP said his future Mrs. supports him playing, which is really the end game here. If the relationship is strong, it will withstand this. But a tit-for-tat, if-she-has- this then-he-gets-this argument is never going to end well.

Good luck with your marriage, and follow what your heart tells you to do. It's what got you there in the first place.

Mine supported me playing, until after we got married. Now all I hear is crap about I spend to much time golfing. I golf less now than before we got married.

envisioning an angry wife burning your plastic or giving it away.....may I suggest Storage Unit near the course perhaps?

If she does have a problem hoarding expensive stuff and does not offer to sell hers off also,(tit for tat) then she could be a person that only thinks of themselves. Don't know, just sayin.

envisioning an angry wife burning your plastic or giving it away.....may I suggest Storage Unit near the course perhaps?

That's what I was thinking, hide it and your mag collection from her grubby little hands. You will have to pay 6 months to a 1yr at a time so no storage shed bill will alert her.

Perhaps some more education on the OP's part can help the fiancee see the investment and value in the plastic. But telling him not to get married just seems a little rash.

Without wanting to give marital advice to a couple I've never met, I would consider it a real risk that, if you don't agree to sell some of your discs, she make take matters into her own hands and randomly pick a bunch of your discs to sell herself. I'd also tend to imagine there's more to this than the simple expense of the discs. If you've got them lying around the house, or hanging on the walls, or cluttering some room, you could probably do a lot of good by boxing them up and putting them in a forgotten corner of the basement. It's possible that she simply doesn't want to see those discs in her "nest." It's also possible that she is afraid that your love of disc golf will compete with your love for her. But her fiance would know this better than anybody else would. ;)

OK- I have been married for 15 years, and do marriage counseling as part of my job.

It can go a long way if one time you will put her before your disc golf. I am not saying sell...you two need to work that out together. It would go a long way to plan on going to a tournament, only to back out at the last minute to spend time with her.
My wife not only supports my DG habit, she buys me discs, and encourages me to go play more.

17 years of marriage has taught me its all about compromise. I used to drink a ton while I played, Now I just play a ton and dont drink.

That and I hide about half my discs at my shop. Aint love grand, Good luck OP.

if she met u when u were buyin plastic,what difference is it now?. i love my wife because she actually has no prob witth my several hundred discs layin around. she met me when i was collecting so she has no prob with it(exact words from her). either way,there has to be give somewhere and if shes sayin u can buy wat u want when u have a ft job ...just cut down for now. i dont see u askin her to sell some of her jewelry or shoes.

show her some of our collections and tell her she better recognize! 150 discs aint much.

im with agapedad, my girl encourages me to play and thinks i hve a good collection
it helps too that shes into sports,collects other things besides shoes

Last edited:
Like agapedad and yrnmbrsup said, it is all about compromise. The most challenging part of any relationship is being able to put your pride aside for the sake of the greater good. Is there a real problem with your collecting? No. Does it make it an issue at home? Sounds like it. Is the relationship more important than your collection? Only you can decide that. And even if you know you are right, and you know you shouldn't have to back down, it sometimes takes a bigger man to suck it up and swallow his pride for the sake of the relationship.

Just my 2 cents, but I have had some issues with the perception that DG is taking time away from being at home, and sometimes you just have to think about what is really important.

Make her sign a prenup so she won't get any of your tasty discs!

i've been married for 20 years and i'll repeat what has already been said, compromise is the key to a successful marriage. that and making her feel she's the most important part of your life. if she feels a threat from disc golf or that you'd rather go play disc golf than spend time with her (which in reality who wouldn't want to go play disc golf) she's gonna give you grief.

i don't collect plastic and only buy what i throw, so for me the choice is easy. just do what you want to do and not what a bunch of single, never get laid, knuckleheads on a disc golf forum say you should do.

Wow, this is getting out of control! I wasn't looking for relationship advice, so much as which plastic I should sell...I'm liking the storage unit idea though!

Latest posts