• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going All Innova

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder

Right Handed all three major throws

Experience: I've been playing true disc golf 3 years but played before that with slightly modified rules.

Avg. Distances: JK Aviar 230-265, Roc3 250-280, Teebird 270-300, Destroyer/Tern 300-335, TeeRex (FH) 320-350.

My only Handicap is that my elbow and shoulder joints are weak.

No real sport proficentices that are DG related.

I am trying to go to an Innova/Discmania bag in order to try to get consistency in plastics.
I also would like to be able to throw 375'+ consistently.

Distance Drivers
172 Echo Star Destroyer main headwind driver
168 Champion Tern main calm driver/Annys
172 Star TeeRex max d FHs
17? TI Nuke SS tailwind driver/tommys
170 Z Nuke OS windy/hard fading FHs
175 Plasma Tesla Thumbers, FHs
172 Opto Flow rare usage
155 Blizzard Wraith long turnovers/BHs that must finish right
167 Champion Beast S curves
171 Champion Beast tight tommys/turnovers
175 Gstar Beast S Curves/tight Thumbers

Control Drivers
175 Gstar Thunderbird Longer Teebird shots
171 GL Saint controlled annys
169 Z Predator FHs?
169 Z Flick FHs/Distance Thumbers/Hyzers
167 Champion Firebird FHs and long hyzers
171 Lucid Felon FHs

Fairway Drivers
175 Star Teebird main fairway both Bh and Fh
176 Z Stalker no fade straight shots
171 Opto Spark Short FHs/Short Thumbers
175 Champion Leopard3 Annys

Mid Ranges
176 MFC Roc3 Main Mid
171 1X Champ Roc3 approachs/tunnel shots
180 C MD Straight Shots
172 Champ Shark3 FHs, shorter Teebird
17? MFC Gator OS mid

Putters
171 R-Pro Rhyno Anny approaches/Short Drives
175 DX Rhyno long putts\Hyzers >150
175 Gstar Rhyno windy putter/Fh Putter
171 JK Aviar Main putter/ Long driving putter

Last edited:
I can't speak to the Latitude stuff, but here's my take. I'm 40 and throw similar distances.

Nuke OS - Probably go with an Ape here.
Nuke SS - Vulcan? Not sure on this one...
Tesla - Seems like overlap to me. What does this do the Nuke OS doesn't? IMO the Ape could be used as a FH and Thumber disc.
Flow - What situations are you using this in? If you hardly ever use it, just pull it out of the bag.
Saint - No idea
Predator - Not quite as OS as the Firebird, but pretty close. Seems like overlap to me.
Flick - A little more OS than the Firebird, but pretty close. Seems like overlap, again.
---Just drop these 2. Maybe pick up a heavier/lighter FB if you need more/less overstability
Felon - No idea
Stalker - If the Teebird isn't straight enough to fill this, maybe a TL or a lighter TB?
Spark - No idea

Just my suggestions. YMMV

If you want all innova I'd say.

Star destroyer. (You will likely hate it until it beats in a bit)

Disc mania pd

Star Sidewinder

Star leopard3 or champ leopard (leopard 3 requires more arm)

Star roc3 (typically has solid fade left)
Champ roc3 (typical more stable straight flight)
Kc pro roc (will turn right if you power it, straight and floaty if you don't)

Aviar putt and approach (dx plastic is all you need. You can get multiple to practice or a second to up shot with, however the kc pro roc will do about the same when powered down.

I would start by getting rid of a lot of those distance drivers. Everything except the nuke os for when you have to have it. You need to choose between it and the flick and firebird for now. Add others back in later. They will all do distance thumbers just fine, but you need to learn to work your discs.

What's the difference between an approach/tunnel shot mid-range and a straight shot mid-range and a main mid-range? All your mids seem to be doing the same thing.

I'd go

Teerex

8th run pd
Ppd
Firebird

Teebird
Leopard

Roc3 (pick one)
Stingray
Gator

Don't drive with your only jk aviar. Get a second one if you have to. don't expect it to last long.

I bet you could get by with just a gstar and an r pro or dx rhyno 1-2 combo. Don't putt with them. If it's that bad out, then you should've upshot with your gator or fb for a drop in.

Also, I wouldn't try to throw all discmania/innova to begin with.

You need to experiment more with your thumbers and tomahawks. Discs can work all sorts of different lines with differences in how you throw backhand, forehand and overhand.

Grab a couple pro destroyers and gstar destroyers to do field work with and throw far when you have to. You don't need anything between them and a pd. But right now destroyers aren't gonna do much for you. You're young and, given practice, I bet you'll be throwing 350-400 with a ppd before long. Work on your backhand more if you can.

