• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting New Mid-ranges and Putters

xpsycotikx

Bogey Member
In a short time here im planning on picking up a few new mid-range discs and probably a couple putters (multipurpose ones if possible)

Im I RHFH driver with a decent RHBH drive, and all my approach are backhand unless i need the hook of a forehand shot.

My bag is
175-Star Orc Primary driver
167-Champion Orc Spare driver
175-Star Shark Primary approach
170-Dx Gator Eh? Idk.
150-Dx Aviar Anny approach
175-Dx Birdie Primary putter

Im looking at picking up a 170+ buzz and another midrange (not sure of yet)

And a pair of soft banger gt.. Maybe

Im open to any and all suggestions, if u need more info just yell! xD

My favorite mids (besides my Core which would be similar to the Buzz you want) would be the Rhyno (overstable) and the Dart (stable, maybe a little understable). I use the Rhyno alot on windy days for approaches or even a strong headwind putter. My Dart is mostly for no wind days or tailwind approach shots.

I have a soft banger gt on the way also, but I currently use a soft focus and love it! I have a buzzz, it's a good disc, but I go back and forth with that and my roc.

Yea.. buzz seems the way to go.. a few days ago i borrowed a buzz from a friend and some of my best approach shots ever. And i cant believe i forgot about the dart. I had one last season and loved it. Would u suggest a star one or stick with the pro?

Core is a good alternative to the Buzzz. Similar discs, but some people like one over the other. If that's your go to mid then buy something more stable to compliment it. A Z Wasp is currently working for me. I also have a Warrior and that is cool too. I know some people like Gators, Drones, Cro's and the Sinus.

Putters are like condoms. Very personal. To each his own. It's all feel and texture.

Get that buzz in Z or ESP platic then you might not need anymore midrange disc. If you need something really understabe then pick up a stingray too. Lots of people like the soft banger gt, including me.

if you like the feel and size of the buzzz, stick with that
i personally think the buzzz is the most comfortable rim to hold onto,
if you want over stable, take a wasp, same disc with a bead
if you want under stable, get a meteor, same size, rim is not convex like the buzzz (not sure if i used the correct term there)

i carry all of em, great shot coverage all from very similar discs

Thanks for all the advice! :D Heres what i'm thinking, Im gunna pick up a buzz (not sure on plastic) and then a soft banger gt and a focus? How is the ion for putting?

along the lines of my last post....

the magnet and the DGA titanic are also very similar in feel to the buzz/meteor rims

i think that would make a wiser choice to bridge the gap of approach and mid range drives, going to a focus/banger or ion, you'll have yet one more unique grip to learn

Just so I make sure im understanding ur saying that i should pretty much use the buzz as a straight driver/long approach and use banger/focus/ion for anything under that range?

Im fine learning another grip, what would u use with them as a drive? Like the one/two finger fan grip?

What I've learned from Pro's

They are Pro's and make money playing this sport, I am trying to emulate their bag/throwing styles whenever possible. Most top players are throwing Innova. Nathan Doss, Michael Johansen, Nikko and a few others are exceptions.

But, the most consistently successful players on tour have been sponsored by Innova: Ken Climo comes to mind along with Val, Avery, Des, Dave, Barry, et al.

MidRange: Learn to throw a Roc. They will do what your arm tells it to do. I hated them originally, but realized only recently, it was my own technique issues. Now I throw San Marino or Ching stamped Rocs within < 10 ft of the basket for every upshot and can Par just about any technically difficult hole using only my Roc.

The only other thing you might need is a Star Stingray for dead on straight shots. I also use a beat Cobra for Anny's.

Putter: KC Pro Aviars. I was never a believer, but after a difficult round at a windy Coastal Plains Open and inconsistent putts at other event, I keep coming back to it. I use 170 g, but most guys I know use max weight.

My bag is
175-Star Orc Primary driver
167-Champion Orc Spare driver
175-Star Shark Primary approach

Keep those ^. Add a Z Stalker (like a long Buzzz) b/c everyone needs a fairway driver.

Add a heavy DX Roc, it would be a better compliment to your Shark, cheaper than a Z or ESP Buzzz, and Buzzz shots can be covered with Stalker.

Maybe add a beat DX Roc/Comet/Skeeter/Meteor for annys and turnovers if you can't pull those lines out of your Shark or putter.

Putters are personal indeed. An Ion would be great though b/c it's a great approach disc. If it doesn't feel right for putting you can always experiment with many heralded putters out there (Wizards, Voodoos, Magics, Aviars, Focus, Challengers, Magnets, the Vibram discs, etc.)

I don't think Soft Bangers are that great for putting and not that versatile IMO, severe drop rates. ESP Bangers are great for driving though. But it's a personal thing so you'll have to experiment.

i love discraft mids. def go buzzz. understable buzzz ss. stable wasp. overstable drone. soft pro rhynos are great as well. once they break in they will hold any line beautifully.

I still think you gotta go with the basics: Aviar Putter and Roc Midrange. These discs cover everything you need form 200 ft in and since that is where rounds are won or lost....don't overcomplicate your bag. Know what a disc is going to do when it's your turn.

There are so many putters out there, but how many have world champs actually used????

Yea. Fairway driver is on my list of things to get. I just know having good approach and putting is alot better than having a good drive.

IMO i prefer the buzz pretty much over any other mid i have thrown but im definataly going to look into getting a stalker, i havent throw one since last season and i have gotten alot better since then so maybe it will be a nice option in my bag.

To the roc which by clear statement are liked, lol i should shoot for a 180? I have a friend that i can get a 180 dx from for 5 bucks so even if it ends up me not liking it at least it was only 5 bucks and not 15 :D

And maybe ill scratch getting a banger and just get the ion, a focus and like a wizard or voodoo?

I really could care less how many world champs have used what discs, i know that proves the ability for drivers and midrange, but if i can take a polecat or a birdie and drain a 60ft putt, whats it make a difference? Currently im just trying to find "MY" putter so thats why im looking to get a variety. And i do have an aviar, its a 150 tho and with wind the thing is gone, i am not completely fond of how an aviar feels in my hand. So i think this is my list Buzz, Roc, Ion, Focus and a voodoo or wizard, and a stalker.

Discraft Zone. Amazing for putting, approaching, and driving. Great in the wind (which it seems to have been windy a lot lately here). Feels pretty similar to a Buzzz when it's in my hand.

overstable
Challenger, Wizard, Big Bead Aviar, Focus, Rhyno, Banger-GT (?)

Stable
Voodoo, Magnet, Aviar, Ion, Omega SS, Warlock

stable to understable
Magic, APX (Reef), Juju, uhm that's all I can think of.

If you get a Wizard, there's really no point in getting a Focus or anything else in that similar category. Wizards and Focus feel very similar, voodoos and Ions feel really similar. I putt with a Magic b/c I straddle putt and I go right at the basket. If you like to fade into the basket, the overstable putters will suit you better, it's whatever suits your style and your hands.

This chart should assist you greatly.