• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

Out of curiosity, I know someone posted elsewhere saying the rim on the Flow is not as wide as the destroyer. What is the destroyer's rim with. Google brought up some links showing 2.2cm, which would be the *same* as what Latitude said the width of the Flow was in their description:

"Flow is a high speed driver with good glide and could be described as a mix of our Halo and River. It has a domey top which gives it good lift and glide. The rim is quite sharp and comfortably wide for the grip (22mm.)"

Just curious, as I have some pain problems that are caused by the rim width of the destroyer but I'd be game to try this if it was indeed smaller.

ForeverBlue232 said:
I took my new Flows (1 Opto and 1 GL) to the field for some practice throws to see what they'd do. I also brought a few PD's and a couple Buzzzes to have a frame of reference as to how well I was throwing in general. I'm glad I brought the others with, because they showed me I was having a crappy day throwing. I maybe had only about 2 or 3 throws total that I felt good about. Right now, the Flows seem really touchy for me. If I threw them too flat, they would turn and burn. Too much hyzer, and they'd go decent but not really take advantage of the glide. The GL didn't have as much dome as the Opto, but seemed to have just as much glide. Either that or the massive Opto dome maybe actually cancelled out some of it's glide advantage. For a while, I was buying the comparison to flying like a longer PD. But I couldn't find as much consistency of flight as my PD's. In that respect, the Flow was remeniscent of the River. For me the River is all about hitting the right angle of release, and the Flow felt similar to that for me. But then again, I think I was having an off day of throwing altogether, so I'm not going to judge the Flow just on a few throws this morning. I don't think it will make my bag, but I'll give it some more throws whenever I get the chance.

Try sanding off the flashing...It makes them -.5 less stable and more controllable, with a later fade and more glide.

so i threw my buddies opto flow today. it was a 171 domey som bitch. still had the flashing but damn it crushes! i had some really easy distance drives pumping them out there across the field. i cant wait t\o get some in and deflash them. i seriously think these will give my orcs a run for theyre spot in my bag. straight as can be and definitely fly decent in a head wind. im sold.

I removed the flash and took my 171g Opto and GL Flows out on the course today. I can see the PD comparison of the Opto which makes me wonder how these will break in. My GL has some serious turn, it's not a huge turn but it is very reliable. I was getting good shots out of both of them and I could see buying an Opto and a GL and then phasing out the GL when the Opto breaks in a bit.

Tervetuloa parhaalle fribasaitille. Paras siksi, että täältä saa infoa, kun kysyy.

For me DD2 fades way too early and hard for distance when they are new. When broken in they compete for the longest disc title with ultralight Bosses. Yestreday in right rear and rear winds i had about 125 m landings with the ES DD2 175 that skipped from hard flat surface (optimum for distance) to a wall at 136 m climbing it and stopping at 137 m. A 154 Boss did exactly the same but with less fade. My DD2 P 171 was the same as the ES when new and when i released it flat it wouldn't flip. The P wouldn't fade as hard as the ES. That makes me suspect that you may not have a pure throw. Does your wrist turn clockwise at the end of the throw or does the arm drop lower in the follow through than the initial arm swing angle up to the disc ripping out of the fingers?

Wing width of 22mm is speed 12 for Innova i think.

Henri T. said:
Jeronimo said:
DD2 is the Frenzy right? Flow is actually pretty close to it in flight, Frenzy being a little more stable in my opinion.

Hello! This is my first post to this forum. I have read this forum for a while and I really like the knowledge shared here. Please continue same way in future!

Without more ado to Flow vs Frenzy. I have had one 170g P-line Frenzy(DD2) and it has been quite understable since first throw. So I had to find something same type of disc with more stable flight. Hence I purchased a 171g Opto Flow. I have to say that I suprised of the stability it has. It flyes like longer Teebird with more speed and glide. I'd describe its flight with values: Speed 10, Glide 7, Turn 0, Fade 3. Maybe these experices are result from quite big dome and almost unvisible flashing around the under rim. Let's see what happends when I sand it off... All in all I throw Flow as long thows(about 400 feet) as with Frenzy but with more precise flight. Before this the Frenzy has been my longest disc but maybe I have to change it to Flow when reaching for maximum distance with accuracy.

JR...Google translate says that you just said "Welcome to the best fribasaitille. Best, therefore, that info may be here when asked.". What the hell does that mean?

discspeed said:
JR...Google translate says that you just said "Welcome to the best fribasaitille. Best, therefore, that info may be here when asked.". What the hell does that mean?
It means that Google Translate is shit for trying to translate Finnish. =)

"Welcome to the best frisbee site. Best because in here you get information when you ask for it."

Se tarkoittaa, että Google-kääntäjä on paskaa yrittää kääntää suomea

After a lengthy day of long bombs yesterday I have come to the conclusion the Gold Line Flow is my new Sidewinder and the Opto Flow is my new WTFTHATWENTSOFAROMG driver. My blue gold line Flow turns over like a beat in Sidewinder at this point. It's not necessarily bad, it just requires more pre shot thought on a long bomb. The Opto Flow i'm throwing has a lot of high speed stability for how little low speed stability it has. It's unreal.

It was interesting to me yesterday though that I had at least one drive where it was immediately apparent to me that I had not snapped the disc (opto Flow) and merely arm launched it. In this case it's flight looked more like a wide, quick "S" and the fade was huge compared to a throw with good snap. With good snap the fade is so slow out of the turn for this disc it's ridiculous. I could see this disc being a distance winner. It must be scary what Linus can do with it.

discspeed said:
Se tarkoittaa, että Google-kääntäjä on paskaa yrittää kääntää suomea
And back again: It means that Google translator is trying to turn shit Finnish

EDIT: And to discourage further translation attemps, it finds equilibrium after that.

