• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting vinyl on smooth

I just did my 2nd dye, my 1st one doing all the steps. I was wondering the best way to get vinyl on so it's completely smooth on the disc? I ended up with some wrinkles on mine. It's tough to get on the disc really good and smooth. I cut mine out while it's on the disc if that makes any difference.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=vi...squegee&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

These work so amazing. I've used credit cards, but they don't seem to have enough umph to get out all the wrinkles. Also when you place the disc on the vinyl or contact paper just place the center of the disc on then gently work your way from the center of the disc to the outside in an easy scrapping motion. Should cut down on your wrinkles dramatically.

I put the vinyl face up on a table and lay the disc on top. I push from the inside to the outside on the inner flight plate. Then I roll the edge of the disc to stick to the outer vinyl. After that it's all credit card and lifting out wrinkles.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=vi...squegee&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

These work so amazing. I've used credit cards, but they don't seem to have enough umph to get out all the wrinkles. Also when you place the disc on the vinyl or contact paper just place the center of the disc on then gently work your way from the center of the disc to the outside in an easy scrapping motion. Should cut down on your wrinkles dramatically.

Those are what I used when I used to work at a vinyl cutter in NY. I wish I would have known about DG back then.

I take the vinyl, peel off the backing, then fold it gently in half with the sticky side out.
I center it on the disc, press down gently, then work it onto the flight plate starting in the center, then working the vinyl out towards the edges.
You can also pull some of the creases over the edge of the rim if you cut a large enough piece of vinyl, it usually stretches a bit.

flat discs are a LOT easier to get a good seal on. zenny knows whats up and is giving some good advice (for once...silly rhino lover...:p).

I put the vinyl face up on a table and lay the disc on top. I push from the inside to the outside on the inner flight plate. Then I roll the edge of the disc to stick to the outer vinyl. After that it's all credit card and lifting out wrinkles.

Same for translucent discs, and I just the vinyl on my lightbox.

For opaque discs, I take off the vinyl backing, put a pin through the middle of it, fold it like a taco - sticky side out, put the pin on the center of the discs, and smoothly lower the vinyl down - sticking one taco side, then the other. Also works wonders for alignment.

pick up some vinyl application tool though - credit cards break down rather quickly with friction apparently.

I new to all this. I've only had one failure during application due to the vinyl not laying down flat. I lay the vinyl down sticky side up, then with small pieces of tape, I tape the sides down so that it its laying flat and somewhat taut. Then apply the disc.

I do the same for opaque discs. I cut the vinyl to a 10" circle and eyeball it when laying it down. Haven't missed yet. ;)

I also apply the disc to the vinyl and not the vinyl to the disc. I find it easier to line up and far less chance for air bubbles and big wrinkles to form. Before I even start cutting the vinyl I make sure to center the disk on the vinyl and trace the outline of the disc onto the vinyl. This helps to make sure your stencil is lined up properly and makes lining up the disc when sticking it to the vinyl much easier. I always apply the disc to vinyl while its on the light box as well to see my traced line easier.

Like mentioned before once the disc is applied to the sticky side of vinyl start from the center of the disc and press towards the outside of disc. To make this easy start at 12 o'clock and work your way around the disc till you get back to 12 o'clock. then comes time for the credit card to smooth out any residual bubbles or wrinkles.