• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Giving Advice

ballgolfconvert

Eagle Member
In reviewing the PDGA rules, i see nothing on giving another player advice during a round. In Ball golf you are specifically forbidden to give any kind of instruction or to discuss what club one is using on a particular hole. this rule exists to make sure that no player gains an unfair advantage during a round.

Why does disc golf not have such a rule? i think players gain an advantage over other players when given instruction or what disc a competitor threw on a certain hole. On the other hand such type of advice could also be given to hurt a competitors game.

Why does disc golf have no rules on this type of activity?

You'd take advice *during* competition from someone you're directly competing against?

Yikes.

You'd take advice *during* competition from someone you're directly competing against?

Yikes.

With the advent of flex tournaments...I may not even be competing with the people on my card. They're likely to be good friends of mine that even if we were in the same division I would want to see do well.

That might just be advice to a beginning player in Rec about how wind impacts disc flight...it might be specific course advice to someone who hasn't played the course before "the sign says 310, it's more like 350".

Often, I help other or been help myself when playing a course blind. I.E. where is the basket on a blind tee shot. How close is the OB behind the basket.

If you have to lie to a cardmate to win that is pretty pathetic.

Fair point about basket location!

I more meant, "dude you should definitely power down a driver not power up on a putter" or, "you're putting too much weight on your back foot" kinda stuff. During competition isn't the time to try to fix things that's why we practice before hand.

Often, I help other or been help myself when playing a course blind. I.E. where is the basket on a blind tee shot. How close is the OB behind the basket.

That's been my experience.

Fair point about basket location!

I more meant, "dude you should definitely power down a driver not power up on a putter" or, "you're putting too much weight on your back foot" kinda stuff. During competition isn't the time to try to fix things that's why we practice before hand.

Fair point. I never get into disc selection or trying to fix someone form during an event, not even with my closest friends.

But also given advice to Noobz first tournament ever. That was a foot fault. You can't flip your disc, and you need to mark-it. You can't splash the chain you need to drop it in.

And no I am not call a penalty on someone first tournament when they are 75 over par for the day.

Also once in a blue moon, I will give someone encouraging words when they are having a rough day. Slow down a bit and enjoy the moment positive type comments.

Just because DG'ers are allowed to give advice, doesn't mean it will affect someone else's thinking, or even enter their mind.

Consider all the advice we've given BGC, and the man's still clueless about the fact that DG shouldn't mirror everything about golf, lock, stock, and barrel.

I've been on both sides of this. Giving players a reminder/heads up about and trouble not obvious from the tee just seems like, "the right thing to do."

I've appreciated it when others have done it for me.

I've been on both sides of this. Giving players a reminder/heads up about and trouble not obvious from the tee just seems like, "the right thing to do."

I am aware of some players who hate this kind of advice, because the way they describe it, knowing about the rough/OB/whatever makes them more likely to shank the disc into it.

I keep my yap shut about the course, the weather, the terrain, etc. unless someone asks me.

I am aware of some players who hate this kind of advice, because the way they describe it, knowing about the rough/OB/whatever makes them more likely to shank the disc into it.

I keep my yap shut about the course, the weather, the terrain, etc. unless someone asks me.

I kinda follow this rule as well. a traveller in a casual round will usually have me spouting about overhang, water in play, etc. but in tourney play, I shut up as I've irked a few folks I was trying to help out....

I kinda follow this rule as well. a traveller in a casual round will usually have me spouting about overhang, water in play, etc. but in tourney play, I shut up as I've irked a few folks I was trying to help out....

IDK, this seems to be the kind of thing that one can just solve via communication.

"Oh, this your first time playing the course? I can let you know about stuff you can't tell from just looking at the tee sign if you want."

IDK, this seems to be the kind of thing that one can just solve via communication.

"Oh, this your first time playing the course? I can let you know about stuff you can't tell from just looking at the tee sign if you want."

This is a polite and effective way to handle the situation. Don't force feed the info to anybody.
Not everyone wants to hear it.

Common sense and courtesy usually get the job done.

There are tournaments at my home course and I will say to my card mates...."This is my home course, if you want I can let you know about OB, and things like that if you want." Most take me up on it.

There are tournaments at my home course and I will say to my card mates...."This is my home course, if you want I can let you know about OB, and things like that if you want." Most take me up on it.

This is my philosophy and I do it anytime I am on a course I am VERY familiar with if a card mate is not.

I was tossing a league round many moons ago when a local pro tried showing me a knuckle ball power grip. I proceeded to give it a try on the next tee and of course sent my disc sailing off of the fairway into the woods. Then said pro informed me that I shouldn't try out new throws during a league round. Gee thanks!

Latest posts