• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Glow rounds: Glow discs or LEDs

loki993

Eagle Member
Its the time of year for glow golf and I'm curious as to what people prefer. I've seen and used both and I have to say I think I prefer the LEDs. They glow bright and I don't have to worry about recharging my disc every time I throw it.

Also what setups do you prefer? Lets time I went out I used those little led sticks people put on bobbers for night fishing and they worked pretty well but they about 4 bucks a piece. Im going to try the battery LED combo next as that seems to be one of the easiest and most cost effective set up.

During the summer here I play pretty much exclusively glow, it's just too hot otherwise. We've used LEDs taped to batteries, the bandaid ones and then we tried the throw-lite ones.. which are by far my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, I like glow discs enough but I never seem to keep on top of recharging them.

We use a 4 disc Max. Must be Glo discs. You loose a disc dollar to the jar, you fall down dollar to the jar, you dont throw 40 foot off the pad dollar to the jar. You use a none Glowing Disc dollar to the jar Everytime you throw it! I broke my foot one night a few years ago and paid the jar. Nut up or Shut up!

LED's, no question. I'd recommend the coin battery and LED setup with some clear duct tape for lowest cost/highest performance ratio. Also red LED's tend to work the best for visibility and night vision.

The great thing about LED's is that you can light up your opaque premium plastic too (brighter color discs tend to work better. Oranges, pinks, yellows), so if you have a go-to disc that you like to use in the daytime you're not limited to having to track down the translucent or glow version to play at night with. Also, as mentioned, you're not burning batteries on your flashlight and ruining your night vision having to recharge every hole. That said, there are some creative UV solutions that have been shared here that can keep your stuff charged up on the regular if you absolutely want/need to go glow only.

Glow plastic all day!! I may not be able to use quite the same discs as I have in my day bag, but I hate how obnoxiously bright the LEDs are. It's just not glow golf without glow plastic!

My buddy and I plan on doing some rounds later in the day (well, 5pm ish) but since it gets pretty dark now at like 6, We plan on getting some LEDs and I have a glow Roadrunner and a Glow Gazelle, a White M4 and a White PA4, I think that is moer than enough for a round that I wont be throwing at full power.

I feel more understable stuff for the cold darkness. thats just me. with that combo the disc will glow as well as the LEDs....should be fun

LEDs without a doubt. I seldom play glow and hate glow discs during the day so it's a no brainer for me.

Shoulda made a poll. Would be interesting to see how separated peeps are on using one or the other.

EDIT: Reading ThomasOrion's post reminded me that opaque white plastic doesn't usually light up very well with LED's. Go figure.

Last edited:
Have not played a full round of glow but have been caught out in the dark lately as the days have been getting short.

We have been using LED's to the few discs we need to finish the last few holes.

I like the idea of glow discs for a full round but I would not be able to replace my bag with matching glow discs.

My solution is to use both LED's and glow.

Most of the guys at my coarse throw with the LED's… I have a few glow disc but I charge them up and by the time i get to them they are dark again. It looks like I might have to be making a Walmart run.

I use led's on my champion discs. I keep an led on my champ valk and its been taped onto the disc for over a year. Make sure you use good clear tape.

We use a 4 disc Max. Must be Glo discs. You loose a disc dollar to the jar, you fall down dollar to the jar, you dont throw 40 foot off the pad dollar to the jar. You use a none Glowing Disc dollar to the jar Everytime you throw it! I broke my foot one night a few years ago and paid the jar. Nut up or Shut up!

That sounds like a blast.....at least everything but the broken foot...

Shoulda made a poll. Would be interesting to see how separated peeps are on using one or the other.

EDIT: Reading ThomasOrion's post reminded me that opaque white plastic doesn't usually light up very well with LED's. Go figure.

I didnt think of that would have been a good idea...too bad about the 5 minute editing rule....

I don't really care as long as I'm out throwing. I use a combination and don't put LEDs on my putter (non-glow). It's always right where I throw it...in the basket*. :D

* I'm joking about never missing a putt, but I find I putt better at night. If I miss, it's easy enough to find. I also can break out the UV light if I absolutely can't find it.

Have not played a full round of glow but have been caught out in the dark lately as the days have been getting short.

We have been using LED's to the few discs we need to finish the last few holes.

I like the idea of glow discs for a full round but I would not be able to replace my bag with matching glow discs.

My solution is to use both LED's and glow.

LEDs would be much better at dusk as its getting dark enough to not really see the discs but its not dark enough for a glow disc to stand out yet....

If the course is dark enough, I prefer to use glow discs and a lit up bag. If there's a bunch of street lights nearby, LEDs are brighter. If it's wet, I prefer to not risk my LEDs and batteries, and stick to glow.

LEDs are definitely the way to go. Even with charged with a UV light glow discs lose their glow quickly.

This is not always true, I'm not sure if you have ever heard of a Steady Ed GlowFly, but that thing will glow through an entire round brighter than any other disc off of a single charge!! Some do glow better than others though, I also have a glow Rhyno that stays lit up for quite a while.

I've been using glow discs for years and never had a problem with them not being bright enough. I like to play every round as though it was a tourney round, it's a good habit, so no modified discs for me. But hey, everybody gonna do their thing just don't let your thing get in the way of mine.