After getting some tosses in with these today they remind me a lot of the Z Surge SS....the gl one reminded me more of a beat pro wraith or sumthin, great carry on these though.....nothing like a PD, don't listen to this discspeed character :wink:

Just had a chance to throw my 173 pink opto flow. I was running on a time crunch so I probably only tossed this disc about 30 times BH. It had nice glide but was not a consistent turnover disc for me out of the box. It flew very nicely into a 7 mph headwind and was predictable. If I had to compare it to a common disc I would say it flew like a pro destroyer that was a 6 to 7 on the Sleepey scale. I am not really sure how this would fit into my bag atm because I really like the Nuke with its added stability. The plastic was cheery as usual but was opaque and would be easy to find on the course. When I get some more time I am interested to see how it does with the fh. My first impression overall is that it is a nice disc and I just need to use it for a week to see how it flies in different situations.

CHEERS - Koffee

Okey, this is intresting! I took the flash under the rim away completely and now it behaves lot more like it is been advertised, high speed turn changed from 0 to -2. Also the fade gomes later and smoother. I would say that fade is now 1 (before deflash it was 3). The most intresting feature of the Flow is the slow looking flight wich carries it with great glide to sneaky long distances. Now I have to add slight hyzer angle to take the best distance of it.

These discs (both my GL and my Opto) were awesome for me @ my tournament this weekend. I love this mold more than I've ever loved a new distance driver. I've been waiting on this disc since the Orc...I thinks it's fairly personal, but this disc just has the feel and flight characteristics that are perfect for my game. It flies like a super Orc that is better in the wind, can fly lower, and has more consistent LSS. For example, between rounds yesterday I ripped all 4 of my pink Optos off the same teepad. I threw them basically flat for a long flex shot, and each disc landed within a 10' circle. I also got birdies on a very difficult hole 2/4 rounds (the other two I totally shanked), both times I was the only birdie on my card. It also worked GREAT for my FH. I get a perfect release off this disc, never once seeing any OAT. Whatever the reason (as I said, my love for this disc is fairly personal), it is the only disc faster than the Orc that I've been able to get a perfectly clean FH release with.

I threw the GL when I had tailwinds and it was great. I threw my Optos into headwinds and I got reliable flights. I also used the Opto for hyzers...It flips up just a little, but comes back to hyzer and skips like a mofo...This is awesome too because I can use it where I used to use my Nuke/Boss for skips.

The Flow is 100% in my bag now, and I'm holding a spot for the PD2, which will go along with it as a more stable partner.

discspeed said:
These discs (both my GL and my Opto) were awesome for me @ my tournament this weekend. I love this mold more than I've ever loved a new distance driver. I've been waiting on this disc since the Orc...I thinks it's fairly personal, but this disc just has the feel and flight characteristics that are perfect for my game. It flies like a super Orc that is better in the wind, can fly lower, and has more consistent LSS. For example, between rounds yesterday I ripped all 4 of my pink Optos off the same teepad. I threw them basically flat for a long flex shot, and each disc landed within a 10' circle. I also got birdies on a very difficult hole 2/4 rounds (the other two I totally shanked), both times I was the only birdie on my card. It also worked GREAT for my FH. I get a perfect release off this disc, never once seeing any OAT. Whatever the reason (as I said, my love for this disc is fairly personal), it is the only disc faster than the Orc that I've been able to get a perfectly clean FH release with.

The Flow is 100% in my bag now, and I'm holding a spot for the PD2, which will go along with it as a more stable partner.

Being an Orc thrower and trying to transition to a Wraith I wish you hadn't said any of this. Ok, going to check it out.

being an orc thrower and owning a dozen and a half sb orcs,i wish you hadn't made the flow sound like magic,mike. However,that won't keep my from buyin em!

I hyzer flip my Destroyers for max D. Sometimes I get them turned over and get a nice some nice fade back, resulting in a very long throw (420'ish) that ends up right where I aim. Other times I don't quite get enough juice on it and it flips up but not over, resulting in a very straight throw that fades too hard and ends up well off the fairway (390'ish). The difference is significant and, I assume, inherent to a wide rimmed driver that's going to be very LSS. It's why I still rely on my Eagles for any hole where accuracy matters.

I know the problem is with my consistency, not the disc, but I'm all for something that would be more forgiving or consistent in this regard. Is the Flow going to put me on the fairway more often than the Destroyer? I hear faster Orc and see the +1 LSS and I start thinking the answer is yes...

emiller3 said:
I know the problem is with my consistency, not the disc, but I'm all for something that would be more forgiving or consistent in this regard. Is the Flow going to put me on the fairway more often than the Destroyer? I hear faster Orc and see the +1 LSS and I start thinking the answer is yes...

I would lean towards yes. Like I stated a few posts ago though I caught myself strong arming a shot with my Opto Flow and it was a very different flight path than a well snapped drive. You're the biggest part of the shot, but I would still say you will stay on tighter lines inside the fairway with the Flow.

emiller3 said:
I hyzer flip my Destroyers for max D. Sometimes I get them turned over and get a nice some nice fade back, resulting in a very long throw (420'ish) that ends up right where I aim. Other times I don't quite get enough juice on it and it flips up but not over, resulting in a very straight throw that fades too hard and ends up well off the fairway (390'ish). The difference is significant and, I assume, inherent to a wide rimmed driver that's going to be very LSS. It's why I still rely on my Eagles for any hole where accuracy matters.

Yes...It is much more forgiving than the Destroyer. My Opto Flow easily does what I carried two Destroyers to do when I threw them.

Latest posts