Keep all the other discs for field work and fun rounds as you improve. Going with all one brand can be just as frustrating as a confused bag. "Consistency across plastics" doesn't matter, btw...Pick what throws best and throw it, but don't fool yourself into thinking you'll throw better if you're familiar with how champ, star and pro/dx/gstar feel. Just get better at throwing in general. Cycling vs slots, that's a different story...but not that much different.

Last edited:
Looks like you could do a lot of simplification.

Hate to say it, but anything faster than a speed 9 is not really gonna help that much. The only thing that is going to get you throwing longer is working on your form in a field.

Innova excels at minimalzation. Thru different plastics/ wear you can cover almost anything.

If forced to go all Innova I'd go:

Pro/ Star Destros
Champ FB
Eagles
Leo3s
MD3s
KC Aviars

I gave you my list above, and that's from my experience and a list I feel would work for you.

However, I'll just say I don't think any disc brand makes the best disc in every category. I do have overlap in my bag.

That said I really like my roc3's and my kc roc. I had buzzz but found the roc3 did the same thing, felt better in my hand, and when I threw.... BUT I have dynamic disc truth. They grip like a roc to me, but fly at least 15-20 feet farther on the same line and fade reliably like the star roc.

When it comes to reliable long left turns. The disc craft esp surge (2 in my bag, one's backup). I can take out my wallet throw it on the ground and bet everything is going to have a decent glide with a reliable sold left fade. The destroyers have a much harder quicker lawn dart like fade.

Solid straight putts I'm now using the mvp atom, driven it's straight and fades straight.. I was using challenger because I liked the feel more than the aviar, I've tried, birrdie, aviar, judge, magnet, challenger and now the atom.

So in a long winded way. I'm saying I wouldn't stick myself to just one brand unless I had to. That's just my opinion

Leopards, Gators and Colts or XDs should fit in nicely. You can also fh Gators if needed.

I am trying to go to an Innova/Discmania bag in order to try to get consistency in plastics.

When I read this, the first thing I noticed was that you're still using different Innova plastics. So you might want to choose just one plastic (Champion, Star, GStar) for everything, with the possible exception of your putting putter.

So you decide the plastic, and here are my $0.02 disc suggestions:

Teerex (forehands)
Tern (distance into tailwinds)
Destroyer (distance for calm,headwinds)
Beast (fairway driver)
Thunderbird (i could say "OR Firebird" here, with forehand in mind)
Sidewinder (understable control driver)
Teebird (It's a Teebird, nuff said)
Roc3 OR Shark3 (bead or beadless preference)
Gator (utility/trouble/headwinds)
Rhyno (throwing putter)
JK Aviar (putting only, not for throwing)

if you are trying to achieve consistency in plastics, then innova/discmania is the absolute worst decision you can make. they have the worst consistency in plastics in all disc golf companies. one run of Valkyrie will be understable, and then the next run can be just like a firebird. while no companies have absolute consistency, innova is the worst because they don't even care. Dave Dunipace (innova president) has said himself "that's just the way it is, nothing we can do about it" in regards to the inconsistencies in disc runs. he doesn't even try to fix the problem. do yourself a favor and support a different disc company, support one that actually cares about their product.

if you are trying to achieve consistency in plastics, then innova/discmania is the absolute worst decision you can make. they have the worst consistency in plastics in all disc golf companies. one run of Valkyrie will be understable, and then the next run can be just like a firebird. while no companies have absolute consistency, innova is the worst because they don't even care. Dave Dunipace (innova president) has said himself "that's just the way it is, nothing we can do about it" in regards to the inconsistencies in disc runs. he doesn't even try to fix the problem. do yourself a favor and support a different disc company, support one that actually cares about their product.

That is just the way it is. No company has consistency in runs. Innova just takes the most heat because they have more runs of their most popular molds than any other company. More runs = more variance.

The only mold I have had bad discrepancies between different discs of the same mold has been the destroyer. I would be interested in the source you have for citing Dunipace, though.

If you're trying to minimize things and keep it all Innova, I'd rock a bag like this:

Destroyer
Teebird
Firebird
Leopard
Shark
Gator
Rhyno
Aviar

Also I'd choose the roc3 as my OS/Stable mid and a kc pro roc as the under stable. The dx shark gets really Under Stable quick. Every time you power on a beat shark its going to go right real quick and glide for days.. So I guess you could just get a roc3 and use a beat dx shark for understable mid.

Another thought. I'd get a champ leopard or a star leopard3 as a thrower. As stated ^^^ a DX leopard will be a roller after a few rounds.

Latest posts