• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salute to Alaska disc golf.

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
I was sending disc to a buddy today in Alaska and I asked about playing there this time of year. Anchorage is cold, figured he only got out a few times once winter set in. Nope, I was wrong. He plays every day. Now that's commitment to a sport.

What was funny was the fact he mentioned LED's. I had played there one summer, sun was up all night. Playing at midnight with the sun still up a bit. Course was empty. I forgot that's not the case this time of year. Glow golf all day long.

Salute to the tough men and women of the sport that play no matter the conditions......

I however am a fair weather princess.

I wonder what blends of plastic sell best in Alaska? Maybe more base blends because the grip is better?
And, what do discs look like when they beat in on snowy, icy terrain? Do they just smoothly wear down, covered in micro scratches, always scrubbed clean at the end of each round?

While I'm nowhere near Alaska, Wisconsin gets some nasty winter weather. I'll agree that g* is really great in the cold. It feels just like regular star in the cold. Works really well. I've never actually used ribbons or colored chalk, but I've been taping LED's to my discs and playing more glow rounds this year. Surprisingly easy to find your discs actually. Easier than during the day for the most part.

I wonder what blends of plastic sell best in Alaska? Maybe more base blends because the grip is better?
And, what do discs look like when they beat in on snowy, icy terrain? Do they just smoothly wear down, covered in micro scratches, always scrubbed clean at the end of each round?

I don't think discs beat in much in winter golf season TBH. More of an issue is summertime rocks and trees.

Our local gang hoofed it out on a frozen lake and played pop up golf in front of a glacier this last weekend. Unfortunately it was a last minute thing and I had obligations :(.

In my younger days I loved winter golf. It also helped your game to play with all those layers on.

Now I'm more fair weather but will still play on a nice day under 32.

I salute all you snowy disc golfers. I just can't make myself do it.

Born and raised in Wisconsin. It's definitely not that I can't handle the cold or the snow. Quite the opposite. I joke I was custom built for this weather, with ample insulation and a natural fur coat haha. I just prefer doing my winter things in winter, and discing the other three seasons.

I just much prefer snowshoeing and ice fishing and sledding with my kids as opposed to trying to force a hobby that's just not meant for the climate.

I applaud you people that make it work though!

Here is the actual message, figured it makes good reading:

New message:

Yea I just played two rounds in Peters Creek today with a group of friends. We have a winter singles and doubles league all winter long too. We dress warm and I pretty much have some friends that'll play everyday no matter how cold. Leds on the discs help us play in the evenings and makes them easier to find than in the day.

Sure miss playing in shorts and a t-shirt tho!!

One more thing, it was 60 here today, so of course my princess _ss played today.........

Last edited:
I've played in Ice Bowls in Florida wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I've played in Ice Bowls in Michigan with 3+ feet of snow on the ground in heavy winter attire. Wherever I'm at and whatever the conditions I will play DG whenever possible!

I salute all you snowy disc golfers. I just can't make myself do it.

Born and raised in Wisconsin. It's definitely not that I can't handle the cold or the snow. Quite the opposite. I joke I was custom built for this weather, with ample insulation and a natural fur coat haha. I just prefer doing my winter things in winter, and discing the other three seasons.

I just much prefer snowshoeing and ice fishing and sledding with my kids as opposed to trying to force a hobby that's just not meant for the climate.

I applaud you people that make it work though!

There are a lot of positives. No casuals on the course, no bugs, no rain, no ticks, no sunburn or sticky hot heat. You gotta pay attention to the wind and cloud cover, that's the most important part. If it's clear sky sunny and wind under 10 mph, I can play comfortably in almost any temp above zero. If it's 25mph winds and cloudy, even 45 degrees feels cold.

And beat up Gstar plastic discs are the greatest thing to happen for snow disc golf ever. I am by no means a particular brand fanboy and carry quite a bit of Discraft, but Innova's Gstar plastic is unmatched in this category.

I've posted a couple times, but if anyone finds themselves in Juneau this summer (or any time really), hit me up and if I'm on a stretch of days off (or even night shifts) I can provide transport to and from either of our 2 local courses.

Plus, the fishing is killer there. Did a bit while I was in town, had them sent back here to eat after my trip. Nice town and really nice people.

I've posted a couple times, but if anyone finds themselves in Juneau this summer (or any time really), hit me up and if I'm on a stretch of days off (or even night shifts) I can provide transport to and from either of our 2 local courses.

Latest posts