• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting Worse over the Summer

TwoChain

Bogey Member
The past 3 years or so I have been discing year round in the winter. I'd say that's about how long I have taken it "serious".

Every year I seem to get better, even more so in the off season. I still make mistakes but they are "better" mistakes like I hit a far away tree vs the one right by the tee pad.

However just this week (mid summer) I went back to the "old me" and hit the first tree right off the tee pad again like I forgot how to play!!! It drives me nuts because I play so much and try to work on it each day.

A big goal for me this year has been to improve my side arm. And I have been able to out drive even my side arm only friends with straight ~350 bombs with my champ boss. My home course I have been able to crush hole 2 (one of the hardest holes) and 3 which are right hand shots then towards the end like hole 15 / 16 I do the same exact thing. On 15 I throw low with too much anhyzer and it rolls then on 16 I let go early and high and it is in the trees. It's like a re-run I can't prevent ....

It's like there is a really good player inside me but he goes back to his old ways and falls into the same mistakes!!

I want to fix this, here are some areas to think about:

* In the summer I play almost everyday (and get pissed when I don't lol), maybe I am just playing too much? It's hard not to utilize the sunny days in the mid-west and / or bail on my friends. Also I play leagues twice a week ...

* I play for tags a lot more in the summer vs winter, so we always keep score. I had a -4 round not keeping score then +1 keeping score.

* I don't do hardly enough field work in the summer, I go a lot more often in the off season.

* This is probably the most critical, it kind of goes off the keeping score issue ... I seem to play down to the worst player on the card. If I play my friend who is under par I will still lose to him but I will be under par. If I play my friend who is like +9 I will shoot +6. Another mental thing I need to get past, not playing down to my competition.

* Last but not least. Substance usages. I have shot a -4 with beer / herb while drinking and smoking while I play. Both kind of help me to relax and have had good rounds but sometimes I just get too lazy. Lots of my friends do one or the other ... I drive better on beer but put worse? I have tried quitting and there seems to be a "really bad" play period and I didn't have patients to see if it got better after a few weeks.

Anyway, I just want to be solid. My "player two" will come out on a mully drive and park it, I want player 1 to be there! I think it's mostly mental. I try to do yoga several times a week and do tone lifting. Some of my friends play just as much as me and don't have this mental struggle! I played sports growing up but never shined. I can shine at disc golf but it just seems like I am not letting myself? I know that's cheesey lol.

Looking for any tips that might help me stay solid and not go back to the day one mistakes.

Take a break for about a week and do something to occupy your time besides disc golf. Your game will probably recalibrate itself

The past 3 years or so I have been discing year round in the winter. I'd say that's about how long I have taken it "serious".

Every year I seem to get better, even more so in the off season. I still make mistakes but they are "better" mistakes like I hit a far away tree vs the one right by the tee pad.

However just this week (mid summer) I went back to the "old me" and hit the first tree right off the tee pad again like I forgot how to play!!! It drives me nuts because I play so much and try to work on it each day.

A big goal for me this year has been to improve my side arm. And I have been able to out drive even my side arm only friends with straight ~350 bombs with my champ boss. My home course I have been able to crush hole 2 (one of the hardest holes) and 3 which are right hand shots then towards the end like hole 15 / 16 I do the same exact thing. On 15 I throw low with too much anhyzer and it rolls then on 16 I let go early and high and it is in the trees. It's like a re-run I can't prevent ....

It's like there is a really good player inside me but he goes back to his old ways and falls into the same mistakes!!

I want to fix this, here are some areas to think about:

* In the summer I play almost everyday (and get pissed when I don't lol), maybe I am just playing too much? It's hard not to utilize the sunny days in the mid-west and / or bail on my friends. Also I play leagues twice a week ...

* I play for tags a lot more in the summer vs winter, so we always keep score. I had a -4 round not keeping score then +1 keeping score.

* I don't do hardly enough field work in the summer, I go a lot more often in the off season.

* This is probably the most critical, it kind of goes off the keeping score issue ... I seem to play down to the worst player on the card. If I play my friend who is under par I will still lose to him but I will be under par. If I play my friend who is like +9 I will shoot +6. Another mental thing I need to get past, not playing down to my competition.

* Last but not least. Substance usages. I have shot a -4 with beer / herb while drinking and smoking while I play. Both kind of help me to relax and have had good rounds but sometimes I just get too lazy. Lots of my friends do one or the other ... I drive better on beer but put worse? I have tried quitting and there seems to be a "really bad" play period and I didn't have patients to see if it got better after a few weeks.

Anyway, I just want to be solid. My "player two" will come out on a mully drive and park it, I want player 1 to be there! I think it's mostly mental. I try to do yoga several times a week and do tone lifting. Some of my friends play just as much as me and don't have this mental struggle! I played sports growing up but never shined. I can shine at disc golf but it just seems like I am not letting myself? I know that's cheesey lol.

Looking for any tips that might help me stay solid and not go back to the day one mistakes.

Have you read Covey's 7 habits of highly effective people? One of the habits is "Sharpen the saw."

If you are always competing, it is going to wear you down. Play some fun rounds, go out to a field and throw at trees, go to a course you usually never play at, just do something different.

Listen to Sidewinder.

I had the same problems you have. This is my second full season playing seriously. I had been playing substantially worse than the end of my first season. I throw farther, can hit better lines, have the potential to birdie most holes. But, I was just insanely inconsistent. I could not get through a round without having a few disaster holes that ruined an otherwise competitive score. I have never been a self help book kind of guy. But, after seeing it said so many times on this forum I broke down and got the audio version of Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. It's like 80 min long and I can't describe how much it helped. Within a week of finishing it and working it into my game, I was regularly shooting under on courses I had never parred before. I'm getting invited to cash rounds with the local hot shots (still losing bad but happy to pay to play and learn at that level). I was so grateful I wrote the author a thank you note. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

Listen to Sidewinder.

I had the same problems you have. This is my second full season playing seriously. I had been playing substantially worse than the end of my first season. I throw farther, can hit better lines, have the potential to birdie most holes. But, I was just insanely inconsistent. I could not get through a round without having a few disaster holes that ruined an otherwise competitive score. I have never been a self help book kind of guy. But, after seeing it said so many times on this forum I broke down and got the audio version of Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. It's like 80 min long and I can't describe how much it helped. Within a week of finishing it and working it into my game, I was regularly shooting under on courses I had never parred before. I'm getting invited to cash rounds with the local hot shots (still losing bad but happy to pay to play and learn at that level). I was so grateful I wrote the author a thank you note. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

I'll for sure check out this book! Thanks everyone so far for the tips.

Listen to Sidewinder.

I will third reading this book. Its not painful to read or listen to. Rotella has a way of storytelling through his lessons that I found extremely entertaining as well as extremely helpful.

Switch it up, play for fun instead of competitively for awhile. Leave your comfort zone try a new driver or mid range for awhile then swap back. One of the biggest things that's helped me get out of my disc funks is growing the sport. Teach somebody new how to play, seems going over some of the basics with somebody new sharpens them in my brain too.

If you are always competing, it is going to wear you down. Play some fun rounds, go out to a field and throw at trees, go to a course you usually never play at, just do something different.

^THIS.

Or just take a short break and let the body recover. I always feel fine until I take a couple of weeks off and then all the little nagging minor injuries start healing and I realize I was nowhere near 100% from a physical, let alone mental, standpoint.

If you play everyday you are changing the stability of your discs relatively fast. I've had the problem before where my disc breaks in, but i still want to throw the same line/angle which probably isn't possible anymore. Btw I mainly only use champ to avoid this as much as possible. Sometimes all you need to get out of the funk is a fresh destroyer and/or firebird. The broken in ones are good too, but not for some shots you may be use to throwing a certain way. Might not be an issue of yours, but just a thought.

If you play so much, maths (statistics) dictate that you will have big fluctuations in your performance. Maybe it's just a bad week.

or
Take a break. Dont try so hard. Dont compete so much. More fieldwork, less rounds.