• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Go to distance disc for those who throw under 400ft

Beast, something that even a mere mortal can do a hyzer release and get a little flip for the fabled 3 angle glide. Recommended to me but I haven't tried it yet is the new Freedom.

My furthest flyers are Lucid and Bio Fuzion Escape's, Lucid Air Trespass, but my furthest is my new Lucid Freedom. I have the Renagade as well but the freedom is much faster and goes 50 feet longer.

I throw Blizzard Katanas for max distance and I've gotten pretty accurate with them. I usually hit close to 350 with them. Once in a while I'll hit 375. If there's too much wind I'll throw my beat in Star Wraith. I can get the same distance but it's much easier to get it with the Katana.

I want to try a Freedom though. I've heard it's pretty radical.

I can throw over 400 ft on flat ground sometimes, but I consider myself more of a sub 400 thrower most of the time. As always, which disc is the best is purely subjective. I believe the best max D disc depends on the course and it's fairways, which shouldn't necessarily limit an average arm to a speed 9 or 10. Valks are a thing of beauty in calm conditions, but I don't care for them if there's any hint of head or cross wind.

My wife, a truer noodle arm, prefers to throw:

Wide open fairway in calm weather or with a tailwind: Starlite Valk
Wide open fairway with headwind: DX Firebird
Tighter fairway with calm weather: Starlite Teebirds

Here's what I prefer:

Wide open fairway with tailwind: Starlite Tern
Wide open fairway with headwind: Blizzard G * Boss
Tighter fairway with calm weather: Starlite RoadRunner

Keep in mind that I listed all innova because that's the easiest brand to find in light weights and the brand I'm the most comfortable with.

Last edited:
Pro Katana, Star Tern, Bolt, King (early understable ones) are my longest discs. All of these need some room to work though. I can keep a much tighter "S" (less lateral movement) and not give up much distance with an Inertia. If I have a wide open field with tons of room for lateral movement the King just bombs. If I need a tighter line I go with the Inertia. The Katana, Tern, and Bolt are all between the King and Inertia in both lateral movement and distance. Too many sweet discs to choose from these days... even for the noodle arm.

For those that say you shouldn't be throwing Destroyers, Bosses, and Nukes until you have the arm speed I totally agree - they're meathooks for me. But I can throw every disc I listed (all understable) significantly further than a Valk. This is the modern age and they make many discs to extend distance for slower arms. You'd be a fool not to take advantage.

My furthest flyers are Lucid and Bio Fuzion Escape's, Lucid Air Trespass, but my furthest is my new Lucid Freedom. I have the Renagade as well but the freedom is much faster and goes 50 feet longer.

Just curious - how far do you have to throw the Freedom to keep it relatively straight? If you threw the Renegade and the Freedom back to back with the same throw which one would land further right/left assuming RHBH? Thanks.

Escapes for me. Similar line and feel to a TB/ Rival type Fairway, but just a bit further and with more lateral movement depending on weight and plastic.

Don't Listen to the trilogy cult, everything i have ever thrown from them has been too glidey, bad in wind and angle sensitive, beat in too quickly, and flip easily.

Don't Listen to the trilogy cult, everything i have ever thrown from them has been too glidey, bad in wind and angle sensitive, beat in too quickly, and flip easily.

wow, that kind of sounds like a disc that would be, for the most part, friendly to someone throwing sub-400'. glidey and able to turn. of course that's going to be bad in the wind. it's a max d disc.

GOOD ADVICE, BRAH.

with that said, if you wanna go trilogy i'd say GL bolt. opto can generally hold up to about 450' if you give good height. i like opto bolts.

i've heard kings go boom too.

still stand by my 1.1 solf/patriot recommendation. patriots bomb for 1.8 rim width.

Last edited:
wow, that kind of sounds like a disc that would be, for the most part, friendly to someone throwing sub-400'.

GOOD ADVICE, BRAH.

with that said, if you wanna go trilogy i'd say GL bolt. opto can generally hold up to about 450' if you give good height. i like opto bolts.

I was thinking the same. I had a river for a bit that was alright, I just like leopards better. Speaking of leopards, great driver for an under 400 arm. As is the cheetah, tl, teebird, and eagle l&x. I also have a bandit in my bag. Bought it to compare to my Valkyries, but I find it more like a sidewinder. And not the surprisingly stable sidewinders either. Heck, I could hit the course with Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Bandit, Teebird, Crave, Alias, Theory, Envy and would feel totally comfortable taking on anyone with higher speed drivers in the bag.

I max out at 400'-415' on the course (not open field) and use my Trespasses on the course for anything 375'+ unless it's tight lines, then I'm throwing the saint pro no matter the distance because my beat GL will go for days on a straight line. My trespasses have fantastic lines on the course at 400' power and cover 3/4 of my distance shots.

I just got a Halo and, man, that thing really goes. I'm thinking that plus a 170-ish opto Bolt might be the combo I need for distance. I used to love my Fuzion Renegade but as it's beaten in it just turns too much now. And I can't trust my hyzer-flipping yet, so my beloved Renegade is out of the bag. That was the first disc that really surprised me for distance.

Pro Katana, Star Tern, Bolt, King (early understable ones) are my longest discs. All of these need some room to work though. I can keep a much tighter "S" (less lateral movement) and not give up much distance with an Inertia. If I have a wide open field with tons of room for lateral movement the King just bombs. If I need a tighter line I go with the Inertia. The Katana, Tern, and Bolt are all between the King and Inertia in both lateral movement and distance. Too many sweet discs to choose from these days... even for the noodle arm.

For those that say you shouldn't be throwing Destroyers, Bosses, and Nukes until you have the arm speed I totally agree - they're meathooks for me. But I can throw every disc I listed (all understable) significantly further than a Valk. This is the modern age and they make many discs to extend distance for slower arms. You'd be a fool not to take advantage.

Minus the King & Inertia, this is my list and my opinion as well. I am a 50 year old slinger.

Have you tried the Gstar Krait? I get great s-shots out of it. Also awesome for placement drives. I was thinking about picking up a champ Krait if they're beefy.

I haven't. I recently realized I should really be working on my Putting than acquiring more distance Drivers. Due to my current technique, my Champion Krait pretty much goes the same distance as the Champion Valkyrie... and for the most part the same direction (ie. not 50+ feet right or left from my target).

I used to think it was far because I practice distance throws on a Soccer Field and was throwing beyond the field's dimensions. :)
Then later I realized I was using the kid's Soccer Field (U-12), which I think is maybe 240 feet :|. Oh well, progress is still progress.

Still need lots of work on my release and timing, it's a bit embarrassing to launch a drive right into the tree 10 feet away.

57622059.jpg

Kings do indeed net some serious D, but require more lateral motion than any other disc I've thrown, and can be really finicky (though I've heard the new run supposedly less so?). Just FYI.

Been throwing a 165gr Star Archon lately and really like it. A longer Valkyrie for me. Has a wide rim, so it might not fit for some folks.

Have a Blizzard Destroyer that I've been trying too.

Relevant to this thread - at the end of a round yesterday I threw all of my drivers as far as I could. The G* Tern outdistanced everything else by 30 feet. Runner-up was . . . S-FD, which continually surprises me with how far it flies. FD flew a little farther than the Inertia, but I will keep testing the Inertia to see how it flies after the initial break-in is complete.

I plan to keep the Tern in the bag for those infrequent occasions when a little extra distance is needed, but accuracy is not. The key is to shove the Tern in an inaccessible part of the bag so I am not tempted to throw it when I shouldn't.

^try a 160 something champ tern. the champ is pretty much a different disc compared to the other plastics (hell innova did the smart thing for once and admitted it by giving the champ tern different flight ratings). it doesn't need that much space if you can start hyzerflipping it and shooting straight. its like a leopard on steroids.

the thing I love about the tern is that its FAST, so when you have to do long tunnel shots (350 or more) you have the option of shooting through that first gap and being rewarded. we have a long 375+ft tunnel shot at my home course and one of the best options is to just shoot it through the gap and let a fast disc penetrate deep. sure another great option is to shoot a midrange down there and it'll work too but if you can throw straight a nice under stable driver you can flip up will work beautifully where you can actually start thinking about going for a birdie.

Latest posts