• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Go to distance disc for those who throw under 400ft

Those of you with average arms, what's your longest disc? Lately I've been throwing a renegade farther than anything else, but would like to hear what others bomb the best

I really like the Renegade/Archons well. I still throw these 400' but they were my best before I could. I also really like the Saint Pro, and everyone needs a champion thunderbird. Also a G line FD (jackal)
That's another one that flys really far for me. The first thing I hit 400' with was a GSTAR TL3

Don't Listen to the trilogy cult, everything i have ever thrown from them has been too glidey, bad in wind and angle sensitive, beat in too quickly, and flip easily.

Lol, ya.. listen to this guy. Don't bother with long glidey trilogy crap for a max distance driver + enforcer or stiletto for the wind. You should be filling your bag with slow glideless Axiom/MVP bricks. You asked for wind fighting control drivers right? Oh, that's right...

a couple holes at my local are ~395 ft, and I reach for my 170 opto bolt or nicely worn 158 blizz boss every time. the bolt is relatively fresh and handles wind surprisingly well if thrown cleanly, but that boss just gooooooes on calm/tailwind days.

Oh, it is real. I have seen enough little kids trying to throw z nukes/champ bosses/pinnacle rampages/etc that have problems cracking 250+ ft to verify this.

If you lack the arm strength to get a disc up to its intended speed, it will not achieve its intended flight characteristics, basically.

:hfive: word

Word indeed, when I see kids trying to throw os beef, I usually let them toss my stalker or qjls. Teebird if I like the kid. Watching their eyes light up when they realize they are putting a fairway driver past their distance driver... It gets me every time.

Lol, ya.. listen to this guy. Don't bother with long glidey trilogy crap for a max distance driver + enforcer or stiletto for the wind. You should be filling your bag with slow glideless Axiom/MVP bricks. You asked for wind fighting control drivers right? Oh, that's right...

in4d is a Legacy fanboi, not MVP, and he's wrong about Trilogy either way, but you are wrong about MVP/Axiom.

I throw both MVP/Axiom and Trilogy as most of my bag. My "6" glide Escape is no longer than my Volt, and my "6" glide Flow is no longer than my Inertia for me. The Volt is more OS than the Escape, so both get spots in my bag, and the Flow is more OS than the Inertia, but for distance, they are almost always identical. The only major difference is, I don't have to worry about the Volt or Inertia in the wind.

There are a lot of great discs out there from a lot of great companies, what good does bashing one brand do for you?

Wow tons of replies here. I was out of cell service for holidays out of county but stoked to see so many suggestions. THanks for replying gents.

in4d is a Legacy fanboi, not MVP, and he's wrong about Trilogy either way, but you are wrong about MVP/Axiom.

Hah you're all wrong, I'm a huge fan of Legacy, MVP, and even Innova.. I have at least 1 disc from each of these companies in my bag.. I will never putt with anything but Ions as soon as I get them in Baseline, its the best putter ever created for all I'm concerned. Most of my bag is Legacy but i certainly wouldnt limit myself by being a 'fanboi' of only one company..

If I could go back and recommend to my old self who threw 350-400ish max what discs to throw for 350-400+ foot straight shots it would be something like a Bolt, Katana, beat up Nuke, NukeSS, Torrent, d5, etc. King, Havoc, Sorcerer, Tern, etc. etc. are also fantastic options but -marginally- slower in my experience lol. Completely marginal lol. Though they are obviously better if you have smaller hands, but my large glove sized hands have no troubles getting a perfect grip with 2.5cm rims. The key in my opinion is to find a max speed disc, preferably with nice dome, that is understable and has the perfect amount of understability for you. The hard part is that every disc varies so your particular bolt might be just a little too understable to be comfortable or far too overstable. Overstable is the enemy of glide and max distance. There is a lot of luck involved when buying a disc, especially online, and it can be quite difficult to get lucky and find the one that is a little too overstable initially but you know will beat up in a couple weeks or a month into the sweetspot that you need.

How did we get to putter design arguments in a distance driver thread?

Someone posting while drinking again?

When someone insults my intelligence, it is obligatory to offer a retort. I am reciprocal.
It IS new years eve, I may have knocked back a few but who's counting... lol

Last edited:
I'm hitting 400 with my Lucid and Fuzion Trespass. The Fuzion drifts more right, RHBH, on a full power rip though. If I'm not looking for max D, but still want 370 I will go with the Saint/Saint pro combo.

Terns are great for that 350-400 foot max throwers. Basically anything fairly understable and fast will work. Bolt, Katana, Crank, DD2. Just find the right weight, dome and plh. I'm liking GStar Terns myself for hyzerflip distance shots. First disc I hit 400' with was a Star Tern. Dat Gliiide.

Getting older is a given, but luckily there are plenty of disc's on the market to help an aging discer these days. My go to for shots over 375 is a Champ or Echo Star Tern. The area I play in has quite a few holes in the 375 to 400 range. The Tern seems to fit my throwing style and still allows me to get it within the circle on a semi-regular basis.

This hole plays to about 440 feet. Depending upon the wind, I can grab a Tern and throw it out and around the furthest left tree in the picture and get up within 25 for a putt fairly religiously.
c8207307_m.jpg

There are a lot of great discs out there from a lot of great companies, what good does bashing one brand do for you?

You have an amazing sense of humor.

So you're going with axiom/mvp drivers for max distance then?

Ftr, I also liked their putters.

Last edited:
I do throw a little over 400, but for the max D shot I go new stamp Echo Destroyer. They're pretty US for Destroyers so they bomb. Anything under 400 I'm most likely throwing a Teebird, maybe a trashed FB.

Biofuzion Escapes went as far as any distance driver I have ever thrown, but the old comic book stamp Discraft Flashes. I can consistently put them 360'+. I honestly try not to throw super hard due to old injuries, but doubt I could really break 400' on command even gripping it and ripping it(Tin Cup, anyone?) Lol. I have noticed that Lucid Escapes finish pretty darn aggressively even at at ~170g. By no means are they an OS disc really, but they really get down when they slow down.

Latest